Active Users:239 Time:30/04/2024 07:45:43 AM
“Who are you calling, ‘you people’?! Joel Send a noteboard - 17/06/2015 10:08:32 AM

View original post
Those, and, y'know, the rampant pedophilia…. :vomits:
People would not even know pedophilia is wrong if not for the Church. Or do you think the meme entered Western culture through the Greeks or Romans?

I KNOW it did; do you think otherwise? Technically, the specific term “pedophilia” was coined by a psychiatrist (i.e. NOT the Roman Catholic Church) barely a century ago, after the custom of treating adolescent (or younger) girls as marriageable adults began falling into disrepute despite centuries of nigh universal acceptance (including the Catholic Church.) The previously preferred term “pederastry” is extant (and condemned as often as not) in pagan Greek works centuries before Christs birth, but has strong homosexual connotations unsuited to reference heterosexual pedophilia, hence the neologism. So homosexual pedophilia and its immorality were widely known long before the first pope lived, and heterosexual pedophilia accepted by the Roman Catholic Church and most people for nearly 2000 years after him.

View original postAs far as liberal hypocrisy goes, in the worlds of one of the biggest liberal hypocrites "There you go again." Saying that it is as wrong for a homosexual man to take a bunch of boys camping in the woods as it is for a heterosexual man to take a bunch of girls leads to shrill liberal denunciations and citations of SCIENTIFIC EVIDENCE, that most pedophiles are married and heterosexual. And then you turn around and demand that we solve the problem of priests supposedly committing pedophilia by demanding they join that category.
Make up your minds already.

I have never heard any claim one is more dangerous than the other. Except in per capita terms, comparing the number of heterosexual and homosexual pedophiles is pure selection bias: If a group an order of magnitude larger than another did NOT hold more pedophiles it would strongly indicate a pedophiliac predisposition in the other. Wanna compare per capita pedophilia cases in straights, gays and Catholic priests? PubMed has a study showing hetero- pedophiles outnumber homo- pedophiles 11:1, yet STILL stating that shows pedophilia is more common among homosexuals (while carefully noting the study surveyed pedophiliac DESIRES rather than acts, whose incidence rates could be wholly different.)

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1556756of

Remind me to purge my browser history (and bleach my brain) after this discussion.

View original post
There is a thing called "liberty of conscience." It is often unpopular in Vatican City,
And the DNC.

Please, the old saw is "when Democrats circle the wagons, their guns face inward," though I concede that is less true since the Clintons (a big reason I am no Democrat.) When (and before) I was a kid EVERY Dem presidential primary looked like the current and previous Republican one. Dems are also as notorious for spitefully boycotting elections when their candidate loses the primary as Republicans are for holding their noses and voting as told. Maybe that is changing, but for now Republican desperation to REDUCE voting is matched only by Democratic desperation to INCREASE it, which speaks volumes of how each feels about letting everyone voice be heard (whether or not either listens.) Even if anecdotal charges of Dems bribing homeless people and registering non-citizens were substantiated (which they virtually never are) it would not change the reality that Dem leaders want EVERYONE (i.e. regardless of faction) to vote because they believe (accurately or not) it helps their party, and Republicans agree so strongly that they systematically PREVENT voting for the same reason.

View original post
but remains integral to the US and Christianity (else life would be deterministic and each persons feelings, works, faith, submission to Christ and salvation pre-ordained/denied and unalterable; did you become a Calvinist without telling anyone? ) Liberty of conscience is Americas seminal contribution to the world, our solution to the bloody Thirty Years War and English Civil War that spawned so much American colonization, so our "fundamental" birthright, respect for which is incumbent on all American conservatives. A mans right to swing his arm ends where it meets anothers nose, and not until. If it meets no nose but his own (even if some BELIEVE but cannot PROVE it does) it is no one elses business.
Tumors are human LIFE too, but since they are not human BEINGS their removal is not murder.
No one argues against the removal of tumors. Only fetuses. Or are you now exerting presumptuous authority to declare that they are not human life, or that you have the ability to discern the point at which those qualities become present in a human being?

I never denied fetuses are human life, but so are the tumors you just stated "no one argues against remov[ing],” so LIFE is not the issue: The question is when human life (be it living sperm, zygote or whatever) becomes a human BEING, an answer I do NOT presume PROVEN. What I or anyone KNOWS is irrelevant to law; knowledge absent proof indicates what evidence to seek, but is otherwise worthless. Last I checked, murder convictions required proof beyond reasonable doubt in all US jurisdictions; anyone having such proof about abortion is welcome and encouraged to produce it, but until then….

View original post
I concede grave reservations about whether homosexuality and transgendering causes self-harm, mainly because they preclude the lifelong enrichment of the literal and fullest form of human union (i.e. childbirth.)
Which is not a privilege given to everyone, nor a right. Any such statements expressed by a defender of the practice of murdering children out of convenience is fatuous hypocrisy in the extreme.

"Defender" overstates it: The SOLE alternative is a far greater evil (mainly by sparing virtually no fetuses, only ensuring many women die TOO.) Demonstrating abortion bans reduce total mortality rates would change my position (heaven knows I have switched sides on the issue many times: "when the facts change, I change my mind; what do you do, sir?") "Fatuous hypocrisy" is demanding to kill DEFINITE human beings "because life imprisonment costs me $0.17/yr" while ALSO forbidding anyone kill POSSIBLE human beings whose eventual birth would doom both of them to perpetual poverty. Or, y'know, almost certainly kill both fetus AND the twelve-year-old rape victim whose rapist father sired it (but at least protect the fetus and justice? )

View original post
And I agree in principle that no particular form of universal temptation we all inherited through our carnal flesh exempts anyone from responsibility and eventual accountability (one way or the other.) But, ultimately, everyone elses real or imagined sins or self-harm are also neither my fault nor problem. In terms of this discussion, no partisans who casually dismiss children starving
There is a difference between "casually dismissing" or accepting the limitations of our ability to provide for such, or efficacy of government programs in doing so. Remember, you're the one who believes in zero-sum economics. Any government program to provide welfare for starving children is taking money away from others who might do a better job at it. If you want to toss Bible verses around, "The poor you will always have with you..."

Was Jesus' statement commendation, condemnation or mere observation? Were He crucified again tomorrow I could see an argument to spend finite funds on His honor rather than on starving kids who will (mostly) still be here next week, but He is only "crucified again" by modern Pharisees draping themselves in the flag and pretending to carry His cross, solely to be public spectacles (they have their reward.) Any government program to provide for the poor takes money from people who demonstrably COULD but DO NOT provide for them: Christian charity (and human decency) mandate SOMEONE does, so we should have the integrity to either honor Christ in THAT or else own our Social Darwinism as what it is. Even Objectivists are THAT honest.

US GDP is almost $17 trillion; last I checked (~5 years ago) US wealth was >$62 trillion. Census numbers show 45 million Americans below poverty level: Do the math. >$1 MILLION PER POOR PERSON, or nearly $200,000 PER AMERICAN. Sure, individuals and private groups could extinguish all US poverty instantly an instant if so inclined—yet they… do not. That is where public servants come in: To SERVE the PUBLIC, Social Darwinists be damned (which, though not their judge, is how I would bet.)

View original postKilling poor people, even in utero, to reduce the numbers of poor people, aside from being reprehensible, is never going to work.

Proving them PEOPLE would prove that point relevant, maybe even valid; proving them LIFE is pointless. Blood cells are human LIFE, but killing them is no crime; I am a human BEING, so killing me is.

View original post
because they "choose" birth to impoverished parents has any place to paternalistically protect others from genuine choices to live their beliefs. My serious issues with Catholic doctrine are surely obvious, but one thing I have long admired is its consistency: When the Pope says he is pro-life, he does not mean "except criminals."
I admire how God has never allowed a Pope holding that opinion to speak ex cathedra on the subject, it being merely his opinion.

I must admit, that ex cathedra thing is handy; far better than fundies running around insisting Pauls advice Timothy drink wine for indigestion and every other word he ever wrote was the Holy Spirits divine eternal decree. Not that it stops any such absurd claims anyway: Even when he EXPLICITLY SAID the wish everyone remained unmarried was NOT GODS, but his, and that "it is better to marry than to burn," some folks still declared "priests may not marry" doctrine. The sole consistency in putting words in Gods mouth (or removing His) is self-indulgence.

Regardless, killing people who threaten none is either wrong or not; certainly killing DEFINITE people is no better than killing “maybe” people.

View original post
*Not that it matters, but if it helps you sleep nights: I know no evidence Jenner (who publicly identifies as "NONsexual") is GAY, only transgender. All (known) past sexual relationships were with women, and, in terms of parenting, siring half a dozen kids by three wives likely provides ample parental fulfillment. But if not: Not my call. Nor yours. And spare us the pretention to "respect Jenners right to self-determination despite strongly disagreement with the chosen form:" The vitriol spawning this thread shows no respect for anyone nor anything, and pretending otherwise insults not only Jenner, but also those of us who DO respectfully disagree.
I honestly don't care. I feel bad for him, but he's done this to himself. What I am concerned about is MY freedom of conscience to not be forced to treat him as a woman. I have not the slightest idea how that could ever come around to hurt or inconvenience me, but given the track record of other such mendacious claims by the left in the last 50 years, you people have exactly no trust left. The freedom to sodomize one another the privacy of their own bedrooms has metastasized into punishing business owners for declining to take part in their "personal, private, what-do-you-care-what-they-do-with-their-lives, affairs". If you are going to condemn Republicans by association with a Speaker of the House for actions no one knew he was committing when he was so chosen (and by a vote of a few hundred politicians, not exactly by the Tea Party or the heartland Christian voters), then providing direct services for an event that might be immoral is definitely something that people should be free to decline. IBM is castigated for who they sold computers too, so the right to refuse service MUST be a a fundamental part of freedom of conscience and freedom of association. But all these arguments about "how does this affect you?" got the ball rolling, until people's lives were ruined because of a couple of trolls whose sexual deviation happens to be fashionable decided to harass their bakery.

Every time you people start demanding the privacy of the bedroom, it never stays there.

For what it is worth, private business discrimination is a rare instances where I trust the market (or rather, public censure and enlightened self-interest) will do the job, and far better than punishment and compulsion that only firm rather than remove resentment and hatred. Boycotts work fine; I bet that bakerys lost business has cost far more than any fine or other penalties would have. You are quite right boycotts often arise and are celebrated precisely because businesses do NOT refuse service to unpopular groups, and that we should apply that standard uniformly or not at all.

Segregation withstood even torching Americas cultural and economic heartland and waging a war that took more American lives than all others COMBINED, and even a century later neither law nor force could more than briefly mitigate it: The Screaming Eagles moved Faubus, but could not deploy to every schoolhouse in the US, much less as a permanent garrison. We just observed the semicentennial of the most famous case of what worked best: Boycotts, because the one thing bigots hate more than other people is insolvency. That approach obviates preaching bigotrys foolish self-destructive costs to people who will ignore the arguments anyway; instead, they learn the costs by experience (which “is a hard teacher, but a fool learns from no other”) as their competitors gain all the profits of both rejected customers and those who refuse their patronage in solidarity with those rejected.

I confess difficulty pitying bigots, but the bottom line is that, just as the rain falls on the just and the unjust alike, so the universal right of self-determination rests with each of them. Society can and should encourage tolerance and discourage intolerance, but the moment we use the tool of government to COMPEL rather than PROTECT beliefs we put everyone liberty of conscience at the mercy of a majority that frequently has none. Acceptance must always be optional because tolerance includes everything—even hatred—else it is not tolerance, only consensus.

With that in mind, your comments in this thread deny the transgendered not only acceptance but tolerance as well, which is the main reason they were so broadly condemned. Token acknowledgement of someones right to surgical alteration (for whatever reason) does not excuse consistently incendiary insulting descriptions of them, their beliefs and their behavior. While often difficult (as I know too well,) one can and should candidly state objections without being abusive, not just for the pragmatic purpose of persuasion, but for the much more basic principle of human respect. Short of inciting violence, the First Amendment certainly protects your right to speak of and to people as if they are bad dogs, but if legality bestowed morality your argument would not exist in the first place.

Honorbound and honored to be Bonded to Mahtaliel Sedai
Last First in wotmania Chat
Slightly better than chocolate.

Love still can't be coerced.
Please Don't Eat the Newbies!

LoL. Be well, RAFOlk.
This message last edited by Joel on 17/06/2015 at 10:14:19 AM
Reply to message
Can liberals all stop their posturing about adhering to science? - 05/06/2015 12:04:13 AM 1170 Views
It's not really a difficult concept to understand, man - 05/06/2015 02:23:34 PM 600 Views
Re: It's not really a difficult concept to understand, man - 05/06/2015 09:05:03 PM 599 Views
It's so difficult to parse out your trolling sometimes - 07/06/2015 02:37:11 PM 570 Views
Some people feel like they are women, though born as men. So they take steps to live - 05/06/2015 04:47:14 PM 589 Views
I agree with you in theory - 05/06/2015 09:43:43 PM 474 Views
I think it's okay to be weirded out by it - 08/06/2015 10:28:02 PM 604 Views
gender issues aside the evidence of evolution is undeniable to the extreme - 05/06/2015 08:37:37 PM 470 Views
Well then why do scientists feel the need to make up their own fake evidence? - 05/06/2015 09:16:40 PM 516 Views
The specifics and our understanding always changes - 05/06/2015 09:50:39 PM 522 Views
"A better fit" doesn't sound much like testable hypotheses and observable data - 06/06/2015 12:38:49 AM 657 Views
Science and absolute, unquestioned fact... - 06/06/2015 11:16:10 AM 533 Views
The theory is refined that is all - 08/06/2015 07:11:40 PM 510 Views
We can find Naederthal DNA in modern humans - 08/06/2015 07:01:01 PM 465 Views
I am 3% Neanderthal! My 23andMe Test told me so!! *NM* - 08/06/2015 08:07:35 PM 299 Views
If thought about doing that - 09/06/2015 02:31:11 PM 469 Views
...I'm confused, are you claiming that no real fossils have been found? - 07/06/2015 02:41:12 PM 485 Views
And they prove what, exactly? - 07/06/2015 11:24:43 PM 593 Views
Er, well yeah, that's the point- Scientific knowledge keeps growing and challenging itself - 08/06/2015 02:58:26 PM 533 Views
It's not at all the same. - 09/06/2015 02:53:06 PM 497 Views
I would not have expected to see you adhere to a scientist position - 07/06/2015 03:06:11 AM 548 Views
I am not; I am criticizing the people who apply it inconsistently - 07/06/2015 11:14:05 PM 582 Views
Perhaps she does not believe in hell - 08/06/2015 12:55:50 PM 407 Views
can republicans stop their posturing about adhering to morality? - 08/06/2015 09:17:16 PM 508 Views
My own homosexual inclinations would not constitute hypocrisy in opposing deviant behavior - 09/06/2015 02:14:56 PM 536 Views
"… in the latter times some shall depart from the faith… speaking lies in hypocrisy…" - 15/06/2015 03:36:08 AM 555 Views
See - more liberal doublespeak - 15/06/2015 03:30:57 PM 516 Views
“Who are you calling, ‘you people’?! - 17/06/2015 10:08:32 AM 462 Views
Some other stuff - 15/06/2015 03:45:59 PM 545 Views
See what you (and the devil, of course) made me do? - 17/06/2015 10:16:35 AM 511 Views
I find this entire discussion absolutely hilarious. - 15/06/2015 04:19:31 PM 418 Views
well I am sucb a died in the wool liberal I just cant help myself - 15/06/2015 06:25:57 PM 393 Views
Yeah, you're to the Left of Trotsky. *NM* - 15/06/2015 07:31:28 PM 245 Views
...what? Attacking points is pretty much what debate IS. - 16/06/2015 04:29:05 AM 446 Views
No... - 17/06/2015 08:00:57 PM 435 Views
OK? - 18/06/2015 04:03:32 AM 463 Views
duplicate post, ignore *NM* - 18/06/2015 04:03:47 AM 326 Views
Oh, I'm sorry. - 18/06/2015 09:05:42 PM 527 Views
A thesis delayed till the SECOND paragraph is, at best, misplaced - 20/06/2015 09:37:36 AM 506 Views
Bah, damn you for good points! - 21/06/2015 09:33:49 PM 522 Views
Oh, man, been there, done that, got the T-shirt - 22/06/2015 01:26:13 AM 449 Views
Heheh, thank you for understanding. - 22/06/2015 09:23:11 PM 437 Views
Re: Oh, I'm sorry. - 20/06/2015 04:44:24 PM 565 Views
You're missing my whole issue with labeling. - 21/06/2015 09:32:36 PM 511 Views
This might be a complete non-sequitur, but... - 21/06/2015 10:38:19 PM 404 Views
I'm a hardcore lurker... - 22/06/2015 09:26:59 PM 356 Views
Cool. - 22/06/2015 10:14:45 PM 453 Views
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JFfN5pKzFU *NM* - 15/06/2015 05:01:30 PM 250 Views

Reply to Message