Active Users:203 Time:18/05/2024 08:10:21 AM
To be fair, the Huff Post story is a few days old, but nothing has changed. Joel Send a noteboard - 11/02/2012 07:20:32 PM
A previous story about it is linked below. (Yes, it's Kos, deal with it. :p)

Fucking Geithner.

I had been sitting on it for a couple days, but Slate had an article on it Thursday that I saw in the course of our other discussions, so I wanted to go ahead and post the older one before someone came along with the White Houses official (but badly inaccurate) statement that this is a big helping hand to homebuyers. It is not, of course; it is a big additional helping hand to banks that knowingly made bad loans. Homebuyers are largely left twisting in the wind but, as the article you linked notes, banks who committed felonies in knowingly making loans to unsuspecting borrowers get immunity from prosecution.

Perhaps the best part is the point noted at the below linked Swampland article: ANYONE who has missed a mortgage payment is ineligible for the interest rate reductions. As Times writer puts it, "only those who can still afford to pay the higher rates on their houses will get relief from this part of the fund." Obama is once again helping no one but felons and/or people who do not need it, but calling it populism. This is not an attempt to help homebuyers, it is an attempt to get re-elected.

EDIT: Oh, and via your link I also saw a Kos piece about a Republican Representative cutting to the chase on letting employers/insurers deny any and all insurance coverage based on "moral objections." Like I say, until/unless we have a public option this will be the norm.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/02/10/1063691/-GOP-Sen-Roy-Blunt-to-introduce-bill-allowing-employers-to-deny-coverage-for-any-health-service
Honorbound and honored to be Bonded to Mahtaliel Sedai
Last First in wotmania Chat
Slightly better than chocolate.

Love still can't be coerced.
Please Don't Eat the Newbies!

LoL. Be well, RAFOlk.
Swampland
This message last edited by Joel on 11/02/2012 at 07:29:05 PM
Reply to message
Robo-Signing Settlement Might Not Provide Homeowners With Needed Help - 11/02/2012 07:35:12 AM 544 Views
Dammit, I thought they had ditched this awful excuse for a "settlement." - 11/02/2012 06:27:50 PM 549 Views
To be fair, the Huff Post story is a few days old, but nothing has changed. - 11/02/2012 07:20:32 PM 497 Views

Reply to Message