Active Users:226 Time:30/04/2024 03:04:41 AM
Shh, saying things like that will sacrifice all your credibility Joel Send a noteboard - 24/06/2015 04:40:45 AM

View original postI'm going to group a couple of spread out points as one, since they both address gender as opposed to sex.
Easy to grasp, maybe; to find, not so much. It was buried amid far too much condescension, insult and provocation, which I suspect is what most people took exception to (but I may be projecting there.)

Also, his thesis ignored the distinction between gender and sex, which is curious, because I suspect he is sufficiently familiar with foreign languages to be well aware of it. In a sense, one could argue the difference between APPEARANCE or USAGE and NATURE is exactly the difference. To take an example many Americans would recognize, "el pollo" is Spanish for "the chicken" and "la gallina" for "the hen." Of course, a hen is both a chicken and one of the female variety, but if one were to reference a hen generically in Spanish as a chicken it would NOT be correct to say, "la pollo," because the word "pollo" is NEVER of feminine gender even though hens are EXCLUSIVELY SO. By accident or design, the term transGENDER is precisely accurate.

Right, Cannoli already attributed that analogy to Lincoln, and several people have already addressed it: Call an elephant COW "LA elephante" rather than "EL elephante" and any fluent Spanish speaker will assume you an idiot.
First, true, his thesis may have been misplaced, but he's not writing an academic paper, he was tossing out some points on a message board. As for insult, it's been, oh, a week or so since I've read anything but this thread I (unfortunately) started, I don't really remember him insulting anyone; however, condescension and provocation are, I'm pretty sure, Cannoli's bread and water, so I can't fault him too much for that.

Well, to be fair, I mainly had in mind

View original postIf your rights of expression including presenting yourself as a different gender, then you have to accept my right to say "No you're not. Get out of my house/store/office, you freak."

That is true, though very insulting, but also the end of a reply he posted to one of the OPs responses. However, the OPs line about Robamacare mandating transgender “therapy” in the form of smacking people in the head until they accept a gender matching their sex and denying their identity was rather insulting and provocative. Cannoli so consistently ignores Poes Law and his posts are so consistently over the top that I can never be sure what is hyperbole and what earnest, but taking the quoted statement seriously is consistent with his tone toward transgendered people (among others…) throughout this thread. And yeah, that is part of his style (one of the few significant stylistic differences I note between us,) which is fine when bashing fictional (and annoying) people like Egwene or Elaida. It is far less “tolerable” when directed at ACTUAL people, particularly those his audience members care about (or happen to BE.) People dislike others “tolerantly” going on at length about what sick filth their loved ones are; he has the right to do it (short of violence) but everyone else has the right to tell him what an SOB he is for abusing his rights as a verbal bludgeon.

View original postSecondly, on gender(and as an aside, I make no claim to being a language professional. If I err, it is from ignorance, not malice or the need to be right);

Oh, fear (me) not: I am no englishian, just an enthusiast. You know how it is; I started a garage journal with some friends because one guy had a typewriter and a ribbon, and we played some of the local poetry clubs and coffee bars, plus the occasional HS commencement or wedding toast when we REALLY needed money, but never got picked up by any big newsstands, and eventually we all had kids and got jobs. I still miss it sometimes; take out my pen and just jot a little for fun, but no one can be a kid forever, man. We wrote pretty hard though, back in the day: It was awesome!

View original postyou have an excellent point about the distinction between gender and sex... if this discussion was based on current events in Mexico or Spain. But, this discussion is based on America, and in English, sex(as in, whether you're male or female, not the act) and gender have always been synonymous.

That is a valid point, but illustrates an idiosyncratic English limitation rather than sex and gender being synonymous: Americans have always SEEN gender and sex as synonymous DESPITE the fact they are NOT, because our language obscures that fact and most of us have little need to learn any other, so never do. People whose native language is strongly declining, and/or who have compelling cause to gain fluency in one that is, know better, but it has been about a century since most Americans knew what happened in other countries, much less cared.

One of the ironic ways our hegemony is undermining itself by discouraging the very things that achieved it: We rocketed to the top in large part because we dismissed traditions counterproductive aspects in favor of innovation, often driven by immigrants (and thus their unique cultural advances) from all over the world. Now we just want to keep forever doing the same things that USED to work even though they long ago ceased doing so, despite other nations steadily closing the gap for 40 years until EU GDP finally passed ours two years ago. And, of course, any nation doing better (e.g. ALL Nordic ones, Germany and France) are just godless commie foreigners who can never understand American Exceptionalism. Mainly because we are no longer truly exceptional, just weirdly devolving.</tangent>

Anyway, many Americans conflating two distinct things just because our language lacks the MEANS to distinguish them and most of us lack the incentive to learn another equates distinct things nowhere but in our minds.

View original postI guess, on this respect, my lack of expertise may be killing my argument, and that's fine, I suppose. I probably shouldn't even be debating this, but I do feel I need to at the very minimum address your points with the understanding that I have.

Been there, too. No worries: I pretend no expertise, and few RAFOlk who DO possess it remain active, especially on the CMB; maybe under a third.

View original postAs for your other points in the first quote, I will say roughly the same thing I said to beet yesterday. Not liking a group of people because of personal preferences DOES make you an -ist, I will not debate that. I am from the South, so, I have seen and known more than my fair share of -ists, both to races and other groups. However, not supporting a group of people because of their actions, based on honestly held religious or moral beliefs, does not make you an -ist. Being a dick about those beliefs may make you an -ist, but if you treat the group you do not support as you should treat any other person(Golden Rule...), then you're not being offensive, and as such, nobody has any call to label you with the assholes. That's, I guess, basically my issue with calling religious people -phobes. See the end of my response to beetnemesis for this in more depth.

Yeah, no argument there (quite the opposite.) But remember: It applies to labels like “liberal” as well as “religious.” Especially for people to whom BOTH labels apply, whose numbers are tens of millions. Check the stats on self-identified US liberals and Christians, do the math, and ask yourself how many of them necessarily overlap. When his unconscious juvenile son lay in a rainy ditch awaiting an ambulance after a wreck, Gore got down on his knees in the mud and prayed to Christ, not Richard Dawkins. The REVEREND Dr. Martin Luther King was a (SOUTHERN) Baptist minister named for the man who turned the Reformation into Protestantism, and his protégé Jesse Jackson is also a Southern Baptist minister. So is Sharpton. People most prone to call Obama Muslim (as if Islam were illegal) are also first to bash his hometown CHRISTIAN church.

They got in before a bunch of Republican politicians staged a coup to takeover and exploit the Southern Baptist Convention at its annual meeting in my hometown back In ’79, but even now there are more seminaries than Liberty University (whose founder was the son of a CONGRESSMAN and never attending ANY seminary; his sole seminary degree is honorary.) The others just make Defender of the Faith a full time job for those of us not self-serving bigots turning the crucifixes into campaign buttons.

View original post
Nah, everyone still has the right to be heard: Including those disgusted by some things they hear from some others. Likewise, everyone remains entitled to their own opinions and beliefs--which in no way precludes bigotry, something almost entirely a matter of opinion, often in defiance of fact. Simply disliking one INDIVIDUAL, or even several, does not prove bigotry (at least not beyond being a "Frankist"--but disliking ALL people with a certain attribute DOES prove one bigoted against that attribute. So does disliking all people with that attribute "except my [token] friend so-and-so; s/he is one of the good ones." Anyone who feels a group so CATEGORICALLY bad the "few" exceptions merit special notice simply for BEING exceptions to bigotry remains a bigot.

I am prescriptivist enough to dislike the term "-phobe" (although fear is a common cause of hatred, or hatred a common cloak for fear, if one prefers) but someone who "dislikes gays" (i.e. not a particular incidentally gay person disliked for something that particular person did, but ALL gays, even those of whose existence they are unaware) is definitely a "homoist." I DISAGREE with homosexuality, but neither fear nor hate homosexuals. Like all decent people, my bigotry is against conservatives.

Yes, everyone does have the right to be heard, and yes, everyone is entitled to their beliefs. I've never argued against someONE saying I'm a -phobe, I've simply argued against anyone being labeled in any way. If someone reads my posts on this thread and decides I am the asshole spawn of Hitler and Stalin themselves, fine, that's your opinion and I have no issue with that. But label me a 'nazi communist fuckwad', and that's where I have problems.

Would “freak” be better? Maybe if the person calling you that also suggested someone knock some sense into you?

View original postYou also caught one of my big issues with the word -phobe, of which I am glad. I don't fear any one in the LGBT community (though that could change if I got cornered by a 7'6" 325 gay NFL linebacker threatening to beat the shit outta me for my comments this thread...), I, and other legitimately religious people I know, simply do not like or support their actions.

Whoa, now, that is TWO labels: Not just “religious” but “LEGITIMATELY religious.” None but God is arbiter of anyones faith nor lack thereof. I happen to agree those contending Christian doctrine allows practicing homosexuality are mistaken, but cannot know them insincere.

View original postAs for your 'bigotry against conservatives smileyface', well, that's your opinion and I can't say you're wrong. I myself have several issues with conservatives(lack of empathy or any attempt whatsoever to help the poorest of us, lack of understanding of simple economics[trickle-down my ass...]), but, since most of my issues with conservatives are secular, and my issues with liberals are entirely moral, I simply must stand with the conservatives.

Lack of empathy is not a moral issue? What did Christ call the second greatest commandment, and why did He say it is like the first? He said the two between them contain ALL the Law AND Prophets, and that we should do unto others as we would have them do unto us, so empathy is both fundamentally integral to Christian doctrine.

As for trickle-down, ignorance would be excusable, but it is implausible to believe AUTHORS of a policy sincerely ignorant of its mechanisms and effects: Cheap labor is (temporarily) good for business, and mass unemployment creates labor gluts (i.e. cheap labor.) It also destroys demand, so the independently wealthy with no fear of how to pay rent or buy groceries can stock up on supply at fire sale price, pay taxes on it until the inevitable recovery, then sell everything for many times what they paid. Supply-side is easy to grasp, just hard to EXCUSE; look at the Depression, or what France and Germany did to what they derisively call the GIPSIs (or PIIGS) when victim-blaming.

What did Christs half-brother, first leader of the Jerusalem Church, say about THAT? What did pretty much ALL the Prophets repeatedly say? IF one accepts the US as “New Canaan” the principal cause of Gods destructive wrath on Israel and Judah is a MORAL as well as pertinent issue, no? What was the SOLE case of CHRIST COMMITTING VIOLENCE in the Gospels? How many masters can a man serve? How does serving one REQUIRE he regard the other? Christians can remain in fellowship with (equally Christian) Mennonites, but never Mammonites.

I included the smiley in deference to Poes Law, but it is my enduring shame that some of my states Republican officeholders made the Southern Baptist Convention apostate (expelling all who resisted) in my hometown. Not to say it got very bad very fast and remains so, but: The state judge who engineered it eventually HIMSELF President of the Southern Baptist Convention. It was his ranch GOP religious conservatives used for a meeting seeking a consensus Christian alternative to the GOPs Mormon presumptive 2012 presidential nominee. Yet when Wall St. finalized its choice, those devoutly Republican Protestants went right out and voted for the Mormon anyway. “Their god is their belly.”

View original post
Correct again: The problem emerges with declaring people fundamentally and inherently wrong and dysfunctional. They ARE, but no more than anyone, so no more worthy of censure. One should certainly seize any OCCASION and opportunity to state their case on MERIT and with the same basic universal respect and consideration every person deserves. Note that does NOT include (and actually PRECLUDES) vicious insults and belittling. Not only does such an approach "persuade" no one of anything (except that the speaker is an ass) and instead prompt justified angry dismissal of deeply offensive remarks, it would be wrong regardless because one should not speak to fellow human beings like a stray dog that just sprayed their carpet.

The bottom line is always the same: Rational consenting adults are entitled to do as they please individually and collectively. I have never heard of anyone who PREFERRED hallucinating bugs beneath their skin, but if someone who does finds a doctor who believes implanting them is consistent with the hippocratic oath, I wish them both all the luck they shall need. If one of them mentioned it to me I would certainly do my best to talk them out of it, but not by calling them deranged perverts (in fact, I would consciously avoid that because rather than hearing me out they would THROW me out, and be justified.)

Yes, the problem is people being declared 'fundamentally and inherently wrong and dysfunctional'. Because, as you say, everyone is dysfunctional. As I said to beet, there is no such thing as a 'normal' human brain, and trying to group people by being 'abnormal' is wrong.

However, again, there is a huge difference between saying 'There's something wrong with this person' and saying 'What this person is doing is wrong'. Now(and again, see my response to beet), transsexualism does hit every checkmark of being a mental illness, as defined by the Mayo Clinic. It certainly seems to be a severe body image issue, similar to anorexia/bulimia. I could be 100% wrong; I make no claims to being a mental health professional. However, straight up ignoring the possibility that it IS a mental illness, prevents any possibility of help.

Bruce Jenner was a mature adult, and he felt that he should be a she. Fine, she can do that, because she is an adult. But take a 15 year old girl who thinks she's a human balloon, and suffers from bulimia. Should she receive help? Of course, because she needs it! Likewise, a 15 year old girl who thinks she should have been a man, should not receive wholesale support from those around her. Mental health professionals need to work with her, because there is a massive disconnect between what she believes and what she is, exactly the same as with bulimia.

As noted in my response to your response to beetnemesis, the question of Mayos mental illness criteria turns on whether people are stressed and lose their ability to function because they are TRANSGENDERED or because of REACTIONS to it. EVERYTHING I have EVER heard from ANY transgendered person says the trauma comes from concealing/denying their identity and how others react to it (or are expected to react.) NOTHING I have EVER heard from ANY suggests otherwise. That strongly suggests the mental malady is not being transgendered, but the attached stigma.

View original post
Addressing a thesis' supporting arguments is not arguing about "nothing," it is arguing about the thesis. If someone disputed Cannolis point without addressing ANY of his supporting arguments, he would (enthusiastically) shred them for closed minded denial that ignored his logic and evidence.
Yes, some have addressed his points. But, come on, man, look at the 74? 75? posts in this thread. You can not argue that most, or even a large minority, have been in any way except tangentially related to Cannoli's thesis. Hell, you and random thoughts are debating the very existence of an omnipotent being. How is THAT related at all?

It is not: It is a good old fashioned CMB threadjack. But look at the responses to Cannoli: Toms responded to Cannolis thesis in its SUBJECT LINE (which is the best place for a posts thesis; Cannoli actually did the same in his OP.) But the OP contained far more than just a thesis, and rebutting a thesis without giving its purported supporting arguments proportionate rebuttal is impossible.

View original post
"Theses," and which cannot be constructively debated without also addressing their supporting arguments. Since those arguments are (ideally) the bulk of arguments of which the thesis is only the principal one, and since that principal argument stands or falls SOLELY on those supporting arguments, those are the primary ones responders have addressed. No one has ignored the thesis, only defeated it in detail, as it advanced in detail, as is proper.
Shit! I should have known that.

It happens.

View original postAs for the other part of this, very related to the last point. Some have addressed his thesis by discussing his arguments, you being about the only one I can think of off the top of my head. But, to say that 'no one' has ignored his thesis is straight up wrong.

I have been up way too long to want to hunt through all the replies directly to Cannoli, so will not dispute that, except to again note that Toms subject line (to name at least a prominent one) responded to Cannolis thesis.

View original post
Oh, that last part required no aid, but few (if any) people have ignored Cannolis pointS, not even his thesis. People have simply addressed far more of his pointS than JUST the thesis, because simply shouting, "NUH UH!" is in no sense debate (even if Monty Python makes the case it IS an argument. )
Well, heh, Cannoli seems to be a passionate person. Just look on the WoTMB. But simply being vehement in support of your personal stance does not make you offensive, and most of Cannoli's venom has been to people who basically said 'nuh uh', and to the way liberals pick and choose when they apply scientific principles, not towards LGBT people. So, calling him a -phobe is wrong, as he exhibited none of the hallmarks of -phobia(not even the loosely defined -phobia that are applied to everyone who dislikes anything).

Again: Calling transgendered people “freaks” and suggesting they be “therapeutically” hit in the head until they “come to their senses” or whatever is extremely (and deliberately) offensive. And passionate, sure; hatred is a type of passion.

View original postIn closing, I don't really have too much to say except, I accept the (seemingly inevitable) realization that my understanding of the synonymity of 'sex' and 'gender' may be wrong, so my arguments there may not hold much weight. However, I still stand by my issues with labeling people(any people; either those I oppose or those I agree with), and my defense of Cannoli, AND my statement that very few people have actually discussed Cannoli's thesis.

Well, a perennial troll is bound to get a few goats; that IS the point. You talked me into reviewing the thread: We have between us established at least three people responded to Cannolis thesis, and the subject line of rts first response also referenced it. He did gloss over the transgender aspect—but still spawned a thread where FIVE people addressed Cannolis thesis, included two who had not previously. None of that counts you, which we obviously should. So 60-70% of thread responders addressed Cannolis thesis (depending how we count rt,) either immediately or eventually. Maybe as many as 80%; I have not checked Dions YouTube link, because I do not know how long it is, and do have a toddler to regularly wrangle. Either way, that is more than a majority and quite a bit more than “few.”

Honorbound and honored to be Bonded to Mahtaliel Sedai
Last First in wotmania Chat
Slightly better than chocolate.

Love still can't be coerced.
Please Don't Eat the Newbies!

LoL. Be well, RAFOlk.
Reply to message
Can liberals all stop their posturing about adhering to science? - 05/06/2015 12:04:13 AM 1169 Views
It's not really a difficult concept to understand, man - 05/06/2015 02:23:34 PM 600 Views
Re: It's not really a difficult concept to understand, man - 05/06/2015 09:05:03 PM 598 Views
It's so difficult to parse out your trolling sometimes - 07/06/2015 02:37:11 PM 569 Views
Some people feel like they are women, though born as men. So they take steps to live - 05/06/2015 04:47:14 PM 589 Views
I agree with you in theory - 05/06/2015 09:43:43 PM 474 Views
I think it's okay to be weirded out by it - 08/06/2015 10:28:02 PM 603 Views
gender issues aside the evidence of evolution is undeniable to the extreme - 05/06/2015 08:37:37 PM 470 Views
Well then why do scientists feel the need to make up their own fake evidence? - 05/06/2015 09:16:40 PM 516 Views
The specifics and our understanding always changes - 05/06/2015 09:50:39 PM 521 Views
"A better fit" doesn't sound much like testable hypotheses and observable data - 06/06/2015 12:38:49 AM 656 Views
Science and absolute, unquestioned fact... - 06/06/2015 11:16:10 AM 532 Views
The theory is refined that is all - 08/06/2015 07:11:40 PM 509 Views
We can find Naederthal DNA in modern humans - 08/06/2015 07:01:01 PM 464 Views
I am 3% Neanderthal! My 23andMe Test told me so!! *NM* - 08/06/2015 08:07:35 PM 299 Views
If thought about doing that - 09/06/2015 02:31:11 PM 469 Views
...I'm confused, are you claiming that no real fossils have been found? - 07/06/2015 02:41:12 PM 484 Views
And they prove what, exactly? - 07/06/2015 11:24:43 PM 593 Views
Er, well yeah, that's the point- Scientific knowledge keeps growing and challenging itself - 08/06/2015 02:58:26 PM 533 Views
It's not at all the same. - 09/06/2015 02:53:06 PM 497 Views
I would not have expected to see you adhere to a scientist position - 07/06/2015 03:06:11 AM 547 Views
I am not; I am criticizing the people who apply it inconsistently - 07/06/2015 11:14:05 PM 581 Views
Perhaps she does not believe in hell - 08/06/2015 12:55:50 PM 406 Views
can republicans stop their posturing about adhering to morality? - 08/06/2015 09:17:16 PM 508 Views
My own homosexual inclinations would not constitute hypocrisy in opposing deviant behavior - 09/06/2015 02:14:56 PM 536 Views
"… in the latter times some shall depart from the faith… speaking lies in hypocrisy…" - 15/06/2015 03:36:08 AM 554 Views
See - more liberal doublespeak - 15/06/2015 03:30:57 PM 515 Views
“Who are you calling, ‘you people’?! - 17/06/2015 10:08:32 AM 461 Views
Some other stuff - 15/06/2015 03:45:59 PM 545 Views
See what you (and the devil, of course) made me do? - 17/06/2015 10:16:35 AM 511 Views
I find this entire discussion absolutely hilarious. - 15/06/2015 04:19:31 PM 418 Views
well I am sucb a died in the wool liberal I just cant help myself - 15/06/2015 06:25:57 PM 392 Views
Yeah, you're to the Left of Trotsky. *NM* - 15/06/2015 07:31:28 PM 244 Views
...what? Attacking points is pretty much what debate IS. - 16/06/2015 04:29:05 AM 446 Views
No... - 17/06/2015 08:00:57 PM 435 Views
OK? - 18/06/2015 04:03:32 AM 463 Views
duplicate post, ignore *NM* - 18/06/2015 04:03:47 AM 325 Views
Oh, I'm sorry. - 18/06/2015 09:05:42 PM 526 Views
A thesis delayed till the SECOND paragraph is, at best, misplaced - 20/06/2015 09:37:36 AM 505 Views
Bah, damn you for good points! - 21/06/2015 09:33:49 PM 521 Views
Oh, man, been there, done that, got the T-shirt - 22/06/2015 01:26:13 AM 448 Views
Heheh, thank you for understanding. - 22/06/2015 09:23:11 PM 436 Views
Shh, saying things like that will sacrifice all your credibility - 24/06/2015 04:40:45 AM 472 Views
Re: Oh, I'm sorry. - 20/06/2015 04:44:24 PM 565 Views
You're missing my whole issue with labeling. - 21/06/2015 09:32:36 PM 511 Views
This might be a complete non-sequitur, but... - 21/06/2015 10:38:19 PM 403 Views
I'm a hardcore lurker... - 22/06/2015 09:26:59 PM 356 Views
Cool. - 22/06/2015 10:14:45 PM 453 Views
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JFfN5pKzFU *NM* - 15/06/2015 05:01:30 PM 249 Views

Reply to Message