Active Users:246 Time:06/05/2024 08:05:07 PM
Me, too, though that would not establish causality. Joel Send a noteboard - 09/08/2012 01:02:16 AM
...of the number of violent acts committed by people classified as mentally unwell over the past 50 years, paying particular attention to the 1970s when the law changed drastically on involuntary institutionalization. While it was clearly being abused, I'm not sure how many One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest-type stories there really were out there, whether the law change was the right "fix", and how that affected violence rates.

I doubt either of us would be pleased with the results, regardless. Except the UT Tower shootings rt referenced, I recall no Columbines prior to 1999, since which they have become alarmingly common. It is certainly suggestive all perpetrators were born in the '80s or '90s, when mentally ill shooters became increasingly common even as gun control became increasingly strict. Perhaps the rest were before my time, but I also recall no John Hinckleys, Mark David Chapmans or David Berkowitzes prior to the Son of Sam murders. We certainly do not want the merely eccentric forcibly confined (let alone lobotomized,) but can just as certainly strike a better balance between that and allowing hordes of the dangerously deranged to run free, get guns and kill.

That said, it may not be as simple as tighter restrictions on involuntary commitment. Another growing phenomenon of our lifetime is equating community with communism, government with tyranny and anarchy with freedom. Even in the '70s sociologists and psychologists warned the resulting isolated alienation would breed loners enraged at a society they feel (rightly, to a great extent) abandoned them. If we insist everyone is on their own, society only formalized competition with no pity for losers, is it surprising some losers try to vengefully and violently settle the score with whomever is handy? We cannot expect them to value the fellow human lives we define as foes. When calls for public aid meet shouts of "LET THEM DIE!" those in need will naturally respond, "you first...." It is as certain as it is wrong.
Honorbound and honored to be Bonded to Mahtaliel Sedai
Last First in wotmania Chat
Slightly better than chocolate.

Love still can't be coerced.
Please Don't Eat the Newbies!

LoL. Be well, RAFOlk.
Reply to message
do you have strong opinions/feelings about government mental health funding? - 07/08/2012 06:19:53 AM 536 Views
There's a fairly legit stigma attached to 'homicidal psychopath' - 07/08/2012 10:05:33 AM 395 Views
I would like to see a graph... - 07/08/2012 02:12:46 PM 344 Views
Me, too, though that would not establish causality. - 09/08/2012 01:02:16 AM 349 Views
No stronger than my feelings on public healthcare generally. - 08/08/2012 09:16:19 PM 394 Views
A local example. . . - 09/08/2012 08:25:36 PM 620 Views

Reply to Message