Active Users:171 Time:19/05/2024 09:15:58 AM
At the risk of prompting another long ramble, I've no idea what that reference is to. Legolas Send a noteboard - 24/06/2015 10:39:42 PM

Edit: On a completely unrelated note and just out of curiosity, are you back in the US? Or just insomniac, to be posting posts that long at those hours?

View original postJust a reminder Texas has given the world far more awesome than awful things (and I still refuse blame for the Bushs: That is on Connecticut alone.)

It also seems to be the only state besides maybe Hawaii whose flag isn't utterly hilarious (don't mind me, I just read a Washington Post blog post making fun of all American state flags).
View original postThanks for being gracious about that: I am embarrassed to say that until I went googling to find last years Guardian article again I was unaware of what happened in your neck of the woods, and then torn between feeling obliged to note the relevance and not coming off as if reducing peoples deaths to talking points. It still enrages me when people do that with Breivik, partly because I was just an hours drive away when it happened; two of my sister-in-laws friends were killed. Hope no one you knew was hurt in the latest sociopathic atrocity, and that the Mideast and Africa soon start looking more like the West instead of the reverse (though the tend of all three alarms me.)

No one I know, no, but indeed, Belgium's had rather its share of terrorist scares these past few years... and the highest per capita number of people who ran off to join ISIS, which doesn't exactly bode well for the future either. Sorry to hear Breivik hit so close to home - certainly in a league of its own, that.
View original postWe are partly and in most cases primarily European; I have Scottish, Irish and French ancestry, but also Cherokee and Choctaw: America is the Heinz 57 race. That said, I almost cited the Klans WASP bigotry when you referenced them, but you know how I hate long overly detailed posts. We have our share of anti-Semitism both from the Klan and elsewhere, but the big difference is that 1) we are such a melting pot it is easy for those never (or seldom) affected by bigotry to overlook and 2) Jews have long been a huge and prominent part of that: Before they had Israel, Jews fleeing persecution usually sought US residency (as most people fleeing persecution did then.) Even since, the average of US Jewish estimates is larger than ISRAELS Jewish population; though still only 2% of the US, that is ~40% of ALL Jews. France is next, but its Jewish population is more than an order of magnitude less. Our Jewish population is also mostly concentrated in a few areas; though that can be both good and bad, the general rule is that there is safety in numbers.

That wasn't precisely what I meant actually - despite the Klan and neo-Nazis, I won't dispute that anti-Semitism has been a much smaller issue in the history of the USA than in Europe over the same period. What I was getting at, is that if you're looking at two thousand years of history, as you insist on doing, the two hundred odd years that the USA is a separate place from Europe are pretty meaningless - and if you go back further, things like medieval pogroms are as much a part of most Americans' history as a European's.
View original postI could be wrong, but do not believe much of that applies in Europe; Jews have either been purged or returned to Israel from too many places they were once numerous. I do not believe Europeans any more prone to bigotry than anyone, but those who are have no incentive to exempt Jews.

Agreed.
View original postThat is the thing though: Removing “historical Palestine” from an equation where it never belonged necessarily removes its NATIONAL claims to any state anywhere. It is hard to make a case for “irredentism” of a “nation” younger than many of its “citizens.” The sole truly solid claim that leaves is filial rather than national, which is fine—but also makes “Palestinians” living in Gaza, the West Bank or anywhere as ISRAELI citizens equally fine. The problem is trying that always ends badly for Israel, because the combined Jewish population of Israel and the Palestinian State is roughly equal to that of Palestinians/Arabs, and virtually none of the latter not currently living in Israel have any desire to do so, so any attempt at integration merely gives thousands of terrorists free access to all their targets.

Well, I agree in the sense that I don't think the Palestinians should necessarily have a separate state - I have no objection in principle to a binational state, if that turns out to be more practical than the alternative. I disagree in the sense that I am indeed convinced the Palestinians are a separate Arab nation now, regardless of what they were four generations ago, and that "solving" the problem by e.g. just giving the West Bank to Jordan and the Gaza Strip to Egypt wouldn't work (even if either country was at all interested). The other Arab nations are also quite separate, by the way, even if they all do their best to keep writing the same language (speaking, not so much). Some of them are very nearly as hostile to each other as they are to Israel (I do a fair bit of business with Algeria - if you're smart you'll never mention either Morocco or Egypt to an Algerian, though in fairness that was nothing compared to the spectacle that we were treated to when accidentally delivering goods in a container displaying a David's star). Pan-Arabism used to be a big thing for a while, and it still has its adherents, but a clear minority. A place like Morocco has been politically and culturally separate from most of the rest of the Arab world for most of the last millennium - much longer than the USA has been separate from Europe.

View original postMy view is not eschatologically based (again, whether or not one accepts Gods existence, any such being that MAY exist is fully capable and certain of accomplishing all His prophecies unaided) and only PARTLY biblically based. The bible never mentions Josephus, only vaguely (possibly) references the Diaspora and never mentions Alexandrias periodic ancient riots, let alone Europes periodic Jewish genocides. And those last are extremely relevant because Europe repeatedlyTRIED (with variable sincerity) integrating Jews as full citizens of its various states, never achieved more than brief partial success invariably wiped away by further genocide, finally culminating in the Holocaust. Ironically, Germany (partly due to its fragmented pre-Bismarck nature) and Austria (more ironically around the time of Prussias rise) had the most success, IMHO, but that also ended in the most gruesome failure. Prior to that at least repression was constant after the dawn of the Medieval period, and genocides common. So not technically 2000 years; again, Europe gets a pass for the roughly three centuries Europe was too busy struggling for its OWN survival to threaten anyone elses. But even just counting from 800 AD: Had ANY European nation found a way to enduring integrate Jews, is not certain it would have DONE SO? It is worth noting Zionism contributed; integration is impossible with people who PREFER segregation, merely objecting to its LOCATION. But the same evidence exists there: If Jews did not forget Zion after 2000 years, what chance they will do so any time soon?

Not much of that is really wrong, it's just over-generalized. Examples like the Khazar empire, the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth, the Caliphate of al-Andalus and, more debatably, the Osman Empire all show that Jews could thrive in Europe under the right circumstances - and if the states in question had survived, their thriving Jewish communities would have too.

I'm actually reminded of your earlier comment - that Europeans historically have pretty much sucked at dealing with any kind of minority that wouldn't or couldn't blend in, it just so happens that for most of that history there weren't that many of those except Jews. And then of course the Christian anti-semitism on top of that.

View original postTo really illustrate the point: All those arguments about OWING people no nation of their own, only integration with the existing one in which they reside, that doing otherwise invites irredentism and discrimination while forcing the impossible question of drawing historically variable borders, that policy should be based on present reality rather than the vanished past: EACH of those points is at least as applicable to the Palestinian State as to Israel, except maybe the variability of historical borders: Because there was never any HISTORICAL Palestine to have any. I am continually struck by this: Apparently right of return EXPIRES after a precise but indefinite amount of time, because Isreals has even though Palestines has not: Does that mean Israel should just wait out the Palestinians until their statute of limitations expires as Israels did? Who cares that your grandfather lived here all his life; his life ended 10 years ago and now I live here, which is the present on which politics should be based.

Yes, "a precise but indefinite amount of time" sounds about right. How long that should be depends on many things, but mostly just on the attitude of the refugees and their new host countries. I was thinking about it this morning and struck by the fact that besides the Palestinians, there are at least two other cases of much larger populations being permanently displaced, all in a period of less than three years in 1945-1948: the Germans of Silesia, the Baltics, the Sudetenland etc., and the Indian Muslims displaced to Pakistan (as well as Hindus displaced to India). In both cases, it became obvious in a matter of a few decades at most that there was no question of going back, and nobody is seriously saying otherwise now. Not that that justifies the initial expulsions in any way (both of which involved death tolls that were many times higher than the entire Israeli-Palestinian/Arab conflict, while we're at it - see, your tendency of rambling is contagious!).

As you can tell, I'm really a pragmatist at heart about this. It may not seem that way now, but there were times back in 1949 after the armistice when real peace between Israel and its neighbours didn't seem that far off - and if Israel had taken back a small portion of the refugees then as part of comprehensive peace, with the rest resettled for good in their new homes, nobody would be talking about the whole thing anymore now. You could argue that Israel's victory at the time was either too complete, or insufficiently so; too easy in the end to make them willing to make big territorial concessions for peace, but not overwhelming enough to make the Arab "brother" nations accept the Palestinian refugees as permanently adopted citizens rather than annoying temporary houseguests. Same with all other conflicts after that.

This message last edited by Legolas on 24/06/2015 at 10:41:05 PM
Reply to message
Those morons in Gaza (i.e., Hamas) are at it again - - 18/07/2014 04:02:57 PM 1096 Views
If by awesome you mean execrable, then yes, you're right. - 18/07/2014 11:45:53 PM 601 Views
Sounds like someone doesn't like jews! - 19/07/2014 04:24:41 AM 542 Views
It's funny you should say that. - 19/07/2014 09:36:57 AM 616 Views
your criticism would be better applied to Palestine supporters - 19/07/2014 11:50:37 AM 521 Views
My criticism IS also applied to Palestine supporters. It's not an either/or deal. - 19/07/2014 09:03:51 PM 546 Views
Agreed on that much, certainly. - 23/07/2014 03:05:22 AM 670 Views
Well, look who's back in the game! - 23/07/2014 07:44:45 PM 766 Views
Haltingly.... - 07/08/2014 03:41:06 AM 597 Views
The only good thing about ancient interminable wars is that--more-- - 13/06/2015 11:40:48 PM 451 Views
Oh lord. - 22/06/2015 10:08:22 PM 524 Views
"'Dialing for Dollars' is looking for me" - 24/06/2015 04:48:51 AM 592 Views
At the risk of prompting another long ramble, I've no idea what that reference is to. - 24/06/2015 10:39:42 PM 486 Views
"Oh, Lord, won't you buy me a Mercedes-Benz?!" - 26/06/2015 12:41:48 PM 455 Views
I'm going to try to shorten and summarize this a bit... - 28/06/2015 11:21:28 PM 798 Views
I couldn't help but overhear... - 19/07/2014 01:13:01 PM 595 Views
Good, I was hoping you'd drop by! - 19/07/2014 08:33:44 PM 704 Views
I strongly beg to differ with your position re: Hamas - 26/07/2014 04:25:54 PM 469 Views
Sorry, I don't see that. - 26/07/2014 08:57:08 PM 553 Views
I guess if you believe the lies of Hamas your position makes sense. - 27/07/2014 03:20:03 PM 499 Views
+1 - 27/07/2014 04:00:05 PM 574 Views
I certainly don't believe everything they say, no. - 27/07/2014 06:43:51 PM 583 Views
the carrot and stick is somewhat apt, although israel should have given way more carrots to date - 22/07/2014 08:57:13 PM 601 Views
So Israel should back the least radical Palestinian faction & construct Palestinian infrastructure? - 23/07/2014 04:51:19 AM 564 Views
yes - 23/07/2014 05:04:58 PM 724 Views
I pretty much agree with everything you said. - 24/07/2014 09:46:22 AM 683 Views
Why do you hate America? - 23/07/2014 02:29:24 AM 571 Views
Bottom line - stop lobbing missles into Israel and the problem is solved. - 28/07/2014 03:35:46 AM 488 Views
It's a circle of violence. Both sides are the villian. - 31/07/2014 03:50:52 AM 599 Views

Reply to Message