Active Users:197 Time:19/04/2024 01:56:32 PM
Re: The article both raises good points and is full of shit DomA Send a noteboard - 06/02/2012 02:07:01 AM
That may be so, but as I stated above, from what I can tell the numbers may not be as big as 10, 20 years ago, but movie theaters are still doing okay, thankfully.

That's not nearly as true as you think.

In our market, for example, the number of screens has decreased massively. All the theaters with 4-5 screens are long gone. 30 years ago, there used to be 20 of those, nowadays there are but two megaplexes remaining downtown, with 10-12 screens each (some of which are fairly small rooms).

Yes, they are still packed and popular, but you have to consider they are far less screens in the market, and to be profitable, theaters have often to buy very expensive, ideally located real estate, to invest massively in comfort and to stay technically up to date, and they had to increase the prices astronomically (when I was a kid, it costs 8 dollars on friday, it costs 18$ nowadays. Their cost of doing business are massively higher than they used to be, even in actualized money. There's the same phenomenon outside big cities, where a lot of small town cinemas have closed (there was a time when a good sized village or really small town would have a one or two screen cinema) and all that remain are regional megaplexes. Drive-ins have all but vanished. The total number of screens in the province has severely decreased. As far as I know this is not quite a regional phenomenon, but pretty much reflects what has happened in the same timeframe in the US as well.

There also used to be a time when selling popcorn and fountain soft drinks was enough of an extra income, nowadays to survive most theaters must secure lucrative deals with fast food franchises to meet ends, counters that (at least here) must sell their products for much higher prices than you'd get for the same stuff at their restaurants (a Big Mac is something like twice the price bought at the theater, fountain soft drinks go for 3-4$, they cost barely nothing to make and they're mass-packaged containers). Going to the theater is no longer an activity that nearly everybody do, partly because it's just too expensive. There's an extremely marked loss of popularity in the family market, notably, same for couple with children (tickets+parking+food+babysitter= one hell of an expensive evening. Even if you bring two kids, it's often a 100$ or more evening, not the sort of things many families can afford on a regular basis, the way my middle-class occasionally short on cash for leisure family did all my youth. We rarely missed a week, sometimes some of us went twice or three times!) And contrary to you, I know a lot of people who find the viewing conditions often execrable, because of impolite/disrespectful people, cell phones, and horrid food odors and sounds. Personally I stopped going to theaters regularly the day they started allowing tacos and MacDonald and what not in the screening rooms. Crunch, crunch, crunch, chatter, chatter, chatter, cell phone, chatter, chatter, chatter, some bloody idiot who opens his phone to text in the middle of the movie, and all these odors. Jeez, it's the modern version of the "unwashed masses". Most time I go to the theater now it's for art-house movies, at facilities where no food is allowed and you can expect a respectful audience of silent cinephiles, and commercial cinema I watch mostly from home, not from a tiny laptop, but in good conditions on a big HD screen with good audio, even if occasionally (and it's thanks to lack of availability or too high pricing I don't do it more) when it's streamed from my laptop to the TV. I miss the big screen for some productions (not all, by a long shot), but the rest of the experience not so much!

There is a very loyal group of avid moviegoers that still see a lot of movies in theaters - people like you, cinephiles or lovers of blockbusters alike who stick to the big audience/big screen - yes, but there was a time not so long gone where most people in several age groups went to see movies on a regular basis.... That used to be my parents' idea of an affordable, regular dates or family outing (all our youth it was that). They go strictly to half-priced afternoon showings nowadays, and not nearly as often as before. Theater-going has decreased massively in popularity in the last decades, not only that but it's decreased much faster than other activities, some of which like restaurants have rather seen a huge increase (so it's not just that people are too lazy to leave home, they choose to spend their money on other venues and to watch more cinema from home. Theaters are aware of this. Some chains are even trying a new avenue of "high end"/complete experience cinema. A smaller number of screens than megaplexes, a bit more expensive tickets, with top notch technology and screening conditions, without food allowed in the rooms, and rather than crappy fast food franchises and videogames all around they have cafés, dining room, quiet bars, fancy shops. Their aim is to bring the older moviegoers back to see blockbusters.

Perhaps you're fooled by the fact at some point (10, 15 years ago, I wouldn't know for sure and would have to ask friends/colleagues - IRRC it corresponded a bit to the peak of popularity of video rentals) the decline in attendance reached a kind of plateau and has stabilized. It's got some boost from 3D in recent years, but it had been quite some time since it enjoyed an increase.

Honestly, I'm 42, hang with people between 25 and 50, and my social milieu is a pretty social one (advertising/movie-tv production) with many people going out on regular basis. I know barely anyone in my extended social circle who still goes to theaters to see movies anymore on anything close to a regular basis. A few times a year is the norm, for many it's never, or just at non-commercial (ie: art-house cinema venues) theaters.

As for box office numbers, don't be fooled. As you know I'm sure those numbers are merely revenues and don't tell much about the popularity of movies at the BO. Tickets are massively expensive nowadays, so of course revenues keep increasing. Movies from the time the ticket cost 10 cents, a dollar, five dollars or even 10 dollars have zero chance to keep their high ranking. This is further twisted by the fact the numbers represent revenues, not profits. Not the studios', not the theaters'. US movies are insanely expensive nowadays and often even more money is put into advertising them. The real numbers are the yearly profits made by studios in actualized dollar, that's all. The whole industry isn't going nearly as well as it used to, and the recent US economy has taken a new toll (for working in the field, I know this first hand - big cuts, closed facilities, reduced salaries, early retirements and what not. Hollywood had started more and more to go abroad for part of the processes, either filming or post-production to cut its costs (the movie unions in the US are... special), though the bad dollar has nicked this in the bud quite a bit, at least in Canada. A few years ago, not only the services were much cheaper but the dollar was worth .65 US$, it's been around parity for two years now - not as attractive. This was enough of a concern/problem for California that the state took several measures to discourage the studios from sending business abroad, which worked for a while, though there seems to be an increase again, in part because a lot of producers/directors have developped a taste for working without the conditions imposed by the US unions.). If the BO model comptabilized entries at theaters rather than the money generated, it's not Avatar or even Titanic you'd see at the top of the list of the most popular movies. Not quite. You'd see a few titles from the Golden Age there, and movies from the period before the decline of theaters. Don't forget Hollywood has a lot of losses each year from overproducing, from flops and spend a significant amount of money buying rights or putting in development projects that never see the light of day and generate any profit (which is why it's really the profits of studios, and excluding sales of derivative products, revenues from theme parks as well as revenues from the home market that really gives the real picture of the health of the theater business, and it's not doing as well as you imply it does, not in a great deal of markets worlwide anyway).
This message last edited by DomA on 06/02/2012 at 02:31:10 AM
Reply to message
You will never kill piracy, and piracy will never kill you - 05/02/2012 06:56:57 PM 1103 Views
Pretty much - 05/02/2012 08:39:16 PM 322 Views
The article both raises good points and is full of shit - 05/02/2012 11:36:25 PM 593 Views
Re: The article both raises good points and is full of shit - 06/02/2012 02:07:01 AM 491 Views
Re: The article both raises good points and is full of shit - 06/02/2012 02:11:38 AM 520 Views
Then it really seems to differ between our countries - 06/02/2012 10:52:39 AM 463 Views
What are your ticket prices? *NM* - 06/02/2012 12:53:04 PM 203 Views
are those theaters all hollywood movies or from european studios? - 06/02/2012 03:01:37 PM 515 Views
Both, basically - 06/02/2012 04:55:36 PM 517 Views
I just want to comment on a couple things. I feel like you're a little bit behind the times. - 06/02/2012 05:23:40 AM 588 Views
Disagree. *NM* - 06/02/2012 09:38:56 AM 348 Views
Feel like explaining? *NM* - 06/02/2012 03:25:11 PM 179 Views
Well, call me old-fashioned but I think that'll be my preference for a while now. - 06/02/2012 10:36:41 AM 454 Views
It's not just a matter of taste when one technology is demonstrably superior. - 06/02/2012 04:04:27 PM 470 Views
Re: It's not just a matter of taste when one technology is demonstrably superior. - 06/02/2012 04:27:09 PM 354 Views
It's rare, I'll admit. - 06/02/2012 06:19:20 PM 342 Views
My age is gonna show even more in the next reply, but here we go - 06/02/2012 06:25:09 PM 457 Views
Re: My age is gonna show even more in the next reply, but here we go - 06/02/2012 08:13:48 PM 491 Views
I'll give you a hint. - 13/02/2012 03:31:56 PM 586 Views
Re: I'll give you a hint. - 14/02/2012 01:52:50 AM 392 Views
yeah, cinemas here aren't doing so well - 06/02/2012 01:33:06 PM 413 Views
That subject line well encapsulates this whole debate, IMHO. - 07/02/2012 07:52:22 PM 444 Views
That pretty much echoes my opinion on the subject - 06/02/2012 12:56:49 AM 501 Views
Holy text-wall, Batman! - 06/02/2012 12:49:28 PM 400 Views
I did not ask for alternative LAWS, Obama did; I merely quoted him, and this article mentions no law - 07/02/2012 04:50:14 AM 524 Views
you're confusing the issue - 07/02/2012 06:22:30 AM 391 Views
No, I am clarifying the issue. - 07/02/2012 06:54:40 AM 511 Views
again, you are taking the wrong approach - 07/02/2012 03:57:03 PM 489 Views
I disagree, and there are factual errors in your statements. - 07/02/2012 07:36:16 PM 467 Views
actually, there are not - 08/02/2012 04:15:09 AM 376 Views
Yeah, actually there are. - 09/02/2012 01:53:02 AM 483 Views
Re: No, I am clarifying the issue. - 07/02/2012 07:52:42 PM 438 Views
It is not the same as taping an album for a friend. - 09/02/2012 01:18:42 AM 484 Views
Re: It is not the same as taping an album for a friend. - 09/02/2012 10:39:05 PM 383 Views
Re: It is not the same as taping an album for a friend. - 12/02/2012 12:04:57 AM 471 Views

Reply to Message