Active Users:311 Time:05/05/2024 08:06:09 AM
Eh, Europe is different. Legolas Send a noteboard - 04/12/2015 01:27:23 AM

View original posthe's the only candidate so far to at least acknowledge that we cannot simply cast aside a negotiated settlement, even if the terms are not to our benefit (assuming he even read the agreement). every other candidate has come out on record as either completely opposing the deal and/or proclaiming their first act will be to pull the US out of it. diplomacy exists for a reason, and it's not clear the other candidates understand how it should be used.

What's clear - hardly new, though perhaps becoming ever more stark - is that voters will reward candidates for making imbecile statements and promises of imbecile actions that nobody with a brain expects them to live up to. And then in the next election the voters can rail about having been cheated yet again, poor things.

I do agree that, somehow, Trump has far more liberty to set his own course than other candidates, without being punished for it in the polls, which allows him to sound more reasonable on some things. On the other hand, there's the countless cases where it makes him sound insane and the idea of him in the White House profoundly scary.

View original postthey both pay for themselves, the funding issue is where to draw the line on how they are funded. currently only the first $120K-ish of income is taxed. if this cap is lifted, the funding question answers itself. no republican will ever admit to this, because it angers the billionaires they rely on to run larger campaigns. Trump is the only republican to say there should be no change in both plans, everyone else will either privatize it or put severe limits on benefits and/or access to benefits.

But does he also advocate lifting that cap then? I have more respect for politicians - like Chris Christie - who acknowledge that they can't keep funding Medicare the way it works now since they aren't willing to raise taxes for it, than for politicians who steer well clear of threatening the sacred cow but never bother to explain how they'd fund it.
View original post
View original post- abortion exemptions for rape and incest

View original postExemptions, huh?

View original posthey, it's better than the outright lies Fiorina, Cruz, Carson and Huckabee have put out there. at least he isn't comparing abortion to slavery and murder?

That was an attempt to be funny about your phrasing error, 'exemptions' instead of 'exceptions'. Agreed that Trump is among the more pro-choice Republicans, but as a foreigner I've never really considered abortion as a fundamental litmus test in politics to be honest.
View original posti guess my main problem with all of them -- and the US political scene in general -- is that they increasingly remind me of the rise (and assassination) of Pim Fortuyn. xenophobic, fascist rhetoric; denigration of immigrants and refugees; and all in the name of making (country) better. the biggest difference is that most of Europe seemed to be pushing the message "These people are ridiculously intolerant and you should not support them". in the US we get "Both sides do it" -- even though it's pretty much only the republicans that have gone off the deep end (with a handful of dems helping them along). also, in the US we're probably much more likely to assassinate the opposition viewpoint to the republicans, so ...yay us?

You just can't compare. Since there are always more than two parties here, it's more complex and people aren't split as strongly into two camps - and our anti-immigrant right is usually centrist or even leftist on economic issues (not unlike the original fascism), while the most socially conservative voters are always the Muslim immigrants, who tend to vote for left-wing parties despite their progressive policies which they abhor. A bit similar to all those deeply conservative black voters in the South staying loyal to the Democratic Party, I guess.

I think many Europeans would, in fact, agree about the 'both sides do it' - personally, at least, I'd probably belong on the left wing of the Democratic Party on most issues, but all the same I'm often uncomfortable with the polarized, aggressively partisan rhetoric or stances of the American left. They're really not better than the right, it only seems better because we like the left's positions better. You'd have a hard time explaining the Daily Show and its popularity to most Europeans - it's only marginally less alien to us than Fox News shows.

Reply to message
Majority of Americans support Trump's Immigration Plan - - 25/11/2015 05:02:05 AM 1047 Views
Having a lot of people be wrong with you makes you no less wrong - 25/11/2015 01:59:12 PM 396 Views
Building a fence is no problem, just takes some money. - 25/11/2015 05:35:23 PM 403 Views
and the amazing thing is: Trump is the *moderate* republican in this race! - 25/11/2015 06:51:32 PM 352 Views
No, he's not. - 25/11/2015 07:18:00 PM 473 Views
actually, he is - 02/12/2015 12:27:07 AM 402 Views
So you are sating that Hillary and Trump are on the same page? - 02/12/2015 04:11:00 PM 445 Views
Only if you ignore or arbitrarily dismiss the actual moderate candidates. - 02/12/2015 06:56:24 PM 556 Views
i don't see how single-digit candidates have any bearing this close to Iowa - 03/12/2015 12:26:16 AM 463 Views
Huckabee won Iowa in 2008. That is how important it is *NM* - 03/12/2015 01:54:21 PM 186 Views
to the larger points I didn't address previously.... - 03/12/2015 07:52:42 PM 525 Views
and one more from last night - 03/12/2015 10:17:31 PM 579 Views
Eh, Europe is different. - 04/12/2015 01:27:23 AM 510 Views
You're either delusional, tweaked outta your mind, or an idiot. *NM* - 26/11/2015 12:54:37 AM 185 Views
the answer is D *NM* - 26/11/2015 02:54:06 PM 175 Views
another well thought out politcal argument for planet bizzaro *NM* - 26/11/2015 02:53:39 PM 170 Views

Reply to Message