Active Users:232 Time:30/04/2024 01:33:14 AM
You're missing my whole issue with labeling. TyrReborn Send a noteboard - 21/06/2015 09:32:36 PM

If you don't like Obama, then you don't like Obama. You don't like all black people, or attribute various stereotypes and prejudices to them? Racist.

And yes, if you attribute stereotypes and prejudices against gays, then you're a homophobe. Like, that is what that word means.

I'm sorry if you feel like you're being pigeonholed. I'm sure you're a complex, beautiful person, and it probably hurts to be marginalized and described by only one of your attributes (hint). That attribute being, of course, how you feel trans people should be treated.

(Note that I'm not condemning you for thinking transgenderism is a mental illness. I think you're wrong about that, for reasons that I'll go into later. But what I'm criticizing is your reaction to this, and how you think trans people should be treated.)

This is the "Why can't you tolerate intolerance!" argument. It's nothing new, and it comes up any time this sort of conversation happens. If you are using similar arguments as the KKK, you might want to take a breath for some perspective.

And yes, you are definitely free to express your opinions. Note that no one is suggesting you be banned, or this thread deleted, or anything like that?

Stop being a martyr. Just because people disagree with you and tell you you're wrong, doesn't mean you're being oppressed.

These two quotations are dealing with the same thing, albeit in different ways, so I am taking them as one for my response.

First, yes, had I or anyone said 'all gays mean to rape our sons and spread AIDS to everyone!', I WOULD be a homophobe. However, all that I and most reasonable people have said, is that we think their acts are morally reprehensible, and as such, should not be supported. That is not homophobia, that is a legitimately held religious belief, and to label and write off someone for their beliefs is not only offensive to them, it is offensive to the founding principles of this nation.

If you disagree with me, fine, but I'm not going to label you a 'fudgepacker lover', and likewise, you have no right to label me a 'homophobe'.

Likewise, with your claim that the argument is a 'why can't you tolerate intolerance', the fact is, it's not intolerance (at least, again, not for reasonable people. I make no defense for people such as Westboro Baptist Church, or their ilk); there is literally nothing intolerant in stating your religious beliefs.

Secondly, I try to not be mean-spirited in discussions like this, but saying 'if you use similar arguments as the KKK...' is, quite frankly, an absolutely ridiculous statement. Just because some assholes happen to have the same stance as I in a certain area(albeit in a much more offensive way), is no reason to state that someone needs perspective. Hitler supported a cheap car for the masses; does that mean anyone who supports such things should 'take a breath for some perspective'? Genghis Khan forced former nobility to adhere to the same rule of law as commoners. Does that mean anyone who dislikes how Wall Street execs get free rides out of jail, also enjoys raping and pillaging entire nations?

The last thing I will say on this, is that I am not trying to be a martyr. If that were my goal, I would have long since stopped trying to actually discuss the issues, and would be crying about how everyone is mean.

I will be the first to admit that the right has been dicks to LGBT people; labels were used to write them off for years, and that was terribly wrong. The one great thing about this whole movement is that it has done a good job of making us see the LGBT community as people, instead of shadows in the dark to be feared or ignored.
But now, liberals are just writing off any dissent to their opinions, the same as the right used to do. EVERYONE is people, and EVERYONE deserves to be heard. But liberals have been trying to bump anyone who disagrees with them, out of being 'EVERYONE'.

...not at all? Again, you are free to say whatever you want. We're free to say why we think you're wrong.

So, are you saying that we shouldn't listen to people, or that you disagree with my argument that liberals are writing people off? I am assuming it is the latter, in which case, I don't think this is a point I would be able to change your mind on. So I guess I'll just echo your sentiment, and say that I am free to say that I think you're wrong. Agree to disagree I guess.

Do you have a handy word for "The sex that you feel like you are, irrespective of your body?"

I get the impression that you haven't done any research in this area. You should. Long story short, there are fundamental characteristics of transgender brains that are different than cisgender* brains. I'll link to a Wikipedia summary, if you'd like.

So it comes down to that. If we can see that there are actual, physical brain differences in a transgender person, what do we do? Even if we had the technology (which we do not), do we "fix" them? Would you fix someone who is left handed instead of right handed? Maybe if they asked you to. Or maybe stores would just also sell some left-handed scissors and you would get on with your life.

*cisgender means, essentially, sex and gender match. Please do not pitch a fit about liberals making up words.

I know what cisgender means, I watch South Park too.

As to your main point, I will freely admit I am no professional in this area; my opinions come from a religious basis combined with my own observations. A cursory google search brings up a page and a half of links to this study in Spain about brain differences in transgender people, and, to me, this both changes a lot, and changes nothing.

It changes much, because, just as I once believed you couldn't be born gay, before I worked with a couple of homosexuals, it turns out I may be wrong on the transgender issue in this instance.

However, it also changes nothing, because, from a religious basis, it is still a reprehensible act. We all have our trials in this life, but the whole point of being religious is that you are supposed to overcome those trials. A lesbian can be religious, but she must hold to her faith and live by it, and if that means not acting on her natural urges, so be it.

Now, do not get me wrong; I fully understand that, as a religious person, I can NOT expect non-religious folk from living by my standards. I get that, honest.

But, you(and the rest of the liberals) must understand that, to people who hold these legitimate beliefs, you can NOT force us to accept your standards, either. It's a double-edged sword, and liberals seem focused on pretending their edge isn't there.

If I had written you off, I wouldn't be responding to you. I believe you're ignorant, not malicious.

There a few questions you're raising here, all of which are much more complex than you seem to think. For example, what is a mental illness? Is the answer, "someone who radically deviates from the "norm," or maybe "someone who can't perceive reality?"

But pretty much no one is the "norm." And human brains are notorious for constantly fooling themselves.

You say you see LGBT people as people. So that's good. A gay man is pretty radically different. And a lot of people would say that the "reality" is that men are attracted to women. How should we deal with that?

That's not a rhetorical question- how should we deal with gay men, TyrReborn?

So, skipping to the end of this line of thought, it seems to me that "mental illness" is only an issue when it affects the quality of life of the person or others.

Does a person with a penis thinking he's a woman somehow make him unfit to function in society? Does it make him unable to think, love, work? Does throwing on a dress make him likely to attack someone?

No, it does not. And therefore, is not a mental illness. At worst, it's like being gay, or left-handed.

(i.e. something that doesn't matter, yet conservatives over history have pitched a fit about. Yes, left-handedness is in that category).

So in the end, if it turns out the only impact to a transman's quality of life is how people like you treat him... which should we fix? Which CAN we fix? (Those gay-rehabilitation camps don't work so well)

You haven't written me off, and because of that, you're already doing better than 95% of liberals. High five, you can actually discuss something without getting pissed!

Now, I agree with you 100% that no one is the 'norm'. There is no 'normal' human brain(though there is an 'average', but we are not discussing that). You ask 'what is mental illness', and I believe that is an excellent place to start.

'Mental illness', as defined by the Mayo Clinic, is

Mental illness refers to a wide range of mental health conditions — disorders that affect your mood, thinking and behavior. Examples of mental illness include depression, anxiety disorders, schizophrenia, eating disorders and addictive behaviors.

Many people have mental health concerns from time to time. But a mental health concern becomes a mental illness when ongoing signs and symptoms cause frequent stress and affect your ability to function.

A mental illness can make you miserable and can cause problems in your daily life, such as at work or in relationships. In most cases, symptoms can be managed with a combination of medications and counseling (psychotherapy).

EDIT -I can NOT get these quotation tags to work on this whole definition, and I'm too rushed to spend time trying to figure it out atm. The definition ends right before this edit**

Now, I think this is a rather interesting definition. Let's look at this checklist in the definition and compare transgenderism to it. For a transsexual, would this issue affect their mood, thinking, and behavior? Yes. Are there ongoing signs and symptoms that cause frequent stress and the ability to function? Also yes. Does the issue make people miserable, and cause problems in their daily life, such as at work or in relationships? Also, also yes.

So, by this definition, transsexualism hits every single point of a mental illness.

Anyways, I guess that about covers the body of this part of your response, so I'll just answer your question and then jump to the end of it.

How should we deal with a gay man(or woman, I'm as sexist as I am racist or homophobic), you ask? Simple, just like you would deal with anyone else, by treating them with the respect that any human being deserves. However, to be treated with respect you must deserve it. If I walked around town wearing an 'I <3 POONTANG' t-shirt, yelling about how much I looooove sex with women, I could not and should not expect respect from people who believe that sort of statement should not be a public spectacle. Likewise, if a homosexual acts as gay as they possibly can, they should not expect to respected.

Your last point, 'which should we fix? Which CAN we fix?', I will address as well. Yes, we should fix people being huge dicks to others because they are different. Nobody likes an asshole, and we should correct those people.
However, while gay-rehab camps don't work, because they're run by assholes, that does not mean that we shouldn't try to help people with body image issues either. A teenage girl has bulimia, a body image issue, so we try and help her. A teenage girl thinks she should have been a man, an obvious body image issue, we should try and help her.

No one is ignoring any points. People are saying Cannoli's points are WRONG. And they are providing reasoning why.

An opinion isn't a magical, untouchable thing. If you can't defend it, and it's not strong enough to stand on its own, it's not going to last.

I disagree with you here, a lot of people have been ignoring points. Some are providing legitimate arguments against his points, yes, but to say that 'no one' is ignoring them is flat out wrong, sorry.

And I agree, an opinion is not untouchable, or at least shouldn't be. That is what being open-minded is all about.
___

Now, I've addressed your points, and, in danger of going off topic and making myself a hypocrite, I just want to make sure my stance on a couple of these things are crystal clear.

First - My issue with labeling is that labels were, very originally, a means of dehumanizing an opponent, either a single person, an opposing tribe, or an enemy nation.
So, since labeling is inherently a way of making the label-ee lesser, we must take very deep care in this age of not following this same mistake.

Let's take 3 examples. An inner-city youth, an adult farm worker, and a suburban stay-at-home parent. So, from these 3 very non-descriptive examples, your mind can draw a picture of them. Maybe the youth is a young man making straight As trying to get out of the inner city; the worker is trying to support her family back in her home nation; the parent is doing the best he can to raise his kids.

But then, slap a label on them; an at-risk youth, an illegal immigrant, and a soccer dad.

These labels immediately reduce your mental image of a vibrant human being, trying to overcome their own trials to improve their life and those around them, to a one-dimensional paper cutout, whose motivations and struggles have no bearing on how they are treated.

That is why I have such a huge problem with labels. Each and every one of the, what almost 8 billion inhabitants of this planet is a person, and NO person can be reduced down to one word without ignoring and demeaning what it is to be a person.

Second - I said before that I am religious, and I fully understand that I cannot force others to live under my religious code. I get it, and this is like the 4th time this post I've said it, so there's no excuse for anyone to miss it.

As a religious person, when it comes to these LGBT issues, there are 4 options.
1. God does not like these illicit unions, and I do not like them because of that.
2. God does not like these illicit unions, but I think they're ok.
3. God does like these unions, but I believe He doesn't.
4. God does like these unions, and I do too.

Now, as a religious man, I have seen nothing to indicate that God likes LGBT actions, and much to indicate that he does not. Obviously, I could be wrong, it is a possibility that I acknowledge. So, the responses to the 4 options are thus:
1. In doing God's will, I am on the right path and should stay.
2. Directly disobeying God's will, commiting a great sin.
3. Being legitimately ignorant, still a sin but much less so.
4. Doesn't really apply, so...

Anyways, please note that I have not said 'God doesn't like LGBT people', because, as a loving God, he would love them just as much as the most holy person on earth. However, just because you love someone, does not mean you love or support their actions.
___

Anyways, I know this is a long post, and I do apologize, but as you said, you must be able to defend your points, and I try my best to do so, and if that means writing way more than I'd like, I will do so.

This message last edited by TyrReborn on 21/06/2015 at 09:45:42 PM
Reply to message
Can liberals all stop their posturing about adhering to science? - 05/06/2015 12:04:13 AM 1169 Views
It's not really a difficult concept to understand, man - 05/06/2015 02:23:34 PM 599 Views
Re: It's not really a difficult concept to understand, man - 05/06/2015 09:05:03 PM 598 Views
It's so difficult to parse out your trolling sometimes - 07/06/2015 02:37:11 PM 569 Views
Some people feel like they are women, though born as men. So they take steps to live - 05/06/2015 04:47:14 PM 588 Views
I agree with you in theory - 05/06/2015 09:43:43 PM 473 Views
I think it's okay to be weirded out by it - 08/06/2015 10:28:02 PM 603 Views
gender issues aside the evidence of evolution is undeniable to the extreme - 05/06/2015 08:37:37 PM 470 Views
Well then why do scientists feel the need to make up their own fake evidence? - 05/06/2015 09:16:40 PM 516 Views
The specifics and our understanding always changes - 05/06/2015 09:50:39 PM 521 Views
"A better fit" doesn't sound much like testable hypotheses and observable data - 06/06/2015 12:38:49 AM 656 Views
Science and absolute, unquestioned fact... - 06/06/2015 11:16:10 AM 532 Views
The theory is refined that is all - 08/06/2015 07:11:40 PM 509 Views
We can find Naederthal DNA in modern humans - 08/06/2015 07:01:01 PM 464 Views
I am 3% Neanderthal! My 23andMe Test told me so!! *NM* - 08/06/2015 08:07:35 PM 299 Views
If thought about doing that - 09/06/2015 02:31:11 PM 468 Views
...I'm confused, are you claiming that no real fossils have been found? - 07/06/2015 02:41:12 PM 484 Views
And they prove what, exactly? - 07/06/2015 11:24:43 PM 593 Views
Er, well yeah, that's the point- Scientific knowledge keeps growing and challenging itself - 08/06/2015 02:58:26 PM 532 Views
It's not at all the same. - 09/06/2015 02:53:06 PM 497 Views
I would not have expected to see you adhere to a scientist position - 07/06/2015 03:06:11 AM 547 Views
I am not; I am criticizing the people who apply it inconsistently - 07/06/2015 11:14:05 PM 581 Views
Perhaps she does not believe in hell - 08/06/2015 12:55:50 PM 406 Views
can republicans stop their posturing about adhering to morality? - 08/06/2015 09:17:16 PM 507 Views
My own homosexual inclinations would not constitute hypocrisy in opposing deviant behavior - 09/06/2015 02:14:56 PM 536 Views
"… in the latter times some shall depart from the faith… speaking lies in hypocrisy…" - 15/06/2015 03:36:08 AM 554 Views
See - more liberal doublespeak - 15/06/2015 03:30:57 PM 515 Views
“Who are you calling, ‘you people’?! - 17/06/2015 10:08:32 AM 461 Views
Some other stuff - 15/06/2015 03:45:59 PM 544 Views
See what you (and the devil, of course) made me do? - 17/06/2015 10:16:35 AM 510 Views
I find this entire discussion absolutely hilarious. - 15/06/2015 04:19:31 PM 418 Views
well I am sucb a died in the wool liberal I just cant help myself - 15/06/2015 06:25:57 PM 392 Views
Yeah, you're to the Left of Trotsky. *NM* - 15/06/2015 07:31:28 PM 244 Views
...what? Attacking points is pretty much what debate IS. - 16/06/2015 04:29:05 AM 446 Views
No... - 17/06/2015 08:00:57 PM 434 Views
OK? - 18/06/2015 04:03:32 AM 463 Views
duplicate post, ignore *NM* - 18/06/2015 04:03:47 AM 325 Views
Oh, I'm sorry. - 18/06/2015 09:05:42 PM 526 Views
A thesis delayed till the SECOND paragraph is, at best, misplaced - 20/06/2015 09:37:36 AM 505 Views
Bah, damn you for good points! - 21/06/2015 09:33:49 PM 521 Views
Oh, man, been there, done that, got the T-shirt - 22/06/2015 01:26:13 AM 448 Views
Heheh, thank you for understanding. - 22/06/2015 09:23:11 PM 436 Views
Re: Oh, I'm sorry. - 20/06/2015 04:44:24 PM 565 Views
You're missing my whole issue with labeling. - 21/06/2015 09:32:36 PM 511 Views
This might be a complete non-sequitur, but... - 21/06/2015 10:38:19 PM 403 Views
I'm a hardcore lurker... - 22/06/2015 09:26:59 PM 356 Views
Cool. - 22/06/2015 10:14:45 PM 453 Views
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JFfN5pKzFU *NM* - 15/06/2015 05:01:30 PM 249 Views

Reply to Message