Active Users:175 Time:17/05/2024 09:16:15 AM
Let me clarify that I don't see easy solutions to the American mess, or think highly of Obamacare. Legolas Send a noteboard - 06/11/2014 06:48:47 PM

View original postThis is the sort of civil rights forfeiture you are subjected to, merely by the act of sitting in the driver's seat of a motor vehicle, under the EXACT SAME rationale for which you posit a justification for mandatory car insurance. Now do you REALLY want to apply motor vehicle precedents to universal situations? The legal excuse for this sort of appalling violation is that by choosing to drive, you automatically assent to these practices. It is not tyranny, because anyone who wants to avoid being affect merely has to refrain from seeking driving privileges. But how do you apply that predicated exemption to something like medical care?

If, as you seem to advocate, you want a society where hospitals are not in any way obligated to help people who can't afford to pay, and where sick or badly wounded people with no money should be left to die if they don't manage to beg, cajole or steal the money they need for treatment, then I suppose there is indeed no good reason to make insurance obligatory. How you reconcile that stance with a Catholic morality, I have no idea, but then it's none of my business. Knowing you, I'm well aware I have zero chance of convincing you otherwise and so will save my breath (or my fingers, whatever).
View original postThe argument that society is deprived of people's contributions without taxpayer supported medical care is a hair away from the notion that people and their labor and intellectual property belong to the government (you can substitute the word society, but since the government allocates, rations or disposes of the resources and property which belong to society, or the people, it amounts to the same thing).

Nonsense. People and their labour belong to themselves, but all the same, unless they live somewhere out in the wilderness or on a deserted island, they generally do contribute something to the lives of others - in some cases in a more positive way than in others, but still. Even in the kind of society you describe, where these people who are too sick to work are left to live or die without any help either way, hence not siphoning any resources from society for their treatment, their absence in the workplace is likely to be felt as a loss, and any investments society has already made in their education will not reap the rewards they might have done if they had stayed healthy (or should we get rid of taxpayer-funded primary and secondary education too, while we're at it?).
View original post But these arguments all stem from initial leftwing interference in the free market. As always, liberalism creates a problem, and then calls for a liberal policy to cure it. Health insurance became tied to employment, because government-mandated wage freezes during the New Deal and World War Two prevented competition among employers (by design). Since they could not offer higher wages to attract workers, they began offering fringe benefits which didn't count against the wage laws, and health insurance became one of the most popular. By the time such restrictions were lifted, the idea of your employer taking care of your health insurance had become fixed. Insurance companies increasingly marketed their policies to employers and in groups, rather than tailored to particular clients, based on the coverage individuals wanted. Employers simply wanted a plan that would cover most of their employees, and that in turn caused the medical industry to evolve to meet the demands of the insurers who became the dominant source of payment (even if a majority of people paid their own medical bills, the insurance industry outweighed any individual or collective of individual consumers). The cost of providing medical care to insured patients is precipitously higher than otherwise, thanks to the required bureaucracy. Opposition to tort reform does not help either, since malpractice insurance is another disproportionate influence, causing decisions to be made on a CYA basis of not getting sued. Liberals are always horrified at corporate influence in politics, but never stop to consider how insurance companies influence regulations to make it impossible to hold them to standards of free market competition or make it difficult for medical professionals to evade the financial influence of the insurance industry. Insurance companies cannot compete across state lines, for instance, giving impossible advantages to giant corporations that can have a headquarters in 50 states, as opposed to a small company that might try to compete by being more responsive to consumers, with lower overhead. If I can buy old or out of print books from a seller three thousand miles away or medicinal clay from Oregon, why can't I buy insurance from a company in a red state that is not legally required by state law to cover breast implants and sex change operations, and so make up its profit margins by charging premiums on a guy like me, who uses maybe two sick days a year, and has not seen a doctor in at least five? All I need for insurance is something minimal for major accidents or trauma, and yet, because of laws that tie my health coverage to my employment, I am actually cheated out of remuneration, because my employer is paying more for my health insurance than I need to spend, wasting money that I am earning with my labor, on something I do not need and was not asked if I wanted. While I do extra work to make up for my coworkers who abuse the sick leave policies and slack or malinger because they are pussies about their illnesses, or are addicted to recreational substances, and come in with hangovers or need smoking breaks.

I have never understood, or agreed with, the Democratic opposition to eliminating the ridiculous excesses of American tort law.

And as mentioned in the title of my post, I'm far from a big Obamacare fan, nor do I think the American health care mess can be solved in some simple, easy way. I disagreed with Jeo on some principle points, I didn't claim to know how to fix the American system and make it work. I definitely agree with you that one of the main problems lies with the insurance companies and their bureaucracies, and another one in flawed regulation, even before Obamacare.

View original post Don't you see that the very problem with socialized medical care is right in this very statement you make? You are flat out stating that private individuals spend MORE than the state! Private individuals CHOOSE to spend more than the government spends on its constituency! Our public spending is higher, because it has to compete with the standard of care that private spenders choose for themselves. All government entitlements are promoted and defended through the use of comparisons to what private individuals obtain on their own. The government doesn't hand out MREs to hungry people, they give them money so they can eat the same things everyone else does. And on the other side, they don't build and rent out as many residences, as they restrict what providers can charge, which affects the costs and availability of shelter for others. Government largess is affected by, and affects, the options and costs of those who obtain such things on their own, and it happens in the medical field too. They have to spend more, because their dependent constituency wants comparable care to what people obtain privately, and their regulatory efforts to minimize the burden on the less advantaged raise the costs on the market for everyone.

Your public spending is higher mostly because of the utter idiocy that is Medicare, honestly. We don't agree on much in this debate, but I'm sure we agree that the way Medicare pays far too much for many procedures is a gigantic waste of taxpayer money. But yes, the same goes for private insurance - doctors and hospitals get away with charging absurd amounts for basic procedures, because people with insurance don't care about the bill as they won't pay it anyway, while people without insurance probably can't afford to pay whatever is charged, whether it's reasonable or not. I think we definitely agree that health insurance needs to be something people are in charge of themselves, instead of it being linked to their job. The difference is that I would support a "mandate", forcing people to get at least a minimum of insurance, and you would not, largely because you disagree with my basic premise that at the end of the day sick people have to be treated whether they are insured or not (and so for me the choice is merely between having them treated entirely on the taxpayer's dime, or at least partially on their own).

View original postYou are conflating and equating things that are not the same or do not relate in the same ways. To assume, especially when the government is involved, that spending equates to results, is absurd. Look at the Obamacare website, for instance. Contractor charges through the nose, and doesn't deliver. Similar expenditures in the military have been infamous for years. Also, there is a bit of a logical flaw in your statement. If we are not getting the results you'd expect from our taxpayer spending on health care, why would we want to increase the degree to which taxpayer money is spent? No one likes or defends the status quo, they just like it better than, and defend it against, a situation where those issues would be exacerbated.

I'm not saying you'd want to increase the degree to which taxpayer money is spent. The primary point of mentioning that statistic, for me, is not to defend Obamacare, or even to advocate universal health insurance, but rather to make clear something very hard for many Americans to accept, which is that at least one thing about America, its health care system, is in fact inferior to its equivalent in some other countries. How you would go about remedying that is an extremely complex question to which I won't pretend to know the answer, but as they say, being aware of the problem is the first step.

View original postThis is the typically disingenuous argument in favor of socialized medicine of the sort that gives rise to the expression about "lies, damn lies and statistics." Life expectancy is not a factor of health insurance, government spending on health insurance, or even medical care. If you want to measure life expectancy to assess medical care, do it properly, by comparing the life expectancy of people who receive it. Once you are diagnosed with cancer, for example, your life expectancy right is significantly higher in the USA than in other industrialized countries, especially the socialized medical states of Europe. For US men compared to European men, overall cancer survival rate is 66% to 47%. There are five or six types of cancer in which the USA has a survival rate greater than 90%, and Europeans only hit 90% survival in one of those types. And those rates don't count the people who die with cancers that are undiscovered until their deaths. Europeans are twice as likely to experience that as Americans. The European study that produced those percentages, excluded cancers that first appeared in medical records on a death certificate, and American medicine STILL blew them out of the water.

Interesting. I wasn't aware of that, do you have a link or reference?

In any case, I definitely admit that life expectancy is only partially linked to quality of health care - certainly factors like nutrition, violence in the society, and even climate play a certain role.

View original postThe infant mortality rate is the same sort of thing. Even setting aside the incredibly low disadvantage in US infant mortality rates compared to other countries, (.2% against Britain & Canada, IIRC), differences in statistical tabulation can affect those numbers. In the USA, if a fetus is at all alive when it is born, it is counted as a live birth, and its subsequent death is a case of infant mortality. Several developed industrial nations, like Germany or France would not count a baby that dies in the first 24 hours, or is under a certain size or born prematurely. Those go on the books as miscarriages, when they are actually the most likely to die. That's like comparing the motor vehicle fatality rates of two groups, but in one group, you exclude people who drive in excess of the speed limit, and who do not wear seatbelts, categorizing them as suicides. Of COURSE the other group is going to have higher motor vehicle mortality rates. It's statistic methodology like this that might explain how other countries were leading the US even before they adopted their current socialized medical systems.

Also interesting, wasn't aware of that either.

View original postThat is, after all, the essence of opposition to socialized medicine. Issues like rationing and triage are things no one wants to consider applying to their lives or their loved ones, but they are an inevitable outcome of government-funded health care. Or mandatory corporate funding for health care.

Sure, but how is your alternative better? If you aren't rich, you either won't have insurance at all and won't even live to see your "death panel", or you'll have limited insurance that won't get you any better result than the socialized medicine would, and most likely worse. If you're rich, you probably do have better insurance than that (as a side note, you can still have additional insurance in most countries with socialized systems), but even if paying absolutely any price for any extra day of life is worth it for you, the result is ever-increasing insurance premiums for everyone else. And even an insurance company will draw the line somewhere - the only difference is that it'll be a company making the call instead of a "death panel".
Reply to message
/US elections: "I'm scared I'm going to die before [Medicaid expansion] comes" - 04/11/2014 10:15:29 PM 1086 Views
*HA* - 05/11/2014 02:48:22 AM 507 Views
can you explain what that ad is about ? - 05/11/2014 06:25:09 AM 525 Views
it refers to voter registration and IDs - 05/11/2014 08:02:46 AM 544 Views
you summed it up quite nicely, thanks - 05/11/2014 05:15:39 PM 464 Views
Oh please. - 05/11/2014 09:51:32 PM 635 Views
only one party specifically mentions keeping "the wrong people" from voting, though - 05/11/2014 10:10:43 PM 495 Views
What a load of crap - 07/11/2014 04:20:38 AM 487 Views
sorry, i missed where you identifed as a woman in a previous post - 13/11/2014 12:18:42 AM 629 Views
he is refering to all the political ads on tv *NM* - 05/11/2014 05:42:37 PM 223 Views
Who doesn't have to identify themselves? Totally serious. - 05/11/2014 09:40:41 PM 576 Views
the point of ID laws is solely to restrict the votes of specific groups - 05/11/2014 10:07:00 PM 476 Views
Rhode Island's voter ID law was sponsored by a black legislator - 06/11/2014 11:30:57 AM 474 Views
you are obviously not caring to pay attention -- ID laws do more than just require IDs - 06/11/2014 09:37:32 PM 483 Views
You cannot be this much of an idiot. - 07/11/2014 03:40:02 AM 524 Views
Rhode Island's voter ID law was sponsored by a black legislator - 06/11/2014 11:30:58 AM 463 Views
Black people don't have photo ID? Why? - 06/11/2014 05:09:39 PM 489 Views
North Carolina's law forbids student IDs as valid form of ID and does not recognize other state IDs - 06/11/2014 09:41:52 PM 464 Views
Why should out of state college students vote in local elections? - 06/11/2014 10:35:13 PM 481 Views
Re: Why should out of state college students vote in local elections? - 07/11/2014 03:41:36 AM 562 Views
Students are not residents, they are guest - 07/11/2014 04:14:11 AM 547 Views
Re: Students are not residents, they are guest - 07/11/2014 02:33:43 PM 595 Views
Re: Students are not residents, they are guest - 13/11/2014 12:42:38 AM 576 Views
Are you fucking stupid or what? - 20/11/2014 02:52:24 AM 599 Views
please stop with the stupid comparisons of student ID to gun permits - 07/11/2014 04:07:16 AM 500 Views
I'll tell you what it is here... - 06/11/2014 09:57:35 PM 509 Views
Interesting. - 07/11/2014 03:21:48 AM 567 Views
[citation needed] - 12/11/2014 11:58:57 PM 468 Views
mutiple surgries and dozen of trips to er. sounds like she is getting care *NM* - 05/11/2014 05:44:39 PM 233 Views
$500k in debt for no insurance b/c her state decided to spite her to get back at Obama *NM* - 05/11/2014 08:37:58 PM 215 Views
Doesn't it all come back around to the concept... - 05/11/2014 08:47:20 PM 480 Views
There are enough good arguments for universal insurance that don't involve "rights". - 05/11/2014 10:14:52 PM 486 Views
And yet, you don't offer any. That's why pernicious idiots like moondog keep on inventing rights - 06/11/2014 03:02:33 PM 495 Views
Let me clarify that I don't see easy solutions to the American mess, or think highly of Obamacare. - 06/11/2014 06:48:47 PM 604 Views
Oh, I got that. - 07/11/2014 04:50:38 AM 491 Views
disconnecting employment form insurance would be a great first step - 07/11/2014 03:54:37 AM 535 Views

Reply to Message