Active Users:175 Time:20/05/2024 05:42:09 PM
Senator DeMint (R, SC, tea party leader) will leave Senate, will be head of largest con. think tank Roland00 Send a noteboard - 06/12/2012 06:00:29 PM
DeMint Will Leave Senate to Run Heritage Foundation
By JENNIFER STEINHAUER
Published: December 6, 2012

WASHINGTON — Senator Jim DeMint, the conservative Republican from South Carolina who helped incite the Tea Party movement, will leave the Senate to become president of the Heritage Foundation, a conservative research group.

“It’s been an honor to serve the people of South Carolina in United States Senate for the past eight years,” said Mr. DeMint in a statement. “But now it’s time for me to pass the torch to someone else and take on a new role in the fight for America’s future.

The departure of Mr. DeMint — who has fashioned himself into a bit of a kingmaker for conservative Republicans, often at the expense of his own Republican colleagues — will require Gov. Nikki Haley of South Carolina, a Republican, to name a successor who would then run to maintain the seat in a special election in 2014, when Republican Senator Lindsey Graham, the senior senator from the state, will be up for re-election.

Mr. Graham told a local radio station Thursday that when Mr. DeMint, whom he called “irreplaceable in many ways” told him the news, he said “don’t tell me what you’re about to tell me.”

Mr. DeMint will depart the Senate in January.

“I’m leaving the Senate now, but I’m not leaving the fight,” he said. “I’ve decided to join The Heritage Foundation at a time when the conservative movement needs strong leadership in the battle of ideas. No organization is better equipped to lead this fight, and I believe my experience in public office as well as in the private sector as a business owner will help Heritage become even more effective in the years to come.”

Mr. DeMint replaces Edwin J. Feulner, 71, who will continue part-time as chairman of the foundation’s Asian Studies Center.

Senators and Major Congressman don't do this unless they do not like the way the legislature body is heading. You take your ball and go home when you do not like the way the game is being played anymore.

I hope the Democratic filibuster reform goes far enough and is not just a fig leaf hiding the fact nothing really changed.
NYT
Reply to message
Senator DeMint (R, SC, tea party leader) will leave Senate, will be head of largest con. think tank - 06/12/2012 06:00:29 PM 406 Views
Seems petty of him. - 06/12/2012 06:16:52 PM 238 Views
cushy posts are the hallmark of a post-congressional career - 06/12/2012 06:24:42 PM 224 Views
Remember when Obama was gonna change all that...? - 06/12/2012 10:07:31 PM 221 Views
Whatever - 06/12/2012 06:26:46 PM 247 Views
I may *completely* dislike both Feinstein & Boxer... - 06/12/2012 09:26:21 PM 231 Views
Guess Obama made healthcare DeMints Waterloo.... - 06/12/2012 10:04:45 PM 368 Views
I'm totally fine with it - 06/12/2012 11:28:32 PM 216 Views

Reply to Message