Active Users:308 Time:05/05/2024 11:52:58 PM
Re: sure, and i have a bridge for sale..... Cannoli Send a noteboard - 30/05/2014 05:06:11 PM

Actually, Italian is the least significant of my ethnic make-up and has little to do with me. The name is a movie reference. Also, it's Northern Italian, which was not the discriminated group to which you refer: Northern and Southern Italians were counted as seperate nationalities in US census data - at the insistence of the former. So I'm not likely to be descended from other victims, nor do I have much empathy or cultural identification with them, nor do I consider such a factor relevant in making an assessment of their situation.

Also, you appear to be as ignorant of idioms as you are of economics and history. I am not trying to trick or scam anyone. The hucksters and race baiters and agitators for reparations, who hint at an end to their endless lobbying for preferential treatment if we will just give them this favor or that holiday or this percentage of government jobs or elect this duskier-than-avergage man as president... they are the ones with the proverbial bridge to sell.

i could easily say "when Italians have gangsters like John Gotti and Lucky Luciano, they have no moral authority to speak of treating Italians with the respect they deserve".

You're talking about something completely different. I would be actually using that argument if Italian-Americans were collectively lobbying for reparations, and I did not argue against giving black people the respect they deserve. In my understanding of the concept, "respect" is not a commodity to be bought and sold, nor is money a substitute for it. Reparations are pretty much completely in opposition to respect, because it implies that without substantial financial support from white people, blacks are unable to succeed and survive, which was one of the arguments the article was making.
but yet Italian culture is seen as something positive to be celebrated, while black culture is still seen by the majority of America as something to be looked down upon and treated with disdain.

And rightly so. "Black culture" is an aggregation of behaviors copied and adapted from the white trash among whom the majority of black Americans lived for much of their history, particularly in the more relevant-to-this-discussion era prior to the Great Migration. A description of Appalachian hillbillies and redneck frontiersmen will match in general many of the worst behaviors of the contemporary inner city culture, which has produced nothing of value. The many decent and successful blacks in America are such as a result of turning their backs on that "culture". Even calling that aggregation of social pathology "black culture" is an insult to both black people and the concept of culture. We look down on white people with the exact same culture as "hillbillies," "rednecks" and "white trash". The black slang for white people "cracker", is another reference to that sort of person, and as most blacks in the US associated only with crackers (as opposed to wops, dagos, micks, krauts or chinks), it became a generic term for white people.
all Mr. Coates has asked for is for blacks to be given the same respect and opportunities all the other groups that were marginalized in American history have been granted. if you actually disagree with this, then you are part of the problem.
They are given that. Mr Coates is asking for money, of which black people have already received more from the federal government than almost any other group whose lands we did not actually steal. To the extent that blacks were alienated from their homelands and ancestral culture, it was not by the USA. We (to the extent that a minority isolated by their own preference represent the USA as a whole) are simply the recipients of others' crimes. But asking for reparations from the slave catchers and traders at this point in history would be trying to squeeze blood from a stone, so much better to make a stink and try to weasel some money out of the US.
Cannoli
“Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions.” GK Chesteron
Inde muagdhe Aes Sedai misain ye!
Deus Vult!
*MySmiley*
Reply to message
/History: The Case for Reparations - 27/05/2014 07:08:52 PM 1088 Views
Only reparations for..... - 27/05/2014 07:34:29 PM 470 Views
you should try actually reading the article first - 27/05/2014 08:33:53 PM 566 Views
my only problem is his conclusion is weak compared with the rest of the article - 27/05/2014 08:31:54 PM 495 Views
Maybe because there is a lack of connection between the history involved and present day problems. - 29/05/2014 01:35:04 AM 444 Views
sure, and i have a bridge for sale..... - 30/05/2014 12:39:03 AM 431 Views
Re: sure, and i have a bridge for sale..... - 30/05/2014 05:06:11 PM 467 Views
faulty assumptions of your heritage aside, the point still stands. - 02/06/2014 08:54:02 PM 413 Views
Faulty assumptions is the entirety of your argument. - 11/06/2014 07:27:29 AM 462 Views
sorry but I see no evidence he wants to have an open an honest discussion - 02/06/2014 02:03:29 PM 466 Views
Should Europe pay restitutions for the damage they did to Africa? - 03/06/2014 01:13:54 PM 453 Views
Sure. - 03/06/2014 06:10:49 PM 425 Views
Absolutely, but only the handful of countries that actually have a colonial past *NM* - 03/06/2014 09:28:58 PM 246 Views
that's not the way it works - 04/06/2014 01:04:46 PM 411 Views
Again, there is an assumption of profit that is not necessarily true - 11/06/2014 02:47:53 AM 575 Views
nope the EU needs to step up the line and starting paying - 11/06/2014 06:05:25 PM 511 Views
One could argue we already do. - 04/06/2014 10:55:44 PM 402 Views

Reply to Message