Active Users:214 Time:07/05/2024 01:38:12 AM
There's a fairly legit stigma attached to 'homicidal psychopath' Isaac Send a noteboard - 07/08/2012 10:05:33 AM
I'm all for funding of asylums, like prisons they are very definitely a government function, at least to fund, and they should be funded sufficiently to provide effective and humane treatment of those there. But I don't think we can detach the stigma from the sorts of illness that cause someone to go murderously violent. I'm up for trying, as far as I'm concerned everyone has a mass murderer dwelling inside somewhere at least as a potential under sufficient stress or trauma, and there are warning signs that can head of severe incidents, but I'm not so sure there's any reasonable room for improvement. Help is available to those who need it, typically at discount or no charge, and there is patient confidentiality except in extremes. There's no particular stigma attached to couch time anymore, 'After my divorce' or family death, etc, etc 'I got some counseling' just isn't a big deal.

Increasing funding, and inevitably scrutiny, could have negative consequences too, people are generally more afraid of going to jail then going insane and a big public movement for spreading our nets wider to catch these guys beforehand ain't going to inspire confidence in those seeking help that privacy will remain intact if they express any violent thoughts. Let's also remember, even if fully half of these incidents were prevented through counseling, we'd be talking about extreme efforts to prevent around ten deaths a year. In terms of medical treatment and research I'd think we could get better bang for our buck in cancer research or something.
The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift.
- Albert Einstein

King of Cairhien 20-7-2
Chancellor of the Landsraad, Archduke of Is'Mod
Reply to message
do you have strong opinions/feelings about government mental health funding? - 07/08/2012 06:19:53 AM 536 Views
There's a fairly legit stigma attached to 'homicidal psychopath' - 07/08/2012 10:05:33 AM 396 Views
I would like to see a graph... - 07/08/2012 02:12:46 PM 344 Views
Me, too, though that would not establish causality. - 09/08/2012 01:02:16 AM 349 Views
No stronger than my feelings on public healthcare generally. - 08/08/2012 09:16:19 PM 394 Views
A local example. . . - 09/08/2012 08:25:36 PM 620 Views

Reply to Message