Active Users:186 Time:19/05/2024 09:45:57 PM
Yeah, I know that feeling; I wish they'd factor in the field position change. Joel Send a noteboard - 08/01/2011 02:52:13 AM
One of the (many) reasons I favor going deep on 2nd and 2 is that a pick 40 yards downfield isn't really any worse than a punt. It's far from optimal; if you have a drive going and you give up possession that's obviously bad, worth about 4 potential points by itself, but it's only as bad as giving up a TD if it happens at the line of scrimmage.
I started to respond the other night, but by the time I was three paragraphs in I was too inebriated for thorough point by point analysis, so I just got drunk and finished watching Superman instead. Don't worry, I WILL get back to you.... ;)
Oh, right. Not that I'm judging here or anything, but I keep wondering why people encourage me to take up drinking all the time. I have absolutely no moral qualms against it, and it's far too meshed into the culture to have any feeling of superiority towards those who do indulge, but I just cannot see the attraction of shutting down my brain like that. To me it seems like temporarily crippling or blinding yourself for a transient thrill followed by intense sickness upon recovery of your proper functions. There must be something to it, or else people wouldn't keep doing it, but I just cannot see what. I wonder if this is like admiring Egwene...

Heh, well, I usually take the view that my mind is a far more entertaining toy than my body, but it seems Norway has more stills per capita than any place but AL. I did more drinking in two weeks of Christmas holidays than I normally do in a year, but, strangely in a country where 70% of people told one pollster they don't believe in ANY personal god, the place pretty much shuts down over Christmas (as well as Sundays, and most of Holy Week).
That book is, as the kids say, made of win. I think the League goes out of its way to make the PRS as mystical as possible, but thanks to that one book you can it takes a couple minutes to approximate passer ratings to one decimal IN YOUR HEAD (or precisely if you use a calculator/pencil). There are so many counterintuitive but eminently logical statements in those pages, and they make their points with such excellent humor that even after practically memorizing it I still read it from time to time for fun. Plus I was able to come up with a PRS of my own that factors in things like rushing ability and tendency to cough up the ball (really, if a pick 40 yards downfield is a 100 point penalty, shouldn't a fumble behind the LoS cost more? That's 2+ potential points worth of difference!) It's very interesting to me how coaches started going for it on fourth and short a lot more, offensive linemen started making decent money (well, tackles anyway) and fantasy football exploded on the scene all in the wake of that book. I still feel awful when I see a team lose a game because of a fluke PAT that wasn't good (like the 'Skins did against the Bucs two weeks ago; they have NO luck with PATs). People tell me how Montana and Elway were the best QBs EVAH111, then I point out that in his ten year career Otto Graham was 7-3 in Championships and they shut their punk mouths. :P
And he didn't have a West Coast offense or the greatest receiver in modern football to catch his passes and run fifty yards. One of Graham's main targets looked more like an interior lineman. But as you say, their breaking down of the rating system means I cannot help but notice such things in a football game. Particularly this season, when Eli Manning has had so many passes bounce from his receivers' hands into a defender's arms. He completes over 60% of his passes for substantial yardage and maybe even some scores, but a couple of plays that were hardly his fault make him look inferior to his opposite number who is likely to spend more of his career carrying a clipboard or taking snaps for teams playing for the top draft pick.

That's also behind my proposal that all forward passes should start at the line of scrimmage. IMO, if it hits the ground behind the line, it should be a free ball. That would eliminate any tuck-rule nonsense and pretty much end intentional grounding, or at least force the quarterback to take some risks when throwing it away, while still allowing them to advance a batted ball or throw forced into the ground by a sack. Also, all passes caught behind the line and carried for yardage gained would then count as running plays. Why should the quarterback get credit for a play where he is the only man on the field who has NOTHING to do with the gain of yards, since the play is a loss at the point when he ceases to be relevant. At least the linemen and other receivers contribute by blocking and whatnot, but the precious golden arms cannot be risked by such assistance. Yet, their completion percentage rises for making a pass that the average couch potato could manage, and as tHGoF makes clear, that is far and away the most important factor in the PRS.

It's an interesting proposal, but seems too much like bringing the bounce pass to the NFL. Why should a one hopper picked up and run for a TD be an incomplete if the receiver's 5 yards past the line but a game winner if he's 5 yards behind it? Don't forget that, while it may help his PR, as far as the official NFL stats go, a TD pass thrown anywhere is credited to the receiver, not the QB; I think that's enough to make up for giving them 15 PR points when they throw a pass for -5 yards.

But, really, the nice thing about this and so many other things in THGoF is that they demystify the system, and once we understand it we can tweak it in ways everyone can understand and fine tune a better system more people can accept, or at the very least articulate their objections to it and the alternatives. I don't mind crediting QBs with what amount to short running plays if they initiate them, provided they get the blame for bad plays as well as the credit for good ones. Probably the biggest thing that needs to be done is cut the value of completions in half, but without getting into how we'd like to modify the existing PR bonuses, I think it's past time we factored in things the League ignores. With that in mind I've concocted what I call a "QB Rating System" because it evaluates overall performance as a quarterback rather than purely as a passer. Obviously I don't have a convenient metric for playcalling; the League doesn't track audibles and there's no way to know which plays come from the sideline and which from the QB, but ball handling and rushing have been too long neglected by the PRS, and here's how I propose that be remedied:

The simplest thing is to also count:

rushing yards,
rushing TDs like passing TDs
lost fumbles like interceptions

Each of those actions counts as an attempt (fumbles recovered by the QBs team count as attempts for the yards lost), but only positive yards count as completions. Be sure not to count TD yardage/attempts twice (it would be a lot better if we could find interception return yardage, but team data is the best that's likely there).

You can subtract 2/7 of a TD if the QB is sacked for a safety and/or add 2/7 if he runs or passes in a 2 point conversion, but both are rare enough to have little impact. You can also double the fumble penalty (or half the interception penalty) since interceptions are usually down field but QB fumbles near the line. Everyone's seen blindsided QBs lose the ball; the PRS penalizes 100 points per pick, even 40 yards away with no return (i.e. a punt), but since LoS fumbles cost about three times as much in terms of potential points doubling the penalty is, if anything, generous.

This does NOT automatically favor runners, who tend to be sacked more. It mainly penalizes otherwise good passers who hold the ball too long in a rush, giving up sacks or, sometimes, fumbles, almost invariably lowering ratings. However, really good runners (like Vick and McNabb) can make up ground, because their scores fall LESS.

As the authors note when The Hidden Game of Football dissects the system, any RADICAL leader change would make a new system uselessly suspicious. Under this one, QBs good and bad remain just that, but there's definite shuffling. In fact, it helps (though by no means eliminates) one problem plaguing the PRS for years: Comparing modern passers to '40s and '50s era T formation QBs is hard; comparing them to older “passers” who might throw a dozen (and run forty) times in a game is impossible. For a smaller comparison, Steve Young’s still second overall for best season rating:

Young 324/461 35 TDs 10 INTs Sack: 31/163, Rush 58/293 7 TDs 3/4 TOs

Old: 112.79 New: 105.87

Manning 336/497 49 TDs 10 INTs Sack:13/101, Rush 25/38 0 TDs 2/5 TOs

Old: 121.10 New: 113.46

This is typical; both ratings drop about 7 points (a particularly good/bad runner can be ±5) but Youngs famous ability to run for TDs and yards is good for an extra half a point, not nearly enough to challenge what remains about an 8 point lead. Young would make up more ground, but suffers from nearly three times as many sacks for 50% more yardage (in my system sacks are essentially incompletes that costs yards) as well as losing nearly twice as many of his fumbles.

Incidentally, another benefit to this approach is that it factors in every single offensive action that can occur. That means you can rate not only QBs, but ANY ball carrier (receivers can have a completion percentage, too, and it's a far more meaningful statistic for them) or even whole offenses. It's not nearly as good for defenses; so many scalars are necessary to produce stats for comparison that almost any other approach would be preferable.

Really, the only beef I have with the West Coast offense in itself is the risk/reward ratio. If teams want to dink and dunk their way to the end zone that's fine by me, but how many times have you seen a DB jump one of those quick outs and have nothing between him and the end zone but empty air? If you want to spend a dozen plays getting to the end zone, more power to your ball control clock consuming offense, but the smart way to do it is on the ground. Given the far greater likelihood of a passing rather than rushing turnover I want the vast majority of my teams passes to be for either first downs or touchdowns. I don't mind vastly increasing the risk coefficient, but I insist on proportionately inreasing the reward coefficient. You need enough short passing to keep the defense honest, but shouldn't make it your focus.
Honorbound and honored to be Bonded to Mahtaliel Sedai
Last First in wotmania Chat
Slightly better than chocolate.

Love still can't be coerced.
Please Don't Eat the Newbies!

LoL. Be well, RAFOlk.
Reply to message
What the heck were old-timey kids into?! - 22/12/2010 02:18:07 AM 861 Views
I honestly don't understand what's depressing about Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas..? *NM* - 22/12/2010 04:05:04 AM 142 Views
That one's the soporifc tune, rather than the lyrics. - 22/12/2010 05:17:52 AM 332 Views
Hm, okay. You're not the first person I've heard it from, though. - 22/12/2010 06:51:35 AM 307 Views
No, but I feel safe around old guys with shovels. - 22/12/2010 08:32:28 AM 279 Views
Find and listen to the James Taylor version. - 22/12/2010 02:10:21 PM 269 Views
Still nothin'. ~shrug~ *NM* - 23/12/2010 03:35:42 AM 161 Views
Santa Claus is Coming to Town sounds like every totalitarian regime in history. - 22/12/2010 05:42:15 AM 5398 Views
George Bush or George Dub-ya Bush doesn't fit. But Barack Obama, on the other hand... - 22/12/2010 08:30:53 AM 433 Views
Has five? *NM* - 23/12/2010 03:03:16 AM 151 Views
I'm never sure if you're serious, trolling or just looking for things to get you pissed. - 22/12/2010 07:12:24 AM 300 Views
Now, now... - 22/12/2010 07:44:16 AM 786 Views
I'm talking about the psychological effect on the kid who THINKS his mom is fooling around *NM* - 22/12/2010 08:25:00 AM 117 Views
I'm not sure how much a kid could appreciate the trauma. - 24/12/2010 12:08:12 AM 360 Views
I love that book! I got for Christmas in 89 . - 25/12/2010 01:35:27 AM 367 Views
Yeah, we were discussing realingment the other day. - 25/12/2010 01:36:44 PM 474 Views
It always bugs me during a game when I see a guy who's playing good but his rating drops from a pick - 31/12/2010 07:28:55 AM 407 Views
Yeah, I know that feeling; I wish they'd factor in the field position change. - 08/01/2011 02:52:13 AM 432 Views
well you can expect a lump of coal in your stocking *NM* - 22/12/2010 05:23:29 PM 130 Views
Ooo, a Cannoli Post! - 24/12/2010 06:04:42 PM 532 Views

Reply to Message