Active Users:197 Time:17/05/2024 10:20:14 AM
You cannot be this much of an idiot. Cannoli Send a noteboard - 07/11/2014 03:40:02 AM

so let's recap what these ID laws do in various states, since you are unwilling to do the research yourself:
Why should I do the research to prove your points?
-- eliminate early voting, especially on Sundays: Black churches typically rent vans and buses and bring their congregations to the early voting polls on Sundays. other churches and similar religious groups do not. therefore, restricting early voting to non-Sundays limits the ability of Black churches to participate. yes, the alternative is to try to get people together to vote on any of the other early days, but some states like Ohio and North Carolina have eliminated all but one weekend of early voting.

In this case it is the practice of blacks which are disenfranchising them. White churches ALSO can no longer do this. Why cannot black people get their asses to the polls the same way everyone else does? Why should they get a special day for their churches to take them to vote? And how does that not constitute undue influence? Are you REALLY complaining about religious groups being prevented from voting in blocs, and influencing the vote by providing special access to the polls?

Also, what is to stop blacks from dropping by the church on Tuesday, and getting in the van? Do church vans only start up on Sundays? Are black churches under reverse commandments, so that they can ONLY work on the Sabbath?

-- restrict the types of ID which are valid: in Texas, your concealed carry permit is a valid ID for voting, but your student photo ID is not, even if it was issued by a TX school.
Sorry, but living as close to NYC & Paterson as I do, I find it very hard to believe that blacks are more likely to be students than to have concealed weapons on their persons.

Kidding aside, would you explain how concealed carry permits are discriminatory against blacks or why student ID should be valid? All it does, even if legit, is prove you attend a school. It does not prove you are eligible to vote, or a resident of the district. In fact, students are LESS likely to be residents. I never had a student ID that gave my town of residence, or was issued by a school in my hometown. I went to grade school, high school and college in different towns. How would presenting an ID from a school in Pequannock, Ramsey or Wayne prove my eligibility to vote in a completely different town?

And even if it is only to prove you are the person on a voter registry, Student IDs are easily faked. They are hardly created with any sort of invincible security or verification. Most of them could be slapped together with desktop equipment. There are bars that don't take student IDs even with birthdates. Anyway, who has a college ID but does NOT have a driver's licence or any other form of photo ID? And if they can't be bothered to obtain one, why should they be allowed to vote?

not only that, but if you don't have the correct ID when you vote, you are limited to a three day window to return to the county clerk office to prove you had the correct ID on election day, otherwise your vote doesn't count.
Well how long are they supposed to wait? Votes have to be counted, the day is well known, long in advance. How much of a break do you get if you don't have the appropriate paperwork on April 15?
-- restrict the ways you can get a valid ID: in Wisconsin, you have to provide an official copy of your birth certificate and Social Security card to be issued a new ID. if you don't live in Milwaukee or Madison, your DMV options are open only once per week for a maximum of four hours.
Are there voter ID laws in Wisconsin? Are they aimed at suppressing Wisconsin's significant and far-left wing black population? Granted, on Election Day that's about 30 members of the Packers and 11-12 Bucks who might be in the state if they didn't have a road game...

These policies, once again, are NOT discriminatory, since you have not presented any proof that blacks have more trouble obtaining an ID under these conditions.

in Texas, some married women are required to put their maiden name as their middle name on their driver's license. when they bring their ID to vote, if their name does not match the voter list because of this, they are not allowed to vote.
Only black women? Considering that blacks have much lower rates of marriage than whites, this discriminates against whites more than blacks. It is definitely a more factual and substantiated racial difference than an anecdote about the transportation patterns of church-going blacks.
All of this is beside the point the real takeaway from all of these restrictions on voting is that republicans know they can't win on their ideas because they don't have any. their only chance to keep winning is to prevent people who might vote democrat from being able to vote in any election. but don't take my word for it, listen to your own people say why these laws are worth pursuing:

“If it hurts a bunch of lazy blacks… so be it,” Yelton said. “The law is going to kick the Democrats in the butt.” -- Don Yelton, republican activist http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2013/10/24/north-carolina-yelton-resigns/3184993/

And so what? That quote proves nothing. All he states is indifference to the effect on people who cannot be bothered to take minimal steps to ensure their franchise. As for kicking the Democrats in the butt, it is as likely to be a reference to voter fraud. He even specified lazy blacks, as opposed to you, who seems to believe that no blacks possess the initiative or ability to take those steps.

Democrats are the ones who cannot win on their ideas, so they must result to cheating, stuffing ballot boxes and bringing in ringers. And of course, playing their usual game of using blacks as human shields to pre-empt criticism. The only reason anyone could oppose higher taxes is that a black president is trying to raise them of course. The only possible motivation to oppose socialized medicine is the skin color of the president pushing the bill through using loopholes and procedural tricks. It's not like a white president trying the same thing would not lose both houses of Congress for the first time in decades...oh, wait. That's exactly what happened!

"Voter ID, which is gonna allow Governor Romney to win the state of Pennsylvania, done,” [Mike] Turzai said to a republican state committee meeting http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0612/77811.html
Again, this quote proves nothing, unless you are operating from such an emotion-ridden mentality that if a Republican says it, it must indicate evil. Your use of this and the prior quote prove only your prejudice against Republicans. All the quote states is the speaker's opinion that it will help Republicans win. You have yet to show any evidence that such laws with SPECIFICALLY hinder the black vote, or that they will not hinder a white voter with the same behavior patterns of blacks. At worst, you could say it indicates that Democrats are less likely to meet the criteria for presenting a legitimate ID.
Franklin County (Columbus) GOP Chair Doug Preisse: “I guess I really actually feel we shouldn’t contort the voting process to accommodate the urban—read African-American—voter-turnout machine.” http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2012/08/19/fight-over-poll-hours-isnt-just-political.html
Again, this is a reference to underhanded methods used to get ineligible people to vote. It has nothing to do with racial discrimination. Although in this case, he makes reference to blacks, there is no area of study short of medicine in which racial distinctions are not justified, because NO group votes in as predominantly one-sided a fashion as blacks. Whites, Asians, Latinos, Jews, Christians, Southerners, Northerners, Easterners, Westerners, rich, poor, middle-class, union members, unemployed, veterans, gun owners - NONE of those groups vote as overwhelmingly for one party or another as blacks do for Democrats, or for their own group. A white voter is more likely to vote for a black candidate than the other way around. If blacks don't want people to notice their color in election analysis, they shouldn't all act the same way in the relevant area of activity. The problem with stereotypes and generalizations is that they are not automatically true for every member of a group. Well, it's a safer bet that a black man will vote Democrat, than that he will have dark skin. At that point, it is no longer a stereotype, but a characteristic. And because of this, Democrats use illegitimate methods to put black voters in voting booths, knowing with certainty which levers they are going to pull, which chads they are going to punch and which buttons they are going to press.
"There is only one motivation for imposing burdens on voting that are ostensibly designed to discourage voter-impersonation fraud, and that is to discourage voting by persons likely to vote against the party responsible for imposing the burdens." Judge Richard Posner http://bradblog.com/Docs/JudgePosnerDissent_PhotoID_WI_101014.pdf

Oh my gosh! You found a left-wing pro-abortion, animal rights, prisoner rights, newspaper-defending, gay marriage supporter who thinks the GOP is wrong. Nice try, but in citing this guy as one of my people, you have not exactly done anything to disprove the image of democrats being prone to fraudulent tactics.

But even if we stipulate his analysis, SO WHAT? You STILL have no proven any discrimination, because blacks and whites are being held to the same standards. To the extent that they might adversely affect one race more than the other, it is not through impossible criteria like grandfather clauses and literacy tests, or membership in private organizations. These examples (and if these are the worst you can bring up, you really have no case) at the very worst interpretation, are based on preferences and habits, not demographic or economic realities. There is not the slightest suggestion that any of them are being applied to whites or blacks differently.

Cannoli
“Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions.” GK Chesteron
Inde muagdhe Aes Sedai misain ye!
Deus Vult!
*MySmiley*
Reply to message
/US elections: "I'm scared I'm going to die before [Medicaid expansion] comes" - 04/11/2014 10:15:29 PM 1086 Views
*HA* - 05/11/2014 02:48:22 AM 507 Views
can you explain what that ad is about ? - 05/11/2014 06:25:09 AM 525 Views
it refers to voter registration and IDs - 05/11/2014 08:02:46 AM 544 Views
you summed it up quite nicely, thanks - 05/11/2014 05:15:39 PM 464 Views
Oh please. - 05/11/2014 09:51:32 PM 635 Views
only one party specifically mentions keeping "the wrong people" from voting, though - 05/11/2014 10:10:43 PM 495 Views
What a load of crap - 07/11/2014 04:20:38 AM 487 Views
sorry, i missed where you identifed as a woman in a previous post - 13/11/2014 12:18:42 AM 629 Views
he is refering to all the political ads on tv *NM* - 05/11/2014 05:42:37 PM 224 Views
Who doesn't have to identify themselves? Totally serious. - 05/11/2014 09:40:41 PM 577 Views
the point of ID laws is solely to restrict the votes of specific groups - 05/11/2014 10:07:00 PM 476 Views
Rhode Island's voter ID law was sponsored by a black legislator - 06/11/2014 11:30:57 AM 474 Views
you are obviously not caring to pay attention -- ID laws do more than just require IDs - 06/11/2014 09:37:32 PM 483 Views
You cannot be this much of an idiot. - 07/11/2014 03:40:02 AM 525 Views
Rhode Island's voter ID law was sponsored by a black legislator - 06/11/2014 11:30:58 AM 463 Views
Black people don't have photo ID? Why? - 06/11/2014 05:09:39 PM 489 Views
North Carolina's law forbids student IDs as valid form of ID and does not recognize other state IDs - 06/11/2014 09:41:52 PM 464 Views
Why should out of state college students vote in local elections? - 06/11/2014 10:35:13 PM 482 Views
Re: Why should out of state college students vote in local elections? - 07/11/2014 03:41:36 AM 562 Views
Students are not residents, they are guest - 07/11/2014 04:14:11 AM 547 Views
Re: Students are not residents, they are guest - 07/11/2014 02:33:43 PM 596 Views
Re: Students are not residents, they are guest - 13/11/2014 12:42:38 AM 576 Views
Are you fucking stupid or what? - 20/11/2014 02:52:24 AM 599 Views
please stop with the stupid comparisons of student ID to gun permits - 07/11/2014 04:07:16 AM 500 Views
I'll tell you what it is here... - 06/11/2014 09:57:35 PM 509 Views
Interesting. - 07/11/2014 03:21:48 AM 567 Views
[citation needed] - 12/11/2014 11:58:57 PM 468 Views
mutiple surgries and dozen of trips to er. sounds like she is getting care *NM* - 05/11/2014 05:44:39 PM 234 Views
$500k in debt for no insurance b/c her state decided to spite her to get back at Obama *NM* - 05/11/2014 08:37:58 PM 215 Views

Reply to Message