Active Users:313 Time:25/04/2024 09:32:29 PM
Technically, the first point is true, but I disagree the distinction is important in terms of piracy Joel Send a noteboard - 12/02/2012 01:09:01 AM
Yeah, I get that: They make their profit off ads which they can sell because of "having one of the top visited sites on the internet," which is true solely due to disseminating stolen intellectual property to people not forced to pay for it. They are still making a profit distributing stolen property, just not from the people receiving it.

This is false. Pirate Bay does not disseminate or distribute stolen property at all. The only things distributed by Pirate Bay are .torrent files, very small data files that provide links and hash information that allow you to download the actual file from another user or group of users. No copyrighted information is ever transferred directly from Pirate Bay.

That is an important distinction. Making bombs and killing people is illegal, but you can still get books that explain how to do so. Pirating copyrighted material is generally believed to be illegal, but if you're ok with that, the Pirate Bay website will direct you in where to get them.

Yeah, you can make online videos on making bombs, too, if you do not mind US Hellfires blowing you to hamburger: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anwar_al-Awlaki

The distinction between hosting copyrighted material for illegal downloading and "merely" linking to place that do is important ONLY because laws against the former do not prohibit the latter. A primary aim of SO/PIPA is to close that loophole, which is necessary; where SO/PIPA err is in casting too wide a net, including unwitting or even third party violations and eliminating safe harbor protection. Shutting down Pirate Bay for linking to copyrighted material for illegal download is only right; shutting down RAFO because I link to a Huff Post article is going too far, especially if it happens before Ben even knows I posted the link.

I love a good analogy, but the one with books on bomb making instructions is inapplicable. The issue is not sites with links to INSTRUCTION ON HOW to commit illegal acts, but sites links that is an illegal act to even click. Yes, search engines do that, too—if prompted; they are not set up for that purpose and do not volunteer the links. Safe harbor provisions would protect them, regardless, an example of why those are vital, but disabling US connections to foreign pirate sites would obviate even that need. Comparing that to the Great Firewall of China is hyperbolic alarmism everyone recognizes as such; it does not convince anyone of anything except that the people making the comparison are uncredible and wildly biased.

Time after time people breaking the law admit they would not break the law if they could get what they want without breaking the law? I already knew that. Paying for one product does not make stealing another any less theft, but I am not alleging theft against people downloading stolen intellectual property, rather, against the people uploading and hosting it. I believe if you review my posts on the subject you will find those are the people I contend should be targeted, exclusively.

Because torrents are the most popular method of online piracy, those two groups of people are virtually identical. Someone has a file and offers a torrent of it, others begin to download it. While downloading, those new users begin supplying the data to still others, and so on. Unless they deactivate uploading entirely (which usually carries downloading penalties as well), anyone "downloading stolen intellectual property" is also "uploading and hosting it". Dedicated hosting sites like Megaupload are few and far between, relics of an earlier era.

They may be one and the same, but only the uploading is really problematic. It is a non-issue for licit downloading; when I recently paid for a download of a legal copy of Baldur's Gate I&II (since my decade old store bought copies are somewhere in my house in TX 7000 miles from here) I did not facilitate hundreds of illegal downloads around the world, because the third party site was licensed to sell the game and does not participate in piracy. Had it been a site that DOES pirate, and if my downloading had therefore not only been illegal itself but facilitated other such downloads, it would be a different story, but its moral would would be "do not assist pirate sites with making money off giving away other peoples intellectual property."

Downloading stolen media IS a crime (even though I would not make it one, provided no money is involved,) but the only law worth enforcing would be against making money off such downloads and/or assisting others in doing so. If illegal downloads are impossible without doing that, too bad; while I would not criminalize downloading other peoples intellectual property if no money is involved, even I do not consider it some kind of "right" that merits protection. Even if it WERE, the extent of such a right would still end at the point it infringed on that of another, which aiding people stealing from them certainly does. So find a way to (illegally) download without also (illegally) uploading, or do not (illegally) download at all.

Yes, when I say, "probably," I am speculating, just as Big Media is when projecting profits they would have made if people were not pirating, or others when they project how much Big Media accommodation would reduce piracy. The difference is I admitted I was speculating rather than claiming what would happen in a hypothetical situation to be fact. No, I cannot prove a hypothetical negative, but the burden of proof for other peoples hypothetical situations is not mine.

Yes, anyone can speculate. Personally, I believe that not only do media companies not lose money from piracy, they actually gain from it. More people having access to a product means more chance to get more people more interested about it, and some of those people may turn out to be paying customers. It's counter-intuitive, but there is evidence to support it. The most heavily pirated movies and games are also the most profitable. Always.

Sounds like you put the cart before the horse: Does it not make more sense to say the most profitable games are always the most heavily pirated? Since the most profitable games are the ones with the highest demand and/or price tag, making them natural piracy targets? Saying the opposite is like saying, "Francis Drake actually HELPED Spain, because pirating their shipping made them more money from American gold and silver." Well, Elizabeth II knighted him for "helping" Englands mortal foe anyway. ;) How much piracy hurts or helps legitimate sales is only an educated guess (at best,) but we are still back to "Big Media is only guessing at how much piracy costs them, because we cannot know their sales without piracy—but here is what those sales would be anyway and, look piracy actually HELPS!" Pick a horse and ride it.

Yeah, see, it is only extortion when you have a way to coerce compliance; people who do not like Big Medias terms are free to tell them to go to Hell without suffering anything. Unless one considers "loss of access to Big Medias intellectual property" a loss, in which case expecting they be paid for that access is entirely reasonable. We are not talking about food, shelter, medical care, education or some vital sustenance. We are talking about feature films, something I have never had any difficulty waiting to come to network television. In the case of streams vs. DVDs, my guess (and, yes, that is all it is) is that Big Media decided renting DVDs they can copy protect was one thing, but sending out streams they cannot copy protect quite another.

Well sure, if people don't like the current business model, they could decide not to partake in any of the media offerings. That's usually what I do, in fact. It's not the only option though. People can also decide that they'd rather just get the stuff for free, and many do. SOPA/PIPA wouldn't change that. In fact, despite your constant claim that we need new legislation on the topic, no law could change it. It simply can't be done without blocking access to the entire internet, and not even our government is stupid enough to do that.

Yes, if people refuse to pay the price someone asks for their property OR do without it they can simply steal it, but it is illegal and they are subject to prosecution.

Meanwhile, new laws could greatly curtail that for intellectual property, there is just no need to swoop up legal and/or harmless activity into the bargain, let alone create a quick and easy way to remove sites one dislikes and subject their users and operators to prosecution. We can block access to proven pirate sites and prosecute their operators where we have jurisdiction; we can do the same to the advetisers sponsoring them. That will not "break the internet," not that internet access is a constitutional right to begin (though the UN laughably decided recently it is a human right; one can only pity the billions of humans forced to subsist without it prior to my birth. :P) We just should not also target anyone who has ever knowingly or otherwise traded a single email with operators of pirate sites, or allow Freepers to shut down Kos (or vice versa) by simply posting a link to copyrighted material and reporting it to the copyright holder. We certainly should not allow some random Freeper/Kos user to shut down the opposing site by simply CLAIMING it posted unspecified copyrighted material without permission.

Meh, I wash my hands of it; rational netizens will do as requested and submit the requested suggestions of how a rationale new anti-piracy law will look. Hopefully there will be more than a handful, because you will have less luck convincing Congress no new law is needed than you did with me. Once again, if the only legislation they have to choose is the one Big Media singlehandedly wrote, it will inevitably pass by default, likely by Christmas. Burying our heads in the sand or complaining about its needlessness and excesses will not change that. Someone must make the case to Congress for an alternative, because they will enact SOMETHING in the end. Stop pointlessly denying that and decide what you want that "something" to be.
Honorbound and honored to be Bonded to Mahtaliel Sedai
Last First in wotmania Chat
Slightly better than chocolate.

Love still can't be coerced.
Please Don't Eat the Newbies!

LoL. Be well, RAFOlk.
Reply to message
You will never kill piracy, and piracy will never kill you - 05/02/2012 06:56:57 PM 1105 Views
Pretty much - 05/02/2012 08:39:16 PM 322 Views
The article both raises good points and is full of shit - 05/02/2012 11:36:25 PM 593 Views
Re: The article both raises good points and is full of shit - 06/02/2012 02:07:01 AM 491 Views
Re: The article both raises good points and is full of shit - 06/02/2012 02:11:38 AM 520 Views
Then it really seems to differ between our countries - 06/02/2012 10:52:39 AM 463 Views
What are your ticket prices? *NM* - 06/02/2012 12:53:04 PM 203 Views
are those theaters all hollywood movies or from european studios? - 06/02/2012 03:01:37 PM 517 Views
Both, basically - 06/02/2012 04:55:36 PM 518 Views
I just want to comment on a couple things. I feel like you're a little bit behind the times. - 06/02/2012 05:23:40 AM 588 Views
Disagree. *NM* - 06/02/2012 09:38:56 AM 349 Views
Feel like explaining? *NM* - 06/02/2012 03:25:11 PM 179 Views
Well, call me old-fashioned but I think that'll be my preference for a while now. - 06/02/2012 10:36:41 AM 454 Views
It's not just a matter of taste when one technology is demonstrably superior. - 06/02/2012 04:04:27 PM 471 Views
Re: It's not just a matter of taste when one technology is demonstrably superior. - 06/02/2012 04:27:09 PM 355 Views
It's rare, I'll admit. - 06/02/2012 06:19:20 PM 344 Views
My age is gonna show even more in the next reply, but here we go - 06/02/2012 06:25:09 PM 457 Views
Re: My age is gonna show even more in the next reply, but here we go - 06/02/2012 08:13:48 PM 491 Views
I'll give you a hint. - 13/02/2012 03:31:56 PM 588 Views
Re: I'll give you a hint. - 14/02/2012 01:52:50 AM 392 Views
yeah, cinemas here aren't doing so well - 06/02/2012 01:33:06 PM 413 Views
That subject line well encapsulates this whole debate, IMHO. - 07/02/2012 07:52:22 PM 444 Views
That pretty much echoes my opinion on the subject - 06/02/2012 12:56:49 AM 502 Views
Holy text-wall, Batman! - 06/02/2012 12:49:28 PM 401 Views
I did not ask for alternative LAWS, Obama did; I merely quoted him, and this article mentions no law - 07/02/2012 04:50:14 AM 525 Views
you're confusing the issue - 07/02/2012 06:22:30 AM 392 Views
No, I am clarifying the issue. - 07/02/2012 06:54:40 AM 511 Views
again, you are taking the wrong approach - 07/02/2012 03:57:03 PM 490 Views
I disagree, and there are factual errors in your statements. - 07/02/2012 07:36:16 PM 467 Views
actually, there are not - 08/02/2012 04:15:09 AM 376 Views
Yeah, actually there are. - 09/02/2012 01:53:02 AM 484 Views
Re: Yeah, actually there are. - 10/02/2012 04:11:10 AM 418 Views
Technically, the first point is true, but I disagree the distinction is important in terms of piracy - 12/02/2012 01:09:01 AM 416 Views
Re: No, I am clarifying the issue. - 07/02/2012 07:52:42 PM 438 Views
It is not the same as taping an album for a friend. - 09/02/2012 01:18:42 AM 484 Views
Re: It is not the same as taping an album for a friend. - 09/02/2012 10:39:05 PM 383 Views
Re: It is not the same as taping an album for a friend. - 12/02/2012 12:04:57 AM 472 Views

Reply to Message