Active Users:200 Time:17/05/2024 12:23:41 PM
Evelyn doesn't watch much television. And I'll try to keep it that way. Rebekah Send a noteboard - 05/03/2014 01:08:47 PM

Mostly because the children's shows over here are TERRIFYING. They'd likely give me nightmares.

The only modern programme she's watched is a lovely adaptation of a Scottish children's book series called Katie Morag. It's very cute, and is about a little girl who lives on a small island off the coast of Scotland. She has gentle adventures, and it's basically about family and island life. The episodes are about 15 minutes long.

I prefer for her to play with her toys, draw pictures, watch me in the kitchen, etc, than watch TV, and she's very good at entertaining herself. It will likely change as she gets older, and as we have more children, but for now I will keep her screen time very limited.

View original post1 - when did you first allow your kids to watch a tv show? why that age, if you had a reason?

I'm not sure how old, maybe 18 months? She was old enough to enjoy such things and we wanted her to see it. Was also a good way to keep her occupied when she was in a grump, and gave her some cuddle time with her Dad because they watched it on the computer together.
View original post2 - what was the show? why that show?

Thomas the Tank Engine, naturally with Ringo narrating. We let her watch that because the episodes are short - 5 minutes - they're lovely and we both grew up watching them so there's the nostalgia part too. They are classic children's television.
View original post3 - do you have cable/satellite, or do you just use dvds or internet for tv?

Um. We have TV that comes via broadband, but is the normal TV stuff. It has a lot of OnDemand content. We also use YouTube and DVDs.
View original post4 - at what age did you first take your kid to a full length movie? Which movie?

She hasn't gone yet. I'd imagine about age 4 would be appropriate because of attention span. And it will likely be a Disney film or similar.
View original post5 - what age do you think is appropriate for a child to see their first movie length feature at home?

I've put on a few Disney films already, and she has a 1-hour DVD with counting rhymes. She'll focus for the whole hour for that - perhaps because it's interactive - but not for films. She was probably 18 months when we got the DVD.
View original post6 - what was the first movie you showed your kids? why did you choose that movie?

The live-action Peter Pan, and I chose that because I wanted to watch it.
View original post7 - is there a show that you're nostalgic about and love watching with your little one?

The afore-mentioned Thomas.
View original post8 - do you think there's any difference between screen time via facetime vs tv shows?

Um.
View original post9 - how old will your kid be when you get them a tablet or let them use yours?

We don't yet have one in the house! And she'll be at school before she gets her own, and only if she needs it.
View original post10 - how old was your kid when they first figured out how to unlock your phone via swiping?

She doesn't get to play with our phones so she's not yet worked it out.
View original postthat's all i can think of... thanks!

*MySmiley*

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
Reply to message
kids and media - what do you do and why? - 04/03/2014 05:24:47 PM 720 Views
We just said "screw it" and don't restrict too much. - 04/03/2014 07:42:27 PM 501 Views
thanks! *NM* - 05/03/2014 02:01:03 AM 306 Views
we used to be fairly strict but we are less so these days - 04/03/2014 08:11:32 PM 489 Views
thanks! *NM* - 05/03/2014 02:00:19 AM 274 Views
Re: kids and media - what do you do and why? - 04/03/2014 09:00:49 PM 668 Views
thanks! *NM* - 05/03/2014 01:59:58 AM 260 Views
Evelyn doesn't watch much television. And I'll try to keep it that way. - 05/03/2014 01:08:47 PM 563 Views

Reply to Message