Active Users:194 Time:19/05/2024 11:32:09 AM
"'Dialing for Dollars' is looking for me" Joel Send a noteboard - 24/06/2015 04:48:51 AM

Just a reminder Texas has given the world far more awesome than awful things (and I still refuse blame for the Bushs: That is on Connecticut alone.)

View original post
View original postthe same comments remain as relevant (or not) days, weeks or even a year later.
True enough. I'm really not going to bother with a paragraph for paragraph reply, but I'll try summarizing in a few points.

That is reasonable; I barely expected a reply after delaying mine far more than intended (very sorry.)

View original postAm I underestimating anti-semitism among the non-Muslim, non-far right European population - probably. My personal experience can't necessarily be generalized - and my city did witness some cases lately that aren't all attributable to the usual suspects.

Thanks for being gracious about that: I am embarrassed to say that until I went googling to find last years Guardian article again I was unaware of what happened in your neck of the woods, and then torn between feeling obliged to note the relevance and not coming off as if reducing peoples deaths to talking points. It still enrages me when people do that with Breivik, partly because I was just an hours drive away when it happened; two of my sister-in-laws friends were killed. Hope no one you knew was hurt in the latest sociopathic atrocity, and that the Mideast and Africa soon start looking more like the West instead of the reverse (though the tend of all three alarms me.)

View original postAmericans talking on the subject of anti-Semitism in Europe have a funny tendency of trying to pretend that they themselves somehow aren't Europeans, though. Hint: you are. Most of you can disavow anything that happened after the turn of the twentieth century; some anything after the turn of the nineteenth, or even eighteenth. The rest of our history is shared. With all your talk of "two thousand" years, you've failed to explain how, somehow, the US is so different despite having shared 90% or more of that history. Could it be that things really do change a lot faster than that and parallels to events of two millennia ago are coincidences rather than proof of eternally enduring phenomena?

We are partly and in most cases primarily European; I have Scottish, Irish and French ancestry, but also Cherokee and Choctaw: America is the Heinz 57 race. That said, I almost cited the Klans WASP bigotry when you referenced them, but you know how I hate long overly detailed posts. We have our share of anti-Semitism both from the Klan and elsewhere, but the big difference is that 1) we are such a melting pot it is easy for those never (or seldom) affected by bigotry to overlook and 2) Jews have long been a huge and prominent part of that: Before they had Israel, Jews fleeing persecution usually sought US residency (as most people fleeing persecution did then.) Even since, the average of US Jewish estimates is larger than ISRAELS Jewish population; though still only 2% of the US, that is ~40% of ALL Jews. France is next, but its Jewish population is more than an order of magnitude less. Our Jewish population is also mostly concentrated in a few areas; though that can be both good and bad, the general rule is that there is safety in numbers.

On top of all that, there is both the previously cited Prophecy of Balaam and a US notion, popular since the first British colonies, of viewing America as “New Canaan” or a Gentile or Christian Israel. It only works in a religious context, of course, but we have plenty of that. So many observant US Protestants feel a sincere and deep kinship with Jews and Israel (past and present,) often accompanied by the feeling ANY mistreatment of Jews guarantees divine wrath, and good treatment ensure that. Those people will NEVER turn on Israel, WHATEVER it does, because they consider it tantamount to suicide.

I could be wrong, but do not believe much of that applies in Europe; Jews have either been purged or returned to Israel from too many places they were once numerous. I do not believe Europeans any more prone to bigotry than anyone, but those who are have no incentive to exempt Jews.

View original postYour view on history remains seriously distorted and obsessed with seeing parallels or continuations of Biblical "History", though, and hyperbole like "two thousand years of genocide" doesn't help. I had readily admitted in my post that the Palestine nation, as it exists now, was born largely from its shared experience under the Mandate and especially in 1948, which makes several paragraphs of your reply utterly pointless - you are the one obsessed with the Romans and the name they gave to that land, not me. And the Ishmael comment was intended to illustrate the absurdity of your reasoning, it wasn't something to be commented on seriously. Though I guess that was pretty naive of me, in hindsight.

That is the thing though: Removing “historical Palestine” from an equation where it never belonged necessarily removes its NATIONAL claims to any state anywhere. It is hard to make a case for “irredentism” of a “nation” younger than many of its “citizens.” The sole truly solid claim that leaves is filial rather than national, which is fine—but also makes “Palestinians” living in Gaza, the West Bank or anywhere as ISRAELI citizens equally fine. The problem is trying that always ends badly for Israel, because the combined Jewish population of Israel and the Palestinian State is roughly equal to that of Palestinians/Arabs, and virtually none of the latter not currently living in Israel have any desire to do so, so any attempt at integration merely gives thousands of terrorists free access to all their targets.

Nationhood and its legitimacy MATTER, because everyone is entitled to a national as well as filial home. But “Palestines” rarely attested “history” is so dubious it is natural to argue that to the extent Palestinians are Arabs the national home to which they are entitled is one or more of two dozen existing Arab states, and to the exent they are non-Arab they are survivors of ancient Israel, so modern Israel is the national homeland to which they are entitled. In NO case are they entitled to a distinct “Palestinian” state neither Arab nor Israeli. The Ishmael reference is valid, however intended, but Ishmaels descendants got their nations, as did Jacobs, leaving no room for any separatist faction, whether descended from Ishmael, Isaac or both. In terms of “European colonialism,” inventing an ad hoc state atop part of a historical one dating to early Antiquity is at least as interventionist as restoring Israel, whether or not the residents prefer a separate state or integration with the state holding sovereignty over their land.

View original postAnd then for the "the Palestinians have 22 other countries to live in" - that just misses the point. What Europe owed to the Jews back in the day was not to give them a state in a part of their colonial possessions at the expense of the people already living there; it was to give them a state by making them full and equal citizens of their own European states and guaranteeing their security. I'm glad to see you find the attitude of certain Evangelical American supporters of Israel as disturbing as I do, but your own views seem just as eschatologically and Biblically based. There are plenty of peoples living in a very different place from their homeland two thousand years ago, and there's really no good reason for any of them to go back. Instead, they should be respected and accepted wherever they've ended up - politics should be based on the people who live here and now, not on ancient history. Doing otherwise just opens the door to irredentism (where should one draw the borders of this newly restored state of Israel, at its widest historical extent or its narrowest?) and gives majorities an excuse to suppress minorities who may originally have come from abroad but really have nowhere else to go (like, say, the Rohingya in Bangladesh, or the Roma in Hungary).

My view is not eschatologically based (again, whether or not one accepts Gods existence, any such being that MAY exist is fully capable and certain of accomplishing all His prophecies unaided) and only PARTLY biblically based. The bible never mentions Josephus, only vaguely (possibly) references the Diaspora and never mentions Alexandrias periodic ancient riots, let alone Europes periodic Jewish genocides. And those last are extremely relevant because Europe repeatedlyTRIED (with variable sincerity) integrating Jews as full citizens of its various states, never achieved more than brief partial success invariably wiped away by further genocide, finally culminating in the Holocaust. Ironically, Germany (partly due to its fragmented pre-Bismarck nature) and Austria (more ironically around the time of Prussias rise) had the most success, IMHO, but that also ended in the most gruesome failure. Prior to that at least repression was constant after the dawn of the Medieval period, and genocides common. So not technically 2000 years; again, Europe gets a pass for the roughly three centuries Europe was too busy struggling for its OWN survival to threaten anyone elses. But even just counting from 800 AD: Had ANY European nation found a way to enduring integrate Jews, is not certain it would have DONE SO? It is worth noting Zionism contributed; integration is impossible with people who PREFER segregation, merely objecting to its LOCATION. But the same evidence exists there: If Jews did not forget Zion after 2000 years, what chance they will do so any time soon?

To really illustrate the point: All those arguments about OWING people no nation of their own, only integration with the existing one in which they reside, that doing otherwise invites irredentism and discrimination while forcing the impossible question of drawing historically variable borders, that policy should be based on present reality rather than the vanished past: EACH of those points is at least as applicable to the Palestinian State as to Israel, except maybe the variability of historical borders: Because there was never any HISTORICAL Palestine to have any. I am continually struck by this: Apparently right of return EXPIRES after a precise but indefinite amount of time, because Isreals has even though Palestines has not: Does that mean Israel should just wait out the Palestinians until their statute of limitations expires as Israels did? Who cares that your grandfather lived here all his life; his life ended 10 years ago and now I live here, which is the present on which politics should be based.

To be clear, I am still not rejecting the Two-State Solution: It is necessary because Palestinians have demonstrated (with help) inability to peacefully coexist as full Israeli citizens just as Israel demonstrated (with help) the same ability in Europe. The sole viable solution remains the same: A separate sovereign state; a kind of international segregation so most of each nations citizens do not see the others often enough to be tempted to genocide. But to the matter of each nations LEGITIMACY rather than NECESSITY: European colonialists UNDOING destruction of a state, so it can house its ancestral people since they want European citizenship no more than Europe is willing to give it, is at LEAST as valid as European colonialists CREATING an ad hoc state (on top of the one they destroyed) and declaring citizens of another ITS new citizens while the citizens of the original state in the area remain stateLESS.

View original postIt seems, somewhat surprisingly, that I'm not only more positive about Palestinians than you are, but also more positive about Israel which, after all, is a pretty impressive country in my book, even if I don't think its original foundation was very fair to the local population.

You have more faith in both, certainly. I would love to see the Palestine-Israel conflict obviated by all Palestinians peacefully integrating into full Israeli citizenship—but it’ll happen about the same time Israelis integrate with Europe to the same degree and on the same basis.

View original postAnd finally, I'm sorry, but Haman was not an "Arab" from what I can tell, he was an Amalekite. Though, amusingly, looking that up on Wikipedia will tell you that the word "Amalekite" has been used to refer to people as varied as the Armenians, Hitler, the Israeli far right, the Israeli secular left, Zionists in general, and finally, yes, also Palestinians. I think at this point it's fairly safe to say it's become rather meaningless...

That is what I get for having seen South Park more recently than I read Esther. So that moots the point about Purim, but not the Tanakhs extant statement Sixth Century BC “Palestinians” (i.e. imported Assyrians and assimilated Jews) regularly attacked returning Israels while sending libelous letters to their shared king, or the Gospel claim a First Century “Palestinian” (i.e. Samaritan) told Christ their shared ancestor Jacob built a well but the Jews forbid them to use it. Whether or not one accepts either document as authentic history, neither was WRITTEN any later than the Second Century, so Israeli/Palestinian violence extends back at LEAST 1800 years before 1948. Another reason the Two-State solution is the SOLE VIABLE one, but since both “Palestinians” were referenced as subjects of an occupying foreign power, well, colonialism… that is how every non-Hebrew “Palestinian” GOT THERE IN THE FIRST PLACE.

Honorbound and honored to be Bonded to Mahtaliel Sedai
Last First in wotmania Chat
Slightly better than chocolate.

Love still can't be coerced.
Please Don't Eat the Newbies!

LoL. Be well, RAFOlk.
Reply to message
Those morons in Gaza (i.e., Hamas) are at it again - - 18/07/2014 04:02:57 PM 1097 Views
If by awesome you mean execrable, then yes, you're right. - 18/07/2014 11:45:53 PM 602 Views
Sounds like someone doesn't like jews! - 19/07/2014 04:24:41 AM 543 Views
It's funny you should say that. - 19/07/2014 09:36:57 AM 616 Views
your criticism would be better applied to Palestine supporters - 19/07/2014 11:50:37 AM 522 Views
My criticism IS also applied to Palestine supporters. It's not an either/or deal. - 19/07/2014 09:03:51 PM 546 Views
Agreed on that much, certainly. - 23/07/2014 03:05:22 AM 670 Views
Well, look who's back in the game! - 23/07/2014 07:44:45 PM 767 Views
Haltingly.... - 07/08/2014 03:41:06 AM 597 Views
The only good thing about ancient interminable wars is that--more-- - 13/06/2015 11:40:48 PM 452 Views
Oh lord. - 22/06/2015 10:08:22 PM 524 Views
"'Dialing for Dollars' is looking for me" - 24/06/2015 04:48:51 AM 593 Views
At the risk of prompting another long ramble, I've no idea what that reference is to. - 24/06/2015 10:39:42 PM 486 Views
"Oh, Lord, won't you buy me a Mercedes-Benz?!" - 26/06/2015 12:41:48 PM 456 Views
I'm going to try to shorten and summarize this a bit... - 28/06/2015 11:21:28 PM 799 Views
I couldn't help but overhear... - 19/07/2014 01:13:01 PM 595 Views
Good, I was hoping you'd drop by! - 19/07/2014 08:33:44 PM 705 Views
I strongly beg to differ with your position re: Hamas - 26/07/2014 04:25:54 PM 470 Views
Sorry, I don't see that. - 26/07/2014 08:57:08 PM 553 Views
I guess if you believe the lies of Hamas your position makes sense. - 27/07/2014 03:20:03 PM 499 Views
+1 - 27/07/2014 04:00:05 PM 575 Views
I certainly don't believe everything they say, no. - 27/07/2014 06:43:51 PM 584 Views
the carrot and stick is somewhat apt, although israel should have given way more carrots to date - 22/07/2014 08:57:13 PM 602 Views
So Israel should back the least radical Palestinian faction & construct Palestinian infrastructure? - 23/07/2014 04:51:19 AM 564 Views
yes - 23/07/2014 05:04:58 PM 725 Views
I pretty much agree with everything you said. - 24/07/2014 09:46:22 AM 684 Views
Why do you hate America? - 23/07/2014 02:29:24 AM 571 Views
Bottom line - stop lobbing missles into Israel and the problem is solved. - 28/07/2014 03:35:46 AM 490 Views
It's a circle of violence. Both sides are the villian. - 31/07/2014 03:50:52 AM 600 Views

Reply to Message