Active Users:269 Time:30/04/2024 05:40:17 AM
A thesis delayed till the SECOND paragraph is, at best, misplaced Joel Send a noteboard - 20/06/2015 09:37:36 AM

View original postI didn't know you were too good for Webster's.
View original post
But you CANNOT claim to be the scientific ideology, when you run around proclaiming a human being with a Y-chromosome is a woman!

"Liberals claim to be objective and scientific, yet are willing to call a person with a Y chromosome a 'woman.'"

You worded his thesis slightly differently, but his was in no way difficult to find or grasp.
hint It was the first sentence of the 2nd paragraph.

Easy to grasp, maybe; to find, not so much. It was buried amid far too much condescension, insult and provocation, which I suspect is what most people took exception to (but I may be projecting there.)

Also, his thesis ignored the distinction between gender and sex, which is curious, because I suspect he is sufficiently familiar with foreign languages to be well aware of it. In a sense, one could argue the difference between APPEARANCE or USAGE and NATURE is exactly the difference. To take an example many Americans would recognize, "el pollo" is Spanish for "the chicken" and "la gallina" for "the hen." Of course, a hen is both a chicken and one of the female variety, but if one were to reference a hen generically in Spanish as a chicken it would NOT be correct to say, "la pollo," because the word "pollo" is NEVER of feminine gender even though hens are EXCLUSIVELY SO. By accident or design, the term transGENDER is precisely accurate.

View original post
View original postA bit? But that's what he IS. He is someone who is anti-trans people, rights, and acceptance. That's what being transphobic IS. He doesn't have to go beating up Thai ladyboys in the street to make that so.

Listen, I know it sounds bad to be called a racist, or a homophobe, or a transphobe, or anything else like that, but... I mean, it is what it is. I'm anti-frozen yogurt and anti-treating-cheerleading-as-a-sport. There may not be any popular celebrities currently on the other side of that issue, but that doesn't mean I'm any less prejudiced against froyo. Just eat some goddamn ice cream!

No, dude, he's not. Just because you don't like something, or someone, doesn't mean you're a -phobe or an -ist. This is one of those stupid things liberals have pulled. You don't like Obama? Racist. You don't like gays? Homophobe.

But the thing is, that's not what we are. We are people who have our own opinions and beliefs, and we are just as free to express them as anyone else, but labeling people is the way to write off those opinions and beliefs as something to be ignored.

I will be the first to admit that the right has been dicks to LGBT people; labels were used to write them off for years, and that was terribly wrong. The one great thing about this whole movement is that it has done a good job of making us see the LGBT community as people, instead of shadows in the dark to be feared or ignored.

But now, liberals are just writing off any dissent to their opinions, the same as the right used to do. EVERYONE is people, and EVERYONE deserves to be heard. But liberals have been trying to bump anyone who disagrees with them, out of being 'EVERYONE'.

Nah, everyone still has the right to be heard: Including those disgusted by some things they hear from some others. Likewise, everyone remains entitled to their own opinions and beliefs--which in no way precludes bigotry, something almost entirely a matter of opinion, often in defiance of fact. Simply disliking one INDIVIDUAL, or even several, does not prove bigotry (at least not beyond being a "Frankist")--but disliking ALL people with a certain attribute DOES prove one bigoted against that attribute. So does disliking all people with that attribute "except my [token] friend so-and-so; s/he is one of the good ones." Anyone who feels a group so CATEGORICALLY bad the "few" exceptions merit special notice simply for BEING exceptions to bigotry remains a bigot.

I am prescriptivist enough to dislike the term "-phobe" (although fear is a common cause of hatred, or hatred a common cloak for fear, if one prefers) but someone who "dislikes gays" (i.e. not a particular incidentally gay person disliked for something that particular person did, but ALL gays, even those of whose existence they are unaware) is definitely a "homoist." I DISAGREE with homosexuality, but neither fear nor hate homosexuals. Like all decent people, my bigotry is against conservatives.

View original post
View original post...You do realize this is basically irrelevant, right? Even if I fully agreed with you that the definition of gender was manipulated from it's "true" definition, it doesn't really change anything.

A trans person is a person who feels like a person of a different sex than they were born as. I mean, if you want to invent some new, third word for that, you can? It doesn't make the concept go away.

There's a couple points here I'd like to address.

First, it is not irrelevant. If I call an elephants tail a leg, how many legs does the elephant have? It still has 4, because calling something, something else, does not make it so.

Right, Cannoli already attributed that analogy to Lincoln, and several people have already addressed it: Call an elephant COW "LA elephante" rather than "EL elephante" and any fluent Spanish speaker will assume you an idiot.

View original postLikewise, changing the definition of gender to match the wishful thinking of a small minority of the population, does not actually change what gender means.

Correct: Changing "gender"s ACTUAL meaning because it squicks a small minority would not change that ACTUAL meaning a bit (just screw up English.)

View original postSecondly, there is a word for someone who feels like a person of a different sex than they were born as. That word is 'disorder' as in 'mental disorder'. Something is broken, and they need help, not to be mutilated so that their skewed image of themselves can take over their reality.

If a schizophrenic believes there's spiders in his skin, would you implant actual spiders into his skin so he wouldn't be wrong?

Look, I know this isn't a popular thing to say, and we'll end up with you writing me off as a -phobe, which you probably already have. But the fact is that these people need help, not 'support' being who they are, and all of this hullabaloo nowadays is simply destroying any chance of actual mental health professionals being able to help these people, which is what they truly need.

Correct again: The problem emerges with declaring people fundamentally and inherently wrong and dysfunctional. They ARE, but no more than anyone, so no more worthy of censure. One should certainly seize any OCCASION and opportunity to state their case on MERIT and with the same basic universal respect and consideration every person deserves. Note that does NOT include (and actually PRECLUDES) vicious insults and belittling. Not only does such an approach "persuade" no one of anything (except that the speaker is an ass) and instead prompt justified angry dismissal of deeply offensive remarks, it would be wrong regardless because one should not speak to fellow human beings like a stray dog that just sprayed their carpet.

The bottom line is always the same: Rational consenting adults are entitled to do as they please individually and collectively. I have never heard of anyone who PREFERRED hallucinating bugs beneath their skin, but if someone who does finds a doctor who believes implanting them is consistent with the hippocratic oath, I wish them both all the luck they shall need. If one of them mentioned it to me I would certainly do my best to talk them out of it, but not by calling them deranged perverts (in fact, I would consciously avoid that because rather than hearing me out they would THROW me out, and be justified.)

It spun off into a side conversation. Have you never been on a message board before? Cannoli said something that people wanted to discuss, and the format of this message board meant that it became its own sub-discussion.
___
I guess what I'm saying is, you're not making a lot of sense.

You're upset that people are "nitpicking," but people are just responding to what Cannoli is saying. And he says a lot of things, in different ways.

Oh, I've been on messageboards before, and I get how conversations go, but when I see this exact same derailment every time anywhere liberals and conservatives are "discussing" something, I feel that I should step in where I can and call people out on it. If you're not going to discuss the point of what someone says, why even bother acknowledging that they said anything?

Ignoring something doesn't make it go away, and I still have yet to see any cohesive argument against Cannoli's thesis.

Again, several people have given the response I have twice repeated: Gender and sex are not synonymous, so one can change even though the other cannot, and there is nothing unscientific about that.

View original post
View original postI mean, if you want, I can just make a blanket opposition statement to Cannoli, and not talk about anything he said to back it up. But then the same holds true for you, and then we're just two people with different opinions staring at each other.

Which is fine, people are allowed to have different opinions. But don't act like arguing and trying to change other people's minds is some kind of moral affront.

Actually, yeah, I would, because then we could actually have a discussion about the whole point of the original post, instead of scattering to the winds and arguing about nothing.

Addressing a thesis' supporting arguments is not arguing about "nothing," it is arguing about the thesis. If someone disputed Cannolis point without addressing ANY of his supporting arguments, he would (enthusiastically) shred them for closed minded denial that ignored his logic and evidence.

View original postBut anyways, now we get back to your very light grasp on what a debate is. 2 people with different opinions, 'staring' at each other is basically exactly what a debate is supposed to be. They both have their thesis and supporting arguments, but the debate must be centered around their thesises? Thesi? Regardless, they are to discuss their points until a conclusion is reached.

"Theses," and which cannot be constructively debated without also addressing their supporting arguments. Since those arguments are (ideally) the bulk of arguments of which the thesis is only the principal one, and since that principal argument stands or falls SOLELY on those supporting arguments, those are the primary ones responders have addressed. No one has ignored the thesis, only defeated it in detail, as it advanced in detail, as is proper.
View original postI have no problem with changing my mind, and would be thrilled if someone on this messageboard managed it. However, that's never going to happen when someone opens a forum for a legitimate discussion, and everyone else ignores his points to make him look like a -phobe.

Oh, that last part required no aid, but few (if any) people have ignored Cannolis pointS, not even his thesis. People have simply addressed far more of his pointS than JUST the thesis, because simply shouting, "NUH UH!" is in no sense debate (even if Monty Python makes the case it IS an argument. )

Honorbound and honored to be Bonded to Mahtaliel Sedai
Last First in wotmania Chat
Slightly better than chocolate.

Love still can't be coerced.
Please Don't Eat the Newbies!

LoL. Be well, RAFOlk.
This message last edited by Joel on 20/06/2015 at 09:38:16 AM
Reply to message
Can liberals all stop their posturing about adhering to science? - 05/06/2015 12:04:13 AM 1170 Views
It's not really a difficult concept to understand, man - 05/06/2015 02:23:34 PM 600 Views
Re: It's not really a difficult concept to understand, man - 05/06/2015 09:05:03 PM 598 Views
It's so difficult to parse out your trolling sometimes - 07/06/2015 02:37:11 PM 570 Views
Some people feel like they are women, though born as men. So they take steps to live - 05/06/2015 04:47:14 PM 589 Views
I agree with you in theory - 05/06/2015 09:43:43 PM 474 Views
I think it's okay to be weirded out by it - 08/06/2015 10:28:02 PM 604 Views
gender issues aside the evidence of evolution is undeniable to the extreme - 05/06/2015 08:37:37 PM 470 Views
Well then why do scientists feel the need to make up their own fake evidence? - 05/06/2015 09:16:40 PM 516 Views
The specifics and our understanding always changes - 05/06/2015 09:50:39 PM 522 Views
"A better fit" doesn't sound much like testable hypotheses and observable data - 06/06/2015 12:38:49 AM 657 Views
Science and absolute, unquestioned fact... - 06/06/2015 11:16:10 AM 533 Views
The theory is refined that is all - 08/06/2015 07:11:40 PM 510 Views
We can find Naederthal DNA in modern humans - 08/06/2015 07:01:01 PM 465 Views
I am 3% Neanderthal! My 23andMe Test told me so!! *NM* - 08/06/2015 08:07:35 PM 299 Views
If thought about doing that - 09/06/2015 02:31:11 PM 469 Views
...I'm confused, are you claiming that no real fossils have been found? - 07/06/2015 02:41:12 PM 485 Views
And they prove what, exactly? - 07/06/2015 11:24:43 PM 593 Views
Er, well yeah, that's the point- Scientific knowledge keeps growing and challenging itself - 08/06/2015 02:58:26 PM 533 Views
It's not at all the same. - 09/06/2015 02:53:06 PM 497 Views
I would not have expected to see you adhere to a scientist position - 07/06/2015 03:06:11 AM 548 Views
I am not; I am criticizing the people who apply it inconsistently - 07/06/2015 11:14:05 PM 582 Views
Perhaps she does not believe in hell - 08/06/2015 12:55:50 PM 406 Views
can republicans stop their posturing about adhering to morality? - 08/06/2015 09:17:16 PM 508 Views
My own homosexual inclinations would not constitute hypocrisy in opposing deviant behavior - 09/06/2015 02:14:56 PM 536 Views
"… in the latter times some shall depart from the faith… speaking lies in hypocrisy…" - 15/06/2015 03:36:08 AM 555 Views
See - more liberal doublespeak - 15/06/2015 03:30:57 PM 516 Views
“Who are you calling, ‘you people’?! - 17/06/2015 10:08:32 AM 461 Views
Some other stuff - 15/06/2015 03:45:59 PM 545 Views
See what you (and the devil, of course) made me do? - 17/06/2015 10:16:35 AM 511 Views
I find this entire discussion absolutely hilarious. - 15/06/2015 04:19:31 PM 418 Views
well I am sucb a died in the wool liberal I just cant help myself - 15/06/2015 06:25:57 PM 392 Views
Yeah, you're to the Left of Trotsky. *NM* - 15/06/2015 07:31:28 PM 245 Views
...what? Attacking points is pretty much what debate IS. - 16/06/2015 04:29:05 AM 446 Views
No... - 17/06/2015 08:00:57 PM 435 Views
OK? - 18/06/2015 04:03:32 AM 463 Views
duplicate post, ignore *NM* - 18/06/2015 04:03:47 AM 325 Views
Oh, I'm sorry. - 18/06/2015 09:05:42 PM 526 Views
A thesis delayed till the SECOND paragraph is, at best, misplaced - 20/06/2015 09:37:36 AM 506 Views
Bah, damn you for good points! - 21/06/2015 09:33:49 PM 522 Views
Oh, man, been there, done that, got the T-shirt - 22/06/2015 01:26:13 AM 449 Views
Heheh, thank you for understanding. - 22/06/2015 09:23:11 PM 436 Views
Re: Oh, I'm sorry. - 20/06/2015 04:44:24 PM 565 Views
You're missing my whole issue with labeling. - 21/06/2015 09:32:36 PM 511 Views
This might be a complete non-sequitur, but... - 21/06/2015 10:38:19 PM 404 Views
I'm a hardcore lurker... - 22/06/2015 09:26:59 PM 356 Views
Cool. - 22/06/2015 10:14:45 PM 453 Views
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JFfN5pKzFU *NM* - 15/06/2015 05:01:30 PM 250 Views

Reply to Message