Active Users:160 Time:17/05/2024 05:23:11 AM
Win some, lose some Cannoli Send a noteboard - 15/11/2012 11:29:32 PM
this is the exact kind of situation that many anti-abortion folks insist is such a rare occurrence that we should not provide exceptions for it. so i ask those on this board who feel that abortion should always be illegal no matter what: is it worth it to you and your ideals that both the baby and the mother have died even though the procedure could have spared her life?
At the expense of another life? You can't just go back and say "If you had killed this already-doomed innocent person, another one would have lived." And that kind of hindsight bullshit still doesn't cut for a cannibal.

"This is a Catholic country," was what Irish doctors told Savita Halappanavar after she learned she was miscarrying her pregnancy and asked for an abortion to avoid further complications. She spent three days in agonising pain, eventually shaking, vomiting and passing out. She again asked for an abortion and was refused, because the foetus still had a heartbeat.

Then she died.

She died of septicaemia and E Coli. She died after three and a half days of excruciating pain. She died after repeatedly begging for an end to the pregnancy that was poisoning her.

Medical stuff, please? How do they know the pregnancy was poisoning her? I don't see anything cited to support the obviously partisan writer's contention.

Her death would have been avoided if she had been given an abortion when she asked for it – when it was clear she was miscarrying, and that non-intervention would put her at risk. But the foetus, which had no chance of survival, still had a heartbeat. Its right to life quite literally trumped hers.
In what world do you live where the life of a baby is NOT generally considered equal or superior to that of the mother?

US politicians and "pro-life" advocates like Joe Walsh will tell you that there are no circumstances under which women need abortions to avoid death or injury. The Republican platform doesn't include an exception for medically necessary abortion. And the Republican party is trying to put laws similar to those in Ireland on the books in the United States – laws that would allow emergency room doctors to refuse to perform abortions, even in cases where the pregnant woman's life or health depends on terminating the pregnancy. The GOP isn't exactly the most science-friendly or fact-reliant crowd in the world, but to them, women like Savita either don't exist or just don't matter.
No, it's millions of babies that don't exist or matter to the rest of you. We simply refuse to murder one person on the off-chance it might save another. According to the pro-abortion special interest groups, that's no more than six hundred a year. I'll trade those 600 dead mothers to spare over 1,000,000 infants, thank you very much.

As Jodie at RH Reality Check writes:

"These are the lives of your sister, your mother, your daughter, your aunt, your friends, and your colleagues. These are the lives at stake. These are the very people that the fanatical anti-choice and religious right see as 'not people'.

Provide a fucking quote, you contemptible whore! It is the pro-abortion crowd that goes around defining human lives as not people'!

The lives we are concerned about those of our neices & nephews, our siblings, our grandchildren and the children of our friends and colleagues, who are being murdered en masse to enable degenerate behavior on the parts of the whores the so-qualified "Jodie" feels such empathy for.

They are all Savita Halappanavar.

We are all Savita Halappanavar.
Literally the only thing I know about that woman is that she was willing to murder her child to save her own ass.

But we do not have to die at the hands of misogynists.
Well some of us are no more sanguine about the infants who you would allow to die at the hands of tramps & sluts.

In honour of Savita Halappanavar; in honour of the nearly 22 million women worldwide each year who endure unsafe abortion; in honour of the 47,000 women per year worldwide who die from complications of unsafe abortion and the estimated 10 times that number who suffer long-term health consequences;
Ho I call that naturally occurring justice.

in honour of the millions of women who do not have access to contraception, who have no control over whether and with whom they have sex or whether or with whom they have children, we can fight back.
Life is sad. That is not a license for murder.

In honour of the young girls married young and the women forced to bear children long past the point they are able to care for more … for all these women, we must continue to act, to liberalise abortion laws, ensure every woman has access, remove the stigma, and trust women, like Savita, who know when it is time to end even the most wanted pregnancy."
Who the hell says she knew? What proof does anyone offer that she was not some desperate, selfish bitch clawing for any non-existant hope? You, who claims to have science on your side, now demand that women's intuition be a criteria for the forfeiture of a human life?

Just two months ago, a consortium of Irish doctors got together to declare abortion medically unnecessary.

Doctors, you unbelievable imbecile! Our side has doctors, your side has "Jodie," a nameless member of some girl power coven. Not only that, but doctors acting against their own financial interest, by closing off a quick & simple procedure that could earn them money, without having to provide nine months of care for a patient.

They claimed that abortion is never needed to save a pregnant woman's life, and stated: "We confirm that the prohibition of abortion does not affect, in any way, the availability of optimal care to pregnant women."

I'm pretty sure Savita Halappanavar would disagree. I'm pretty sure she didn't get optimal care.

Well, I'm going to go with the medical professionals. The late Miss Halappanavar might disagree, but who the hell makes her medically correct, or morally right?
Cannoli
“Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions.” GK Chesteron
Inde muagdhe Aes Sedai misain ye!
Deus Vult!
*MySmiley*
Reply to message
woman dies after doctors deny her a life-saving abortion - 14/11/2012 06:58:31 PM 1251 Views
this is so terribly sad. keeping abortions legal is important. *NM* - 14/11/2012 07:09:00 PM 224 Views
Maybe this is more a testament to the quality of care in that hospital than an arguemnt for abortion *NM* - 15/11/2012 01:49:00 PM 239 Views
Can you elaborate? - 16/11/2012 04:07:48 PM 453 Views
Do you have access to her medical charts? - 16/11/2012 08:44:45 PM 457 Views
Statistically speaking... - 15/11/2012 07:03:51 PM 475 Views
Where did you get your statistics from? - 15/11/2012 09:19:29 PM 708 Views
Psst. - 15/11/2012 09:43:35 PM 517 Views
I'm pretty sure his 0.3% figure comes from - 15/11/2012 10:01:29 PM 430 Views
That would certainly change the difference between the numbers. - 15/11/2012 10:07:42 PM 498 Views
Re: Statistically speaking... - 15/11/2012 10:56:35 PM 470 Views
Where's the due process? - 15/11/2012 11:35:39 PM 545 Views
First, prove that the fetus is a "ONE". - 16/11/2012 04:14:34 PM 418 Views
That argument is specious - 16/11/2012 08:36:07 PM 436 Views
But you cannot call another living person an "environment." Only for parasites. - 16/11/2012 10:16:18 PM 409 Views
Yes I can, look up the word environment - 17/11/2012 11:49:55 AM 538 Views
No, I do not accept the risk of pregnancy. - 20/11/2012 01:41:07 PM 415 Views
Re: No, I do not accept the risk of pregnancy. - 20/11/2012 03:59:19 PM 424 Views
well said - 20/11/2012 05:27:11 PM 523 Views
I agree, but it does not matter. - 16/11/2012 08:26:17 PM 421 Views
Win some, lose some - 15/11/2012 11:29:32 PM 578 Views
In other words, if you don't want to die, become a lesbian. *NM* - 16/11/2012 04:16:23 PM 237 Views
stop calling women whores - 16/11/2012 04:55:49 PM 508 Views

Reply to Message