Active Users:193 Time:18/05/2024 05:31:54 PM
we will have to continue to agree to disagree then moondog Send a noteboard - 08/02/2013 06:06:38 PM
sure, from a statistical standpoint this map tool does nothing to break down trends or motivations, even if you read through all 1600+ articles linked to each body in the chart. having all of the deaths represented like this in front of you makes it a bit harder to just pretend that we don't have a real problem with gun violence in this country. and that is the reason i call it more concrete.

Proper word there 'more personal' not 'concrete'. I also resent the implication I'm 'pretending' we don't have a gun violence issue, I simply don't believe the suggested treatments by the left are worth the cost, I view them as parallel to using homeopathic or alternative medical remedies. Ineffective, inefficient when they have positive effect at all, and often doing nothing or even making things worse, all under the justification that 'we have to do something', which is not a good reason to shoot a cancer victim up with snake oil.

we have laws which prevent law enforcement from not only tracking guns used in crimes, but prevents law enforcement from prosecuting dealerships which sell guns to criminals. and also prevents statisticians from keeping records on gun crimes. most of us in favor of stricter laws believe that these are the first which should be enforced, or the barriers which were erected to prevent their enforcement taken down so that police can do their job to catch people who commit criminal acts with guns.

i'm not saying you, specifically Isaac from RAFO, are pretending there is no gun violence problem, but you do have to admit that until the Newtown massacre happened, gun deaths were rarely mentioned unless they were attached to a spectacular story. in fact, gun deaths are so mundane to most people that the arguments against stricter laws all center around the fact that the amount of gun violence is just a given for living with "freedom". all this web tool does is put gun deaths front and center for people who would otherwise not pay attention.
"The RIAA has shown a certain disregard for the creative people of the industry in their eagerness to protect the revenues of the record companies." -- Frank Zappa

"That's the trouble with political jokes in this country... they get elected!" -- Dave Lippman
Reply to message
1600 gun deaths and counting since Newtown massacre - 06/02/2013 05:40:29 PM 1185 Views
I like how you say 'something more concrete' to describe 'nothing new' - 06/02/2013 10:38:35 PM 681 Views
i guess in this case "more concrete" means "not just swept under the rug anymore" - 06/02/2013 11:38:52 PM 707 Views
I don't believe it has ever been swept under the rug in our lifetimes - 07/02/2013 12:40:55 AM 680 Views
we will have to continue to agree to disagree then - 08/02/2013 06:06:38 PM 689 Views
Your point being? Killing people is whole point of guns. - 07/02/2013 12:02:24 AM 676 Views
You actually buy the bull**** the NRA tries to peddle? - 08/02/2013 08:00:40 PM 906 Views

Reply to Message