Active Users:331 Time:03/05/2024 12:31:28 AM
Re: kids and media - what do you do and why? Macharius Send a noteboard - 04/03/2014 09:00:49 PM

View original posti've got a 19mo old and haven't made up my mind on almost any of these questions. sooo, i was curious as to what other rafo/wot parents are doing with their little ones. here's a few things i was wondering about. this is for parents of kids of all ages, including people who are thinking about being parents and thinking about what they might do... if you've got kids who aren't old enough for some of the things in the survey, feel free to estimate or make stuff up, haha

View original post1 - when did you first allow your kids to watch a tv show? why that age, if you had a reason?

About 18 months, but only for about 20 minutes at a time sporadically through the day. Why? Because my wife and I needed a break from the hyperactive little monster!

View original post2 - what was the show? why that show?

His first show is Backyardigans and he really likes the singing and dancing. Then Netflix took it off Play Instantly, and he moved on to Thomas, Bob the Builder, etc.

View original post3 - do you have cable/satellite, or do you just use dvds or internet for tv?

DVDs and internet/Netflix. We prefer Netflix, because kids' DVDs are horrible for marketing crap that you can't avoid.

View original post4 - at what age did you first take your kid to a full length movie? Which movie?

Haven't done so yet; he doesn't have the patience.

View original post5 - what age do you think is appropriate for a child to see their first movie length feature at home?

We've been doing that for a while now. He almost always can't sit still through the entire thing.

View original post6 - what was the first movie you showed your kids? why did you choose that movie?

Cars, because we thought he'd like it so much he'd stick with it longer than most other movies we could've picked out.

View original post7 - is there a show that you're nostalgic about and love watching with your little one?

Nope.

View original post8 - do you think there's any difference between screen time via facetime vs tv shows?

Obviously, FaceTime is interactive so much more "real" than passively observing the TV.

View original post9 - how old will your kid be when you get them a tablet or let them use yours?

We don't have a tablet, but the little S steals my wife's phone all the time. He's two, but is able to swipe, launch the Netflix app, and find/start shows he wants to watch on said app.

View original post10 - how old was your kid when they first figured out how to unlock your phone via swiping?

A month or so ago, 2.

Reply to message
kids and media - what do you do and why? - 04/03/2014 05:24:47 PM 717 Views
We just said "screw it" and don't restrict too much. - 04/03/2014 07:42:27 PM 498 Views
thanks! *NM* - 05/03/2014 02:01:03 AM 304 Views
we used to be fairly strict but we are less so these days - 04/03/2014 08:11:32 PM 485 Views
thanks! *NM* - 05/03/2014 02:00:19 AM 272 Views
Re: kids and media - what do you do and why? - 04/03/2014 09:00:49 PM 664 Views
thanks! *NM* - 05/03/2014 01:59:58 AM 258 Views

Reply to Message