Active Users:318 Time:15/05/2024 06:48:07 PM
No one expects the Online Inquisition! Joel Send a noteboard - 27/12/2012 05:20:44 PM
Our chief weapons are petulance and syntax. ;)
The Observable Universe is a significant, but rather anthrocentric, distinction. Considering existence literally from a human perspective inevitably puts us at its center, but that is an arbitrary perspective with little logical justification or likelihood of accuracy. What do Dark Matter and Energy do to the Observable Universe? :P

Well observable and actual are a bit more tied here since once something red shifts outside our light cone it is effectively gone forever in all conceivable respects, it may as well be in another universe except that I find it vaguely more probable we'd find a way to enter alternate universes than reach those places.

Gravity still has infinite range though, so we are not talking about things having NO (only a negligible) effect on us at great distance. Additionally, distant massive objects can still influence other distant massive objects between us and them, and the latter can in turn influence us. Even were neither of those things true, just because something is too far removed to affect us does not mean it no longer exists; there could be a incredibly great difference between the Observable and Whole Universes (though of course the very nature of the first makes that impossible for us to determine.) Ultimately, "observable" is just a very sensible qualifier that discourages assumptions and reduces the likelihood of later embarrassment.

As an aside, if we further simplify "cogito ergo sum" to a phenomenological rather than identity statement it is a rigorously established fact; debating it at all proves at least one phenomenon of SOME kind is occuring. Logically progressing from there to a particular identity is arguably as challenging as taking the same route from Deism to a particular creed, but the basic assertion of existence is unassailable. Details and definitions are the tricky (but fascinating) part.

From a logic standpoint I view it as part of the logic train that concludes by stating as an unprovable but necessary assumption that you can draw meaningful conclusions about the world around you from the data your senses offer processed through your mind.

"Processed through the mind" is a hefty qualifier, and still an assumption. There remains reason to doubt its veracity, and it is unprovable. The latter is ONE criterion of axioms, but not the only one, and the former violates the criterion of self-evidence. You happen to see Jupiter come within 2° of the Moon the other night? My senses told me the latter was MUCH bigger, just as they tell me the moon covers more arc at the horizon than at azimuth, but of course my senses are filthy liars on both counts, and rather brazen ones since they persist in both falsehoods despite my brain exposing each long ago. Drugs, stress and illness can each cause completely unreliable hallucinations. Kant tells us we cannot be sure our senses accurately report all data, but Heisenberg tells us we CAN be sure they do NOT.

Existence is sure, else there would truly be naught to discuss: No Relativity, subjectivity nor Observer Effect, nor anything to debate them. All else is supposition more or less likely in proportion to total supporting evidence; it is nigh impossible for that evidence to reach the level of incontrovertible proof. Necessity is not validity.

It got better as both actor and character developed, but we literally just finished watching Nemesis, so I will hear not a word against my fellow Houstonian. O^

He is a good actor but one doesn't see him in much, and ST: Nemesis was not a stellar movie IMHO

It was OK, I just did not care for the ending; if they were going to give him the Spock treatment they should have gone all the way. People often expect too much of Hollywood, and it sometimes expects too much of itself. Checking its Wikipedia page revealed Nemesis' box office was "only" $67 million domestic and foreign, which made it a "failure" so disastrous Paramount abandoned the NextGen franchise.

Same with Superman Returns: The studio expected $500 million, so when it GOT a "mere" $450 million the entire reboot was scrapped as an embarrassing mistake. Thus, ironically, Superman Returns' excellent and extensive effort to maintain continuity with the previous films (down to recyclying the main theme and ending with the trademark curtain call in front of the spinning Earth) was all for naught, because Man of Steel ignores both that film and all previous ones.

As Tom Bosley would say, "That's Hollywood," which today seems to mean gleefully violating all our treasured childhood memories because they so deeply inspired some producer he wants to remake them in his own image. :[ "I want to do something ORIGINAL!" Yeah? Try creating your OWN world then; if you want to do the classics, leave them as you found them, because they are not your exclusive property (really.) About the only person who has any excuse for such behavior is Lucas, who at least created the worlds and stories he butchers for (more) fame and profit now.</rant>

I misspelled "achievement." *self-flaggelates* :P I think we are essentially on the same page here though, yes. Since I am far more supportive of requiring legal competence for all weapons than of banning any, the semi/full auto distinction is more a matter of casual curiosity and pedantry for me anyway.

It's establishing legal competence that's my sticking point, find me a good way to do it - doesn't have to be airtight, nothing ever is - and I'd likely change my tune.

I would suggest a process very similar to what we do with drivers licenses:

1) An eye and/or shooting range test to verify people do not threaten anything and everything within half a mile each time they fire a gun.

2) A brief written test to verify a good, if not perfect, knowledge of the common sense rules and statutory laws of gun ownership.

3) A brief practical test to verify a good, if not perfect, knowledge of the common sense rules and statutory laws of gun use.

Again, there is nothing radical or novel about any of that; it is exactly the same thing we do for every vehicle from mopeds to big rigs (except, of course, that I would require criminal and mental health record checks at the start.) I know some people oppose that for guns, but I am not sure those who do include anyone but the same radical fringe that insists thumb-printing drivers license applicants is "the Mark of the Beast." They are beneath consideration and relevance, except insofar as they should be subject to prosecution for shooting without a license just as they are for driving without one.

My rule of thumb is anything that needs machining is not quick and easy for most people; anything else is practical for those knowledgeable enough to succeed. ;)

I suppose so, our problem is while brains can help one triumph so can fanatical dedication to a purpose, and that's not a rare trait among mass murderers. Also, components of a device need not be high-grade metal, a substitution of plastic or wood is conceptually doable and for a few components wouldn't make a lick of difference whereas for others it might wear out relatively fast but not so fats you couldn't empty multiple clips and swap in a spare to do it some more. A wooden mallet might be crappy for pounding in nails but will do the job decent enough if a metal one isn't available.

True, but unless someone wants to jerry-rig something then use it without testing, hoping but not KNOWING it will work, that usually is a problem. A wooden mallet works well for the first couple nails, but reaching the thousandth nail without snapping the mallets head off the shaft and/or gouging holes in it can be tricky. Breivik demonstrated a sufficiently determined, careful and knowledgeable person can find a way, but I am QUITE weary of people using anomalous exceptions to the rule to argue reasonable precautions NEVER work. Whether it is the gun lobby claiming Breivik proves all gun control a pointless expensive failure or the anti-gun lobby claiming Nancy Lanza proves guns useless for self-defense, it still strikes me as people using stats like a drunk uses lamp posts. ;)

Just to be clear: In the past half-year we have averaged one mass shooting every two months; THAT has gone beyond the anomalous stage.

In one of the umpteen thousand threads on the topic, one person responded with "I guess you could, if you started with a full-auto sear. Which kinda defeats the purpose..." Of course, AR-15s lead right back to our above discussion about the ease of "unconverting" a weapon originally fully automatic in the first place. Again, I have not spent much time looking, but each mention I have seen of converting a gun to full auto, even people just seeking instruction, always referenced automatics factory-modified to civilian semi-autos. I find that highly suggestive of the difficulty in converting a gun semi-auto by design, though perhaps it is just another case where it is easier and more sensible to buy what one wants instead of buying something one does NOT want and MAKING it into the desired item.

Almost always easier to retro-retrofit something I imagine. As mentioned, converting weapons to fully auto is something I know about mostly tangentially. The notion that full auto is inherently better than semi or burst fire is not one I subscribe to. Still the core mechanics are simple enough. I'd have to know 'the defeated purpose' being referred to by that person, but the difficulty of a given project when it comes to mass murder is, IMO, always best weighed against the difficulty of making decent pipe bombs I suppose.

I took the responder to mean filing the firing pin is needless if a gun has an auto sear and pointless if it does not.

Pipe bombs are a good example of what I referenced above: They are illegal throughout the US, but a few idiots still make them; that is not an argument to repeal laws against pipe bombs on the grounds they are expensive and ineffectual. A LOT of people have been arrested and imprisoned because they were caught with pipe bombs they never got the chance to use, and that is both good and effective.

"Gun store commandoes," as I saw one responder put it. Another person told a would-be automatic owner that "If anyone should file down their firing pin, it should be you." Since federal law sets no age limit for private rifle purchases though, I cannot help thinking the questioners criminal history is the reason he is not allowed to have a gun. It is interesting that supporters of both gun rights AND gun control (and I hope I have demonstrated they are not mutually exclusive) oppose felons, the mentally ill and the incompetent having guns—yet only the latter seem willing to DO anything about it. ;)

I know most of the right wing is quite willing to take them away from felons, because I break with them on that, I don't think they have a right to them but much like voting I'm a big believer in reasonable post-incarceration/parole periods before someone can get them back. Never saw much point in assuming the 50 year old who spent 18-25 in the slammer for virtually anything hasn't reasonably reformed if they made it from 25-50 without another 'mandatory vacation'. I think one has to acknowledge that a kleptomaniac, for instance, whether they did their vacation in a prison or a mental hospital, isn't really any worse of a candidate for gun ownership then the next Joe... unless their klepto impulses took on the form of armed robbery of course.

Anyway the core point there is that I personally, and speaking only for myself, have very grave and I think justified concerns about the fairly broad way people approach felon/mentally-ill/incompetent. If someone is good to be out on the streets at all, the status of those three ought to be fairly gray. What bugs me about this whole thing is - and I hate to say it - that these spree killings are simply poor justification for trying to alter our approach to problems that obviously aren't easily solved. We just don't have enough murderous madman for me to feel tinkering with civil rights (not just guns, because it's more then guns at that point) is warranted, considering the risks. I know I'm not alone here in remembering that we made it a pain in the ass to commit people to asylums for some very good reasons.

I am the first to agree many people with criminal records and/or diagnosed mental illness are on the streets who should not be, if that is what you are saying. Until/unless we do better at keeping proven threats to public safety safely locked away we will have a proportionately high need to monitor those walking around free. It is contradictory, however, to say the high rate of premature release and recidivism makes guns vital for self-defense but precautions against felonious possession needless. If unreformed criminals are so dangerous they justify allowing anyone the means to kill them, they are so dangerous they justify making sure said criminals get NO guns. We cannot have it both ways.

"Who does the screening?" always strikes me as a copout. Obviously, a government licensing authority, though I have no problem with a federal law empowering states to do that individually according to a uniform federal standard, so long as the feds fund each such state effort adequately (i.e. the last thing we need is a NCLB for guns.) In other words, gun screening would be conducted by the equivalent of the same people who screen explosives purchases, drivers licenses and everything else that constitutes a serious threat to public safety in the hands of incompetent and/or irresponsible owners.

The whole problem there is that you get into the whole 'if the shit hits the fan and we come under a dictatorship'. I personally have no problem with requiring ID to buy a weapon, same as booze, its the idea that the gov't could keep a record of who bought what, it's too close to not keeping a record of who voted but how they voted. Like a little logo on the Driver's license indicating the person could legally buy firearms and a database at the BMV or whoever of who couldn't wouldn't bug me at all, at that point I just don't want them to be in any realistic position to be able to make oppressive or arbitrary changes to who can buy.

If the shit hits the fan the dicators army will check every house for guns, registered or not. Background check data should be purged immediately after verification (though the FBI maintains NICS, and I am not suggesting the FBI purge its criminal databases,) but there is nothing wrong with licensing and registration, even ballistics records. It greatly aids tracking guns used in crimes back to the criminal. I find it odd a cop (with cause) can pull someone over and demand "license and regisration" for a car, but not a gun.

However, at this stage of the game, I would be overjoyed to let that await a later day (if any) if we had the database of people who could not buy guns. To some extent we do, but it only applies to federally licensed gun sellers, and a small majority of states do not fully participate. A CERTAIN political faction demanded and got many exceptions and loopholes in that legislation. ;) Fact is, the mental health and criminal records are already out there and freely available to all gun sellers: Many just refuse to use them.

This doesn't mean all bets are off at organized control though, but non-gov't options are possible, if a few groups like the ACLU and NRA and so on banded together to create a voluntary ID and promised to destroy records if ever they could fall into bad hands, one could, say, offer a tax discount to places that only sold to people with that ID.

In any event, no progress will ever be made when control-favorers respond to "I don't trust the government" with "Well, you should" as the essential line of reasoning. Make more progress exploring other routes even if they might be viewed as inferior.

I would never suggest anyone trust the government beyond their own sight, but I trust private groups (ESPECIALLY political partisans) even less. The NRA and ACLU are unlikely to ever band together on anything (the ACLUs gun control position is both ambivalent and ambiguous,) so it is far more likely that one or the other would set up such a database. So ask yourself if you would trust the ACLU to maintain a database of who is ineligible to own a weapon any more than I would trust the NRA to do so. Trust is very much the issue here, since, unlike government officials, the public has no direct or other means to hold NRA and/or ACLU officials accountable for improper use and management of any database recording who can and cannot legally own a gun.

If we want ANY public oversight of such a system, it MUST be government run and thus publicly accountable.

I am not talking mandatory interviews; I am libertarian enough to accept "presumption of sanity." However, where a documented RECORD exists, I do not believe it unreasonable, invasive or unconstitutional to check that record. That is to say, it is not a matter of proving one is sane and law-abiding before buying a weapon (I would never place the burden of proof on an individual to show their rights should NOT be denied,) but verifying there is no recorded proof one is NOT sane and law-abiding. All 50 states prohibit convicted felons buying or even owning guns—but why bother if gun buyers are on the honor system? Every employer in America knows asking whether someone is a convicted felon is pointless if no one ever bothers to CHECK. We keep records of that for a reason, y'know. ;)

Problem is most of our spree killers didn't have records that really stood out except in 20/20 hindsight.

A number of them did: Charles Whitman, Jared Loughner, Seung-Hui Cho, Adam Lanza. In Chos case, Virginia STATE law prohibited selling guns to anyone currently receiving mental health treatment—but the gun lobby used the "if they are on the street, they should not be stigmatized by denying their gun rights" argument to remove that provision for outpatients. Consequently, Chos legally bought guns DESPITE court ordered outpatient mental health treatment (as part of prosecution for stalking after classmates said they feared he would become a mass shooter and his school expelled him.)

Checking mental health records will not stop anyone without one, no, but would stop most everyone who DOES. We are back to the same old thing: Anything that does not stop EVERYONE, be it guns for defense against them or laws agaisnt them getting guns, is a pointless expensive failure. Those are not rebuttals, but EXCUSES even most of their proponents do not really believe. They are obstacles to effective reasonable gun policy, but actually ENABLE murder.

Same with mental health: I think it reasonable to expect would-be gun owners release mental health records to a confidential state review board. Mental health treatment should not prevent the sale, but a record of diagnosed mental illness impairing judgement should. The board should also be required to purge its own records of peoples confidential data immediately after review. Psychiatric medicine is far from perfect but, as you say, is what it is; if you are worried about improper loss of civil liberties on that basis, worry more about people being involuntary committed than denied guns. I do not think the proper solution to mentally ill gun owners is "let them have guns, but kill them as soon as they attack someone."

I wouldn't scream if we did that, I just doubt it would be all that effective, since you would need a standardized mental health database and even a lot of pro-control sorts would have entirely different reasons for screaming holy hell about that.

As noted, their inconsistent "logic" is not my fault and should not be my problem. ;) A database would almost inevitably help, and trying it would burden no one.

As I said, from my perspective most of the proposed control methods - even the pretty reasonable ones - strike me as invariably being very half assed patches that don't have the potential to do very much and come with a lot of foreseeable 'uh-ohs' and God alone knows how many unforeseen consequences. I think the best solution is just to have more guns in normal citizen hands outside the home, make training easy to get, and just start trying to build up the cultural faux pas around reckless usage.

I prefer relying on systematic training rather than cultural faux pas (even the combination does not prevent reckless driving, and even the addition of laws does not prevent drunk driving, but no one suggests we should discard driver licensing and laws against drunk driving as expensive failures.) Applying much the same comprehensive oversight and certification standards to guns as we do to cars would be no more a patch job for the former than for the latter. And, ultimately, allowing the mentally ill and/or criminals to go on shooting rampages, then killing them, is so far from an ideal solution it does not qualify as a "solution" at all.
Honorbound and honored to be Bonded to Mahtaliel Sedai
Last First in wotmania Chat
Slightly better than chocolate.

Love still can't be coerced.
Please Don't Eat the Newbies!

LoL. Be well, RAFOlk.
Reply to message
When guns are a big national issue, how do reporters & pundits not know facts about them? - 21/12/2012 05:33:14 PM 1474 Views
You don't hunt by walking into a classroom and shooting 20 deer - 21/12/2012 05:56:16 PM 938 Views
You're actually not right on that one - 21/12/2012 07:49:53 PM 860 Views
That wasn't the point I was making - 21/12/2012 09:49:40 PM 813 Views
You should probably clarify it then - 21/12/2012 10:47:26 PM 965 Views
His post was perfectly clear. Yours seemed like a response to an entirely different post. - 21/12/2012 10:53:39 PM 1123 Views
Explain that remark, it is not obvious to me *NM* - 21/12/2012 11:00:10 PM 499 Views
I think - 21/12/2012 11:13:34 PM 793 Views
Thats' easy, there is simply no such thing as a 'hunting rifle' - 21/12/2012 11:17:41 PM 805 Views
I'd say the expert gunsmith - 21/12/2012 11:28:02 PM 828 Views
I thought I was being perfectly clear. - 21/12/2012 10:57:35 PM 805 Views
Re: I thought I was being perfectly clear. - 21/12/2012 11:25:04 PM 868 Views
Oh I wasn't commenting on the standard of people here - 21/12/2012 11:29:36 PM 762 Views
you're largely correct, which is why we need stronger laws on ownership not guns per se - 21/12/2012 09:39:14 PM 778 Views
I can't think of a better reason than self defense - 21/12/2012 10:33:26 PM 830 Views
He is right about Australia - 21/12/2012 10:46:27 PM 813 Views
No kidding - 21/12/2012 10:59:28 PM 803 Views
If you knew all that - 21/12/2012 11:02:38 PM 830 Views
I think you are on the right track, but to the wrong destination; "lethal weapon" is redundant. - 21/12/2012 11:05:29 PM 805 Views
My read is that the 2nd Amendment not only allows, but mandates, cop-killer bullets. - 22/12/2012 12:45:04 AM 842 Views
Does the Second Amendment protect the rights of felons and the mentally incompetent to have guns? - 22/12/2012 02:35:16 AM 1004 Views
Some semi-autos are easily modified for full auto fire, making the distinction one w/o a difference. - 21/12/2012 10:53:59 PM 876 Views
Correction: virtually all semi-automatics are easily convertable - 21/12/2012 11:23:35 PM 818 Views
How many of the people I was complaining about would know that? - 22/12/2012 12:48:59 AM 814 Views
Some, possibly? I am ever the optimist - 22/12/2012 12:58:36 AM 773 Views
I have seen nothing on turning a semi-auto BAR into a fully automatic one. - 22/12/2012 01:11:12 AM 735 Views
What's a BAR? In any event, link a diagram and I'll let you know - 22/12/2012 01:26:31 AM 742 Views
Confusingly, there are two: The BAR you and I think of, and the "Browning BAR," a current semi-auto - 22/12/2012 01:07:30 PM 850 Views
Department of Redundancy Department gets to name a lot of stuff, like "Milky Way Galaxy" - 22/12/2012 05:01:45 PM 1009 Views
It only bothers me when people who know better speak of "the Glieseian solar system." - 26/12/2012 05:33:34 PM 892 Views
Both terms are pretty stuck now - 26/12/2012 10:48:38 PM 959 Views
You realize that encourages rather than discourages my opposition to the usage, right? - 27/12/2012 01:23:15 AM 736 Views
Well I can't say it surprises - 27/12/2012 04:29:06 AM 676 Views
No one expects the Online Inquisition! - 27/12/2012 05:20:44 PM 690 Views
I've enjoyed most reboots - 28/12/2012 01:06:05 AM 632 Views
Yes the media is using terms incorrectly but the point still stands. - 22/12/2012 03:02:18 AM 743 Views
Re: Yes the media is using terms incorrectly but the point still stands. - 22/12/2012 04:12:30 AM 791 Views
umm... - 22/12/2012 12:41:31 PM 713 Views
1997 North Hollywood Shootout - 22/12/2012 04:07:39 AM 885 Views
Laws against murder failed to prevent that, too; clearly they are ineffective and should be repealed - 22/12/2012 06:02:24 AM 934 Views
Such laws were never intended for prevention, they define actions that will be punished. *NM* - 23/12/2012 12:57:57 PM 533 Views
So do laws against getting a gun without screening, training and certification. - 23/12/2012 02:01:32 PM 755 Views
Then CHANGE the Constitution, don't ignore it. *NM* - 26/12/2012 03:12:11 PM 472 Views
I am not suggesting either changing or ignoring the Constitution. - 26/12/2012 04:01:02 PM 861 Views
Yes you are. - 26/12/2012 08:06:01 PM 656 Views
Learn logic, and stop needlessly trying to teach me grammar. - 26/12/2012 08:55:25 PM 830 Views
Lear to read, and I won't have to - 27/12/2012 04:28:59 PM 889 Views
You are wrong. - 22/12/2012 12:14:40 PM 830 Views
That explains much; I read somewhere Brits are averse to it. - 22/12/2012 01:17:15 PM 751 Views
We're also averse to being wrong. - 22/12/2012 02:53:49 PM 832 Views
So you say... - 22/12/2012 03:32:16 PM 751 Views
guns r stpid *NM* - 23/12/2012 12:39:30 AM 553 Views
What bemuses me about this thing with Adam Lanza, is that his mother had 5 registered guns - 23/12/2012 07:10:26 AM 846 Views
She was asleep with him in the house. - 23/12/2012 02:24:47 PM 826 Views
LOOK, look, there is another one... - 26/12/2012 03:13:45 PM 770 Views
I find the absolutist ant/pro-gun positions equally dangerous and absurd. - 26/12/2012 04:20:37 PM 739 Views
So we should just *kinda* ignore the Constitution *this* time... But what about NEXT time... - 26/12/2012 08:08:12 PM 724 Views
No, we should enact gun regulation the Constitution explicitly empowers. - 26/12/2012 09:02:12 PM 734 Views
Which would be... NONE. *NM* - 27/12/2012 04:31:53 PM 474 Views
"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state...." - 28/12/2012 05:14:49 PM 743 Views
*see previous grammar lesson* *NM* - 28/12/2012 10:31:43 PM 459 Views
The instant it becomes relevant, I shall. - 28/12/2012 11:45:01 PM 922 Views
Your point being? - 27/12/2012 10:47:29 AM 729 Views
Facts are irrelevant when FUD is the order of the day. - 24/12/2012 04:34:18 PM 728 Views
It irritates me too. *NM* - 01/01/2013 01:55:05 PM 475 Views

Reply to Message