Active Users:212 Time:18/05/2024 10:21:31 AM
Perhaps Sagans subsequent suggestion we nuke Mars to make it habitable. Joel Send a noteboard - 05/12/2012 11:00:08 PM
I consider it revealing that the US MILITARY objected on the grounds of danger to human life, while the scientific communitys only concern was contaminating the lifeless lunar surface. That kind of inverts the popular view of scientists as noble idealists who alone stand between soullessly homocidal generals and murderous abuse of technology.

Well, first of all, the article said that the scientists "also" registered concerns about the dust thing, not that they "only" registered concerns about it. For all we know, they were concerned about the danger to human life as well. I'm not sure your interpretation is justified.

If the scientists raised the same concerns about human risks as the military did the AP and Daily Mail wrote their respectivee articles poorly, since neither suggests that. You are a journalist; how hard would it have been to say something like "scientists and military leaders feared a launch failure would endanger people on Earth, and the former also feared the effects of fallout on the lunar surface"? Their wording was admittedly ambiguous, but gives the impression the generals feared the project might kill people, while the scientists merely worried it could mess up their lab.

, how did you get your headline about Sagan advising them to nuke the moon? All the article says is that Sagan did some calculations for them as part of the planning. Sounds more likely that he was part of a team contracted to look at the feasibility, since he was "a young graduate student". The article says that his calculations were related to the release of dust and gas, not that he was the chief proponent (or even a proponent) of the project. So I'm not sure how you go from there to Sagan advising the military to nuke the moon. Advising them on some of the potential consequences of nuking the moon, it rather sounds like.

He was very much a proponent of nuking Mars to terraform it (pretty much the only one, IIRC.) Presumably, if he thought unleashing the entire US and USSR nuclear arsenal on Mars would leave it fit for human habitation, the literal fallout from dropping a single A-bomb on the Moon probably did not bother him much either. It may not have been Sagans idea, but if not he probably wished it were (it certainly seemed to give him ample inspiration a generation later.)
Honorbound and honored to be Bonded to Mahtaliel Sedai
Last First in wotmania Chat
Slightly better than chocolate.

Love still can't be coerced.
Please Don't Eat the Newbies!

LoL. Be well, RAFOlk.
Reply to message
Carl Sagan Advised US Defense Department to Win the Space Race by Nuking the Moon - 02/12/2012 05:04:40 PM 697 Views
Way to jump the shark, Carl. *NM* - 02/12/2012 06:48:30 PM 152 Views
Agreed - 06/12/2012 12:17:16 AM 436 Views
Am I missing something? - 03/12/2012 08:18:25 PM 477 Views
Perhaps Sagans subsequent suggestion we nuke Mars to make it habitable. - 05/12/2012 11:00:08 PM 437 Views
Re: Journalists - 05/12/2012 11:27:10 PM 460 Views

Reply to Message