Active Users:177 Time:18/05/2024 09:43:21 PM
I am familiar with the definition. Joel Send a noteboard - 14/08/2013 01:29:28 PM

View original postThere is strong physical evidence of Martin hitting Zimmerman and slamming his head to the ground. Zimmerman had a broken nose and cuts on the back of hand while Martin had abrasions on his knuckles. There was an eyewitness he saw martin on top of Zimmerman beating him with repeated punches. There is no evidence either physical or from witness the Zimmerman ever struck Martin with anything besides a bullet. Martin was thirty seconds from his fathers home yet the fight started four minutes after that. Sounds like martin circled back just like Zimmerman claims.

"Circled back" on someone who LEFT A VEHICLE AND APPROACHED? Please. How many HS kids stalked at length by an adult stranger would decide, "Gee, now that I am finally within a few yards of my house, should I go get my dad and/or go where there are walls, witnesses and allies? Nah, turning around and facing him one one one was not a good idea for the past fifteen minutes, but I will do it now that I finally have a safer option." That is not granting the benefit of a doubt, it is uncredibly manufacturing nonexistent doubt.

We do not know EVERYTHING that happened, (at least) partly why proving murder was impossible. We know some concrete physical facts though, indisputably, despite nonetheless persistent dogged dispute of them. The biggest documented certainty is that Zimmerman came after Martin, for some time and to an escalating degree. We also know, in general, that picking and losing a fight is apt to end with the attacker on their back with injuries to same. Stand Your Ground basically says, "So?" That goes back to Cannolis original point: By removing any duty to end a fight—at any point—Stand Your Ground laws almost inevitably ensure many more fights end in death. It is no longer enough to simply subdue or even incapacitate an attacker who can respond with and EXCUSE lethal force so long as there are no credible witnesses: Until/unless they are dead they remain a clear and present danger. Just making America that much safer for kids and adults alike, even in their own neighborhoods.

The fact is Martin did not initiate the encounter: Zimmerman pursued him for some distance by car, long enough for a conversation with a police dispatcher (at least two separate ones, IIRC,) then LEFT his car to get closer, at which point things got physical, Zimmerman got the worst of it and ended up on his back getting punched, then shot and killed Martin. That is not self defense or justifiable homicide, and the only one who stood his ground was Martin: Which got him killed. What it actually "sounds like" is the worst fears of those who oppose guns on demand were realized: Someone with a gun picked a fight they lost, at which point they escalated to lethal force, shooting and killing the victim.

View original postDespite you using all caps for the word fact there is zero evidence that Zimmerman confronted Martin. Sorry I know you may have been mislead by the race baiting morons who populate the airwaves but stand your ground really doesn't mean you can turn and beat the shit out of someone you think is following you. It isn't self defense to attack someone who is following you it is assault.

There is zero evidence Zimmerman confronted him—apart from a lengthy vehicular pursuit ending in Zimmerman exiting the vehicle. Did he get out of his car just to chat? Like, he could not just roll his window down, it was busted or something? I do not get out of my car when I want to just TALK to a stranger on the street (especially if I strongly suspect they are a criminal,) have never seen a cop do it and strongly doubt Zimmerman ever has either. He got out of his car because he could use his mouth from inside it, but not his hands, and that should be pretty obvious.
View original postAs for how innocent Martin was there is no reason (well outside of the need to call it profiling) that Martin was not behaving as oddly as Zimmerman claimed in his 9-11 call and Martin dis have a history of violence and he had been caught at school with burglary tools and stolen items. So sorry the claim that it is a FACT the Martin was innocently walking home is not support be any actual evidence.

Apart from the fact he was, as noted, thirty seconds from his home, possessed no stolen items and has never been implicated in any crime committed that night. But let us just presume him guilty until proven innocent anyway, right? Even though what there is no evidence of is that he DID commit any crime; the only evidence he was "behaving oddly" is his killers rather convenient testimony. Even if true though, behaving oddly in front of ones home is not a crime, much less a capital one.

See any irony in ignoring most available concrete evidence we while complaining people ignore all the evidence?

View original postFunny how no one got upset when a black man was acquitted in NY for shooting a white teenager who he confronted for breaking into cars and then shot twice when the kid lunged at him. But then again that case didn't support the world view of the talking heads and the sheep who follow them so it wasn't important, you know sort of like the actual facts in the Zimmerman case. You do not need actual facts when you know the real FACTS.

Yeah, it sounds like the difference is 1) THAT kid was indisuptably committing a crime and 2) undeniably initiated a physical confrontation. I am white; rest assured that I oppose black men (or anyone else) killing me for no reason. I already acknowledged the right to self DEFENSE up to and including lethal force, but picking a fight precludes self defense.

Hence neither factor in the other case was present in Martins: NOTHING even suggests he committed a crime that night (sorry, a months or years old burglary charge does not justify killing someone) and what evidence we DO have clearly shows Zimmerman approached him, not the reverse. Claiming Martin "doubled back" from his own doorstep to confront someone who exited a vehicle to get closer is implausibly illogical.

Meh. I have no interest in enduring another up-is-down defense by role reversal. We have each said our piece and will not agree, so further discussion can accomplish nothing. Feel free to reiterate rebuttals/denials, but please do not mistake silence for agreement with or concession of any of it.

Honorbound and honored to be Bonded to Mahtaliel Sedai
Last First in wotmania Chat
Slightly better than chocolate.

Love still can't be coerced.
Please Don't Eat the Newbies!

LoL. Be well, RAFOlk.
Reply to message
Okay, how can you use the Trayvon Martin case AGAINST the stand-your-ground laws? - 17/07/2013 10:15:55 PM 948 Views
You forgot to mention that Zimmerman didn't actaully use a stand your ground defense *NM* - 18/07/2013 02:03:51 AM 309 Views
the judge included it in the instructions to the jury - 19/07/2013 04:37:43 AM 507 Views
I love the let me say my piece then end the convesation tactic - 19/07/2013 11:50:02 AM 491 Views
Sources - 19/07/2013 12:35:39 PM 620 Views
so she did - 19/07/2013 01:08:08 PM 478 Views
um, when did the collegiate sports organization get involved in politics? - 18/07/2013 08:17:24 PM 846 Views
I imagine he meant to type NAACP. *NM* - 18/07/2013 08:25:26 PM 253 Views
It's a combination of even more guns in circulation and no duty to retreat if you feel threatened - 18/07/2013 09:13:47 PM 472 Views
blacks are incarcerated at a higher rate because they commit crime at a higher rate - 19/07/2013 04:31:06 AM 502 Views
[citation needed] - 19/07/2013 06:12:04 PM 442 Views
Don't be tedious, such a claim is unprovable but also the most logical inference - 19/07/2013 07:10:22 PM 500 Views
If logic says so, then obviously that must be the only course of action possible.... - 19/07/2013 07:44:44 PM 570 Views
Um, how'd you get that out of my remarks? - 19/07/2013 08:48:09 PM 466 Views
Honestly, I feel like we are getting into some dangerous territory here - 24/07/2013 06:25:15 PM 547 Views
I wonder what we can call the racism version of Godwinning. - 24/07/2013 07:01:20 PM 474 Views
Reductio ad Racism maybe? *NM* - 24/07/2013 08:16:28 PM 220 Views
We? I don't feel I'm in dangerous territory at all - 24/07/2013 08:10:24 PM 415 Views
lets look at your numbers becuase they are interesting - 20/07/2013 03:25:31 PM 465 Views
The short answer is you cannot; Martin stood his ground in an unprovoked attack and died for it. - 11/08/2013 09:01:36 PM 490 Views
so you are choosing to ignore the actual evidience and eye witnesses testimony? - 13/08/2013 09:04:09 PM 474 Views
What evidence and eyewitness testimony do you have in mind? - 13/08/2013 11:19:30 PM 472 Views
You really need to look up the fact since you appear to not know what it means - 14/08/2013 11:53:05 AM 444 Views
I am familiar with the definition. - 14/08/2013 01:29:28 PM 441 Views

Reply to Message