Active Users:439 Time:26/04/2024 09:21:01 PM
You may have missed my second paragraph starting with 'seriously, though'. Legolas Send a noteboard - 24/01/2017 09:03:34 PM

Suggesting that, you know, the first paragraph should not be taken too literally - I don't seriously expect that the Republicans will start an impeachment process.

So let's see what I actually said in this second paragraph:

'Seriously, though, for me it's not really about what scary policies will he implement, because considering everything he has shown about his campaign as well as the leadership style described by his employees, he simply doesn't have the vision, the determination or the interest to design and implement any particular policy - at most he will inspire one (and torpedo others). Obviously he has some basic ideas that he campaigned on, but just about every aspect of their implementation seems to be negotiable and to depend on the last person he talked to. To the extent that significant and lasting policy changes do occur under his presidency, they will be driven by a combination of his cabinet and the Republicans in Congress.'

Hint: it does not say anywhere that his campaign website doesn't have fleshed-out policies, nor does it compare him to Clinton. So good for you that you did all that research, but I'm not seeing the relevance to my post. Especially your count of how often each name appears.

And before you start, of course one can't expect a president to be fleshing out every policy in detail him- or herself. But there's hardly any topic other than perhaps trade policy on which Trump hasn't taken wildly diverging positions, often within the space of a few days. Sure, he's always been opposed to Obamacare, but whether and how to replace it... that time when he suddenly promised universal coverage was just the icing on the cake. And even in these few months since the election, he has already sent his nominal allies in Congress back to the drawing board several times on Obamacare and other topics, without ever indicating if there is any particular plan that he'd be willing to consistently get behind and support.

View original postThis is one of the things that are so detestable about the current state of the media and public discussion. There is much fussing and fuming about the format of the news media, and complaints about the delivery, especially on television. But the only purpose news media should serve for an intelligent and self-determined person is to alert them to current events and issues. Anyone worth talking to looks these things up for himself and makes up his own mind, so the style and format of the news doesn't matter so much. Fake news is not nearly the problem liberals who miss their news media monopoly like to pretend, because for anyone with an ounce of curiousity, the truth is out there as well. Lazy and stupid people can simply accept the media narrative, and ideologically lazy or self-satisfied people can accept the media narrative which best suits their preconceptions.

I agree with that to some extent - certainly the media is devoting far too much attention to manufactured crises, intentionally provoked scandals and people who talk about other people's policies - at the expense of reporting on those policies themselves. Fake news certainly is a problem, though, even if I can sympathize with those who feel that that term is being applied in a rather partisan way. In a democracy where every vote is worth the same, I do consider it a serious problem if large amounts of people are being misled, regardless of whether or not someone with your intellect and determination can see through it.
View original postPeople who don't like Trump can accept the media narrative selected early in his campaign, that he was not a serious candidate (because his signature issue of immigration is one the media simply refuses to discuss, except to denounce any inquiries into the subject as racism and nativism, so they prefered to dismiss rather than dissect they guy who quickly set himself apart from the pack by planting his flag on that hill), and simply keep repeating that to themselves and their fellow opponents of Trump, because there is plenty of material in the echo chamber that they feel no need to look him up and see what he has to say for themselves. Or at best, they will look over a comparison chart of the candidates, prepared by a partisan publication or web site, in the guise of a nuetral or objective list of facts.

Trump set himself apart from the pack in many ways and hardly any of those are positive except for the biggest one of all: he managed to connect with people who are fed up with regular politicians, and in a more lasting way than previous flavours of the month such as Herman Cain. He's hardly the first Republican primary candidate to make immigration the focal point of his campaign - just the first one to do so in quite that style.
View original postI disagree with many of Trump's positions, which is why I voted otherwise in the general election, and did not vote for any of the candidates in the primary (though I did vote for the delegate slate of Cruz, because I preferred the people on it to those on Kasich's or Trump's slate). But I am not so devoid of self-respect or basic honesty as to try to claim he does not have any. I would also like to think I am not so stupid as to try to claim a negative, without certain knowledge that no existant item could disprove my claim.

You haven't disproven anything I wrote - not even the tongue-in-cheek subject line and first paragraph, since those were about implementing policies, not suggesting them on his website. Of course those will be disproven soon enough - but I think most of the second and third paragraph will turn out accurate. If I'm proven wrong, so much the better.
Reply to message
Trump's Policies, or What that crazy mo'fo' gon' do next?!? - 19/01/2017 11:14:31 PM 875 Views
Interesting, but I dunno. Haven't heard from him anything I didn't like - 19/01/2017 11:38:18 PM 455 Views
Hmm, what I am fearful of? Not much..... - 20/01/2017 02:50:00 AM 469 Views
Republicans warned for 70 years a Soviet fifth column was destroying the US: Turns out they were it - 20/01/2017 02:23:06 PM 494 Views
I've missed you, Literate Moondog - 24/01/2017 12:04:17 PM 461 Views
Et tu quoque, Cannoli? - 27/02/2017 09:31:59 PM 405 Views
Implement policies? That's just crazy talk. - 20/01/2017 07:28:52 PM 417 Views
"I don't like his policies, therefore they don't exist, and he doesn't have any!" - 24/01/2017 01:04:12 PM 602 Views
You may have missed my second paragraph starting with 'seriously, though'. - 24/01/2017 09:03:34 PM 380 Views
Sessions concerns me greatly. - 20/01/2017 08:06:35 PM 446 Views
What scares is is I really have no idea what he will do. *NM* - 20/01/2017 09:17:43 PM 280 Views
But isn't that fun and exciting! *NM* - 21/01/2017 01:54:31 AM 311 Views
that is funa n exciting in Star War movie, not so much with the leader of the free world - 23/01/2017 01:18:06 PM 473 Views
So what? - 24/01/2017 01:58:34 PM 576 Views
He's a cypher - 21/01/2017 01:42:53 AM 470 Views
Fear is a tricky thing...isn't it. - 24/01/2017 05:54:52 PM 444 Views
Yeah, liberals claim to be in constant fear, while commiting all the fearsome acts! - 24/01/2017 09:31:11 PM 481 Views
Calm your liver..... - 25/01/2017 08:56:29 PM 419 Views
Why don't you calm down and stop arguing against positions I have never taken? - 27/01/2017 09:38:53 PM 523 Views
? - 30/01/2017 10:35:00 PM 487 Views
Re: ? - 07/02/2017 03:31:58 AM 518 Views
Trump is rocking it with the exec orders! - 25/01/2017 04:05:10 AM 450 Views

Reply to Message