Active Users:200 Time:19/05/2024 09:27:28 PM
It always bugs me during a game when I see a guy who's playing good but his rating drops from a pick Cannoli Send a noteboard - 31/12/2010 07:28:55 AM

I started to respond the other night, but by the time I was three paragraphs in I was too inebriated for thorough point by point analysis, so I just got drunk and finished watching Superman instead. Don't worry, I WILL get back to you....
Oh, right. Not that I'm judging here or anything, but I keep wondering why people encourage me to take up drinking all the time. I have absolutely no moral qualms against it, and it's far too meshed into the culture to have any feeling of superiority towards those who do indulge, but I just cannot see the attraction of shutting down my brain like that. To me it seems like temporarily crippling or blinding yourself for a transient thrill followed by intense sickness upon recovery of your proper functions. There must be something to it, or else people wouldn't keep doing it, but I just cannot see what. I wonder if this is like admiring Egwene...

That book is, as the kids say, made of win. I think the League goes out of its way to make the PRS as mystical as possible, but thanks to that one book you can it takes a couple minutes to approximate passer ratings to one decimal IN YOUR HEAD (or precisely if you use a calculator/pencil). There are so many counterintuitive but eminently logical statements in those pages, and they make their points with such excellent humor that even after practically memorizing it I still read it from time to time for fun. Plus I was able to come up with a PRS of my own that factors in things like rushing ability and tendency to cough up the ball (really, if a pick 40 yards downfield is a 100 point penalty, shouldn't a fumble behind the LoS cost more? That's 2+ potential points worth of difference!) It's very interesting to me how coaches started going for it on fourth and short a lot more, offensive linemen started making decent money (well, tackles anyway) and fantasy football exploded on the scene all in the wake of that book. I still feel awful when I see a team lose a game because of a fluke PAT that wasn't good (like the 'Skins did against the Bucs two weeks ago; they have NO luck with PATs). People tell me how Montana and Elway were the best QBs EVAH111, then I point out that in his ten year career Otto Graham was 7-3 in Championships and they shut their punk mouths.
And he didn't have a West Coast offense or the greatest receiver in modern football to catch his passes and run fifty yards. One of Graham's main targets looked more like an interior lineman. But as you say, their breaking down of the rating system means I cannot help but notice such things in a football game. Particularly this season, when Eli Manning has had so many passes bounce from his receivers' hands into a defender's arms. He completes over 60% of his passes for substantial yardage and maybe even some scores, but a couple of plays that were hardly his fault make him look inferior to his opposite number who is likely to spend more of his career carrying a clipboard or taking snaps for teams playing for the top draft pick.

That's also behind my proposal that all forward passes should start at the line of scrimmage. IMO, if it hits the ground behind the line, it should be a free ball. That would eliminate any tuck-rule nonsense and pretty much end intentional grounding, or at least force the quarterback to take some risks when throwing it away, while still allowing them to advance a batted ball or throw forced into the ground by a sack. Also, all passes caught behind the line and carried for yardage gained would then count as running plays. Why should the quarterback get credit for a play where he is the only man on the field who has NOTHING to do with the gain of yards, since the play is a loss at the point when he ceases to be relevant. At least the linemen and other receivers contribute by blocking and whatnot, but the precious golden arms cannot be risked by such assistance. Yet, their completion percentage rises for making a pass that the average couch potato could manage, and as tHGoF makes clear, that is far and away the most important factor in the PRS.
Cannoli
“Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions.” GK Chesteron
Inde muagdhe Aes Sedai misain ye!
Deus Vult!
*MySmiley*
Reply to message
What the heck were old-timey kids into?! - 22/12/2010 02:18:07 AM 861 Views
I honestly don't understand what's depressing about Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas..? *NM* - 22/12/2010 04:05:04 AM 142 Views
That one's the soporifc tune, rather than the lyrics. - 22/12/2010 05:17:52 AM 332 Views
Hm, okay. You're not the first person I've heard it from, though. - 22/12/2010 06:51:35 AM 307 Views
No, but I feel safe around old guys with shovels. - 22/12/2010 08:32:28 AM 279 Views
Find and listen to the James Taylor version. - 22/12/2010 02:10:21 PM 269 Views
Still nothin'. ~shrug~ *NM* - 23/12/2010 03:35:42 AM 161 Views
Santa Claus is Coming to Town sounds like every totalitarian regime in history. - 22/12/2010 05:42:15 AM 5398 Views
George Bush or George Dub-ya Bush doesn't fit. But Barack Obama, on the other hand... - 22/12/2010 08:30:53 AM 433 Views
Has five? *NM* - 23/12/2010 03:03:16 AM 151 Views
I'm never sure if you're serious, trolling or just looking for things to get you pissed. - 22/12/2010 07:12:24 AM 300 Views
Now, now... - 22/12/2010 07:44:16 AM 786 Views
I'm talking about the psychological effect on the kid who THINKS his mom is fooling around *NM* - 22/12/2010 08:25:00 AM 117 Views
I'm not sure how much a kid could appreciate the trauma. - 24/12/2010 12:08:12 AM 360 Views
I love that book! I got for Christmas in 89 . - 25/12/2010 01:35:27 AM 367 Views
Yeah, we were discussing realingment the other day. - 25/12/2010 01:36:44 PM 474 Views
It always bugs me during a game when I see a guy who's playing good but his rating drops from a pick - 31/12/2010 07:28:55 AM 407 Views
well you can expect a lump of coal in your stocking *NM* - 22/12/2010 05:23:29 PM 130 Views
Ooo, a Cannoli Post! - 24/12/2010 06:04:42 PM 531 Views

Reply to Message