Active Users:309 Time:02/05/2024 09:19:14 PM
It shouldn't be the people who apparently are deciding. nossy Send a noteboard - 23/11/2014 04:36:36 PM

View original postNo. Because I, at least, am aware of my limitations of knowledge. I did not spend eight years of adult education and a grueling internship to become a medical professional, and I am not going to tell them how much they have to charge for their services. Not being an administrator of such businesses, I also have no way of knowing what it costs to bring medical equipment and supplies to a remote island chain. Hawaii is infamous for the high costs of everything else. The laws of economics and supply and demand, and the costs of transportation are not suspended because it's for something you really, really, REALLY want.

This is disingenuous. Of all the people on RAFO, only two or three brave souls comment more authoritatively than you on any number of subjects. I have always assumed you didn't have university degrees on more than one of these topics, but I apologize if I am wrong.
Hawaii wants its tourist trade really, really, REALLY bad, so they presumably are fairly well-equipped to keep people alive in emergencies. But, you are possibly correct that it is just for those who can afford it.
View original post
You're first telling people they have to have babies,

View original postWho is doing that?

I could be wrong about this, but it is my impression that Jeo is not pro-choice.
View original post
should they find themselves in that position, then saying that they have to afford whatever ridiculous bill the hospital throws their way.

View original postHow do you know it was ridiculous? What services were provided? What costs did they incur? We know nothing. We know that the people unhappy with the bill claim it was too much.

I have not personally seen the laundry list of events/meds, but as someone who once received a bill (pre-insurance) of $2400 for a very brief hospital stay, I feel confident that costs are not always representative. I had a $300 charge for a doctor I literally said one sentence to and saw for roughly three minutes. If they are going to use your health, or that of your child, as a way to get rich (or stick it to the man, as you assert below), they need to warn you first. That's what I find ridiculous. Example, before you go off again: the same doctor I barely saw issued me a prescription for a $120 bottle of antibiotics (4 pills). I had no idea while I was at the hospital, but when I got to Walgreens it was too late - they had a suitable generic, but they cannot always issue it if the other is specifically called out. Had I known such a thing was possible, I would have demanded at the hospital that a cheap antibiotic was prescribed.

Additionally, I live in a country where I could have a child for almost nothing, comparatively. As does this couple. The govt is presumably not paying $950,000 for me to do that, so I believe it's possible to offer the service and associated emergency procedures for quite a bit less.

View original post
If the bills were normal for what most people could afford, it would be a different situation. They aren't. They are dictated by the insurance of those who can afford it.

View original postThey are dictated by the same government that is currently involved in a highly controversial attempt to regulate and interfere to an unprecedented and incredible degree in the insurance industry. Government regulations that protect health insurance companies and force them to cover cheaply or for free, every odd ailment or situation that comes along with a sob story are what drives those prices up. You want to slash the prices of medical care in this country? Outlaw insurance. That way the insurance will all be underground and black market. The government will not be able to force employers to insure all their employees. The insurance companies will not require massive overhead and administrative costs to medical care providers for reimbursement. If medical insurance is outlawed, they will not be able to pass laws forcing companies to cover this that and everything else, which drives the prices for everything else through the roof. Medical providers end up overcharging to compensate for all the freeloaders, and for the insurance companies that don't pay out (particularly the government-run ones like Medicare). This "damn the insurance companies, make them pay" mentality is exactly why hospitals overcharge, such as double digit prices for a single aspirin pill, because most of their payment comes from insurance companies, that will either stiff them, thanks to regulatory loopholes, or else pay up and pass the costs onto their paying customers. The various mandates that force people or companies to buy medical insurance enable to the insurance providers to be less responsive to their customer's needs. Notice how many more commercials there are on TV for every other kind of insurance? Because no one publishes articles whining about this guy's or that woman's car or home repair costs, so no one forces insurers to provide that, or imposes responsibilities to cover certain claims on those companies. Because people are free to pick and choose, to buy coverage only for what they need or want. There is no government program like Medicare or Medicaid for other areas of insurance activity. Customers have the power to a much greater degree than they do over health insurance companies, and so they must pander to the general public.

So, somehow, in listing all that is wrong, you don't come to the conclusion that this particular couple shouldn't have to suffer potential bankruptcy because of a shitty system? We'll have to disagree on that, I suppose.

View original postWho says the expectations were reasonable? Sure the couple says that, but a couple that was being UNreasonable would say the same thing. I find it rather unreasonable to expect a short-term traveler's insurance policy should cover nearly a million dollars in expenses.

It's your turn to make assumptions then? We don't know what they paid for this short-term insurance, and short-term insurance makes a LOT of money, because most people don't make a claim against it. It wouldn't exist as an option if the co. couldn't make money on it. Additionally, if they are telling the truth, they were told that they were covered.
Reply to message
Canadian couple considering bankruptcy after $1 million bill for US hospital stay - 20/11/2014 07:56:18 PM 1144 Views
Let's embrace the health care system that failed to diagnose a high risk pregnancy! - 21/11/2014 01:23:21 AM 641 Views
That's... kind of irrelevant? - 21/11/2014 04:53:28 PM 633 Views
Says who? - 22/11/2014 01:09:17 AM 618 Views
This. - 24/11/2014 11:36:44 AM 626 Views
You have clearly lost the plot - 22/11/2014 04:38:36 PM 615 Views
Absolute mindblowing insanity. - 21/11/2014 05:49:25 PM 591 Views
So here's a question.... - 21/11/2014 10:34:55 PM 669 Views
Reasonable bills should be paid. - 22/11/2014 12:26:14 AM 659 Views
Who decides what is reasonable? - 22/11/2014 01:48:00 AM 547 Views
It shouldn't be the people who apparently are deciding. - 23/11/2014 04:36:36 PM 661 Views
My only criticism is the couple's refusal to accept aid. - 22/11/2014 02:08:28 AM 628 Views
I partially agree with the sentiment. - 23/11/2014 04:47:52 PM 623 Views
This case does littel to nothing to advance the argument on health care - 24/11/2014 04:41:13 PM 669 Views
Well - 29/11/2014 05:05:10 PM 599 Views
not saying it isnt an issue just that it has nothing to do with obama care - 30/11/2014 01:38:53 PM 540 Views
Ah. - 30/11/2014 09:32:54 PM 557 Views
I widsh this country could have a real discussion on healthcare reform - 30/11/2014 11:52:15 PM 572 Views
That's all a bit beside the point... - 22/11/2014 02:34:06 AM 684 Views
Yeesh. - 23/11/2014 04:42:47 PM 563 Views
Seems to me the problem is with the 'doctors getting sued' issue. - 23/11/2014 07:27:07 AM 588 Views
nope. but thanks for playing! - 25/11/2014 11:01:10 PM 634 Views
Re: nope. but thanks for playing! - 26/11/2014 02:58:21 AM 635 Views
oh the irony. - 26/11/2014 03:25:40 AM 654 Views
This is partly the President's fault. - 30/11/2014 03:45:01 AM 689 Views

Reply to Message