Active Users:243 Time:06/05/2024 06:32:50 PM
Probably, but at least I'll listen Isaac Send a noteboard - 05/01/2013 08:30:48 PM
But teachers aren’t as trained as police officers! True, yet totally irrelevant. The teacher doesn’t need to be a SWAT cop or Navy SEAL. They need to be speed bumps.

Not true; they need to be SAFE speed bumps, not opening fire at any provocation or none. They need to know how to clean and maintain their weapon so it fires when required—and NO other time. Remember when you were educating Sprite about shoulder holsters and thumb breaks? Since that was how you suggested teachers prevent someone grabbing their gun, is it not logical to think any teachers carrying a gun at school should know about them?

I think the assumption that a person, any average person, is easily provoked into shooting someone is rather improbable. Those situations likely to make it more probable are typically absent from a classroom and should be absent from a professional teacher. I would be concerned about a teacher who was prone to acts of violence, used alcohol or narcotics that effected them during work hours, etc but those may all be disregarded on the grounds that we already remove people with those traits from teaching and those are things even the most stubborn unions will usually not stonewall or protect them from. Even then, I really doubt a teacher who did have a domestic violence background or was prone to using any substance that wasn't blisteringly obvious would pose much of a real world threat. Stats game, I'd still want a teacher fired who was snorting coke on work hours but I still wouldn't think it very likely they'd turn homicidal on their students.

Let's keep in mind that deliberate acts of fratricide amongst armed soldiers - mostly composed of young men who we've actively tried to make more violent and who are typically especially stressed out when armed - are exceedingly low... I wouldn't expect it to be even that high amongst teachers. So they are safe speed bumps, because three of the principle qualifications for a teacher are maturity, patience, and a big belief in learning and training and those traits are exactly the ones required to make a safe gun handler. Nothing is perfect but as a group, statistically, they're practically ideal.

Correias argument here is that his career is superfluous: Even HE does not believe it, so why should anyone else?

That's a stretch, he is asserting that most people with elementary gun handling skill represent 'better than nothing', he's hardly arguing that a random citizen handed a gun and no training represents an equal asset to a soldier or cop in a firefight, just that so long as they can fire the weapon in roughly the right direction they might get lucky and will probably at least slow the guy down while he takes cover. That's manifestly true.

Just make it so that your state’s concealed weapons laws trump the Federal Gun Free School Zones act.

No one not already convinced thinks this a slamdunk argument. I mean, seriously, make state law superior to federal law so guns become common and widespread in schools? Do you HONESTLY think people outraged by school shootings will support that?

Well you're expressing an opinion here not arguing a point, however I'd point out that the original act was struck down by SCOTUS and the revision specifically says:

does not apply to:
(ii) if the individual possessing the firearm is licensed to do so by the State in which the school zone is located or a political subdivision of the State, and the law of the State or political subdivision requires that, before an individual obtains such a license, the law enforcement authorities of the State or political subdivision verify that the individual is qualified under law to receive the license;

(iv) by an individual for use in a program approved by a school in the school zone;

(v) by an individual in accordance with a contract entered into between a school in the school zone and the individual or an employer of the individual;

Note that there are already a lot of exceptions that can be used rather easily by an existing state to say 'yeah, all right, teachers who meet X standards and wish to carry a weapon may do so'

After Virginia Tech, I started teaching college students for free as well. They were 21 year old adults who could pass a background check. Why should they have to be defenseless?

No reason at all; I fully support all such peopls having any gun they can afford. Correia is arguing against gun control by saying, "21 year olds who pass a background check and get weapons training should be able to have one." That IS gun control, and Correia is GREATLY misrepresenting gun control to suggest otherwise.

He's misrepresenting nothing, he himself states in the article that there is already a lot of gun control and he sees a need for no new ones. Personally I think it is f'd up to make pistol ownership require a different age then other guns, but then I think it is fucked up to deny anyone any right considered for adults after we've legally deemed them adults but that's a bit of a different matter. Whichever, he's not misrepresenting gun control sorts - some of them of course but not most let alone all major factions as you know. You are a very borderline gun control supporter, the others on this site express views far harsher in terms of seeking new controls than you do and I think even if they weren't the majority of self-defined gun control supporters - and I think they are - we'd still be justified as referring to them as gun control supporters. People who would like to ban a 21 year old from carrying a gun on college grounds, even with background checks and training, hardly represent a fringe minority of the aforementioned in the US. Remember, the current arguments revolve around a desire by many to increase controls versus status quo, not a big push for less regulation.

Now let us consider his series of examples:

Your list of his examples confused the hell out of me, you might want to retry and clarify or edit those.

Your response both mirros and explains my reaction to Correias article: His fellow pro-gun radicals act like IT is "a profound rebuttal" because they already agreed with him. The rest of us remain unimpressed, because Correias article is only "convincing" to those ALREADY convinced his arguments are valid.

I object to your assertion his stance is 'radical' and my own is 'radical', that's incredibly inaccurate and pointlessly offensive. Either you have a very bizarre definition of radical for this context or you are incredibly unaware of the average US citizen's POV on this. We may not be the majority but we're certainly one of the largest factions around and there certainly isn't a majority who would characterize us as radical.
The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift.
- Albert Einstein

King of Cairhien 20-7-2
Chancellor of the Landsraad, Archduke of Is'Mod
This message last edited by Isaac on 05/01/2013 at 08:31:13 PM
Reply to message
Poll: 54 percent view NRA favorably - 28/12/2012 04:23:35 AM 914 Views
Hahahaha. That is full of shit. OMG. Thanks for the laughs. *NM* - 28/12/2012 06:30:08 AM 375 Views
I have this to say about that... - 28/12/2012 07:10:52 AM 711 Views
That was rather long but probably one of the best things I've read this year - 28/12/2012 02:31:24 PM 490 Views
Excellent article by a knowledgable individual armed with facts. *NM* - 28/12/2012 04:36:23 PM 244 Views
See my response to Novo. - 28/12/2012 06:28:00 PM 577 Views
please cite the errors, manipulations, or lies. - 28/12/2012 09:30:28 PM 527 Views
I cited two in response to her, and those were just the ones I remember off the top of my head. - 28/12/2012 11:07:36 PM 665 Views
If you can't remember them, then don't claim them *NM* - 29/12/2012 03:08:08 AM 299 Views
Two just from memory is enough to substantiate my claim. - 29/12/2012 03:35:49 AM 556 Views
'Substantiate your claim'? I don't think you're lying, I just don't feel any reason to be swayed... - 29/12/2012 04:00:10 AM 454 Views
... and probably never will, but, alright, here we go: - 05/01/2013 06:53:23 PM 510 Views
Probably, but at least I'll listen - 05/01/2013 08:30:48 PM 563 Views
The 2 things you attempted to "cite" were absolute nonsense and proved nothing. - 31/12/2012 06:00:00 PM 523 Views
Was that response meant for me or Correia? - 05/01/2013 07:04:31 PM 500 Views
Great read, thanks for posting! *NM* - 28/12/2012 05:52:29 PM 248 Views
Thanks for posting that, I enjoyed it a lot - 29/12/2012 01:36:33 AM 497 Views
his premise is "there's already too many guns so why bother trying anything at all now" - 07/01/2013 06:27:20 PM 562 Views
I don't think that's his sole premise but it's also quite true - 07/01/2013 07:05:20 PM 594 Views
i think you're missing a piece of the puzzle - 07/01/2013 07:23:02 PM 513 Views
I'm not missing it, I just don't think it's wise or especially moral - 07/01/2013 09:36:05 PM 555 Views
moral has nothing to do with it, imho - 07/01/2013 11:26:00 PM 604 Views
Re: moral has nothing to do with it, imho - 08/01/2013 05:40:46 AM 480 Views
last thoughts..... - 08/01/2013 05:18:35 PM 498 Views
Well I was referring more to the timing of collecting data. - 29/12/2012 04:28:01 AM 687 Views
Is that the same Gallup that said 54% of America would vote Romney? - 28/12/2012 06:15:43 PM 602 Views
Once again data is data.....feel free to cite other polling data. *NM* - 28/12/2012 06:38:29 PM 264 Views

Reply to Message