Active Users:205 Time:18/05/2024 04:09:42 PM
I don't believe it has ever been swept under the rug in our lifetimes Isaac Send a noteboard - 07/02/2013 12:40:55 AM
I frankly find this pretty damn disrespectful to the audience, "Here's a map". There's nothing concrete about this, data on deaths rate is is freely available and it's just a death count by county, a couple months isn't enough time to know if the rate has gone up or down, and a map is hardly necessary to discuss that. How would me putting up a map of abortions by place or suicides by place add to those conversations? This isn't a high resolution freeway map we can use to see which exits and stretches have abnormal crash rates, it's a superficial and useless construct that might as well be a population density map.

It would be more useful if it was regional block map showing gun deaths relative to population and racked up the deaths over a couple decades rather than a couple of months.

excluding suicides we still had over 15,000 gun deaths in 2012. at a rate of over 40 per day, it's quite easy to just not notice how many people die every single day in this country. when i say "more concrete" i mean a visual representation of what exactly having more guns than anyone, anywhere, means on a day to day basis.

Possibly for you, and some others, these is an easier format to comprehend the matter. I have difficulty seeing how but then I'm very comfortable with raw numbers and data so I may be biased. Nonetheless I really don't see how it adds to the conversation. For me it is a simple matter to know the approximate population of the country and lifespan and say "roughly 10,000 people die everyday of various causes" and I am not really aided by a pin-map by location, since I instantly know that it either is a rough parallel to a population density map and rather irrelevant, or that it is statistical significant, such as increased cancer deaths by location, in which case I won't see that from two months of data, unless it were 'Hurricane deaths from X hurricane' in which case I'd still need it adapted against population density for most applications.

What you really mean is that you think this will 'bring it home' for some people, that a map is more of a tear-jerker than a simple number. Maybe, though probably not for most people, and regardless it would remain a purely emotional argument. You've added nothing new in data or logic. You merely descend to the level of commercial advertising, attaching kittens or cute kids or bikini-clad ladies to sell your prescription for life's problems.

sure, from a statistical standpoint this map tool does nothing to break down trends or motivations, even if you read through all 1600+ articles linked to each body in the chart. having all of the deaths represented like this in front of you makes it a bit harder to just pretend that we don't have a real problem with gun violence in this country. and that is the reason i call it more concrete.

Proper word there 'more personal' not 'concrete'. I also resent the implication I'm 'pretending' we don't have a gun violence issue, I simply don't believe the suggested treatments by the left are worth the cost, I view them as parallel to using homeopathic or alternative medical remedies. Ineffective, inefficient when they have positive effect at all, and often doing nothing or even making things worse, all under the justification that 'we have to do something', which is not a good reason to shoot a cancer victim up with snake oil.
The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift.
- Albert Einstein

King of Cairhien 20-7-2
Chancellor of the Landsraad, Archduke of Is'Mod
This message last edited by Isaac on 07/02/2013 at 12:46:15 AM
Reply to message
1600 gun deaths and counting since Newtown massacre - 06/02/2013 05:40:29 PM 1185 Views
I like how you say 'something more concrete' to describe 'nothing new' - 06/02/2013 10:38:35 PM 681 Views
i guess in this case "more concrete" means "not just swept under the rug anymore" - 06/02/2013 11:38:52 PM 707 Views
I don't believe it has ever been swept under the rug in our lifetimes - 07/02/2013 12:40:55 AM 680 Views
Your point being? Killing people is whole point of guns. - 07/02/2013 12:02:24 AM 676 Views
You actually buy the bull**** the NRA tries to peddle? - 08/02/2013 08:00:40 PM 906 Views

Reply to Message